DJI "drone" flier arrested/Aircraft confiscated

The first cop wanted him to stop flying. Instead of landing his drone in and going away, Mr. Zebra chose to insult and debate with the police.

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to confiscate his Phantom was made after he escalated the situation.

This is a great video because it's a textbook example of how not to deal with police.

ClipI haveer707 said:
The first cop wanted him to stop flying. Instead of landing his drone in and going away, Mr. Zebra chose to insulted and debate with the police.

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to confiscate his Phantom was made after he escalated the situation.

This is a great video because it's a textbook example of how not to deal with police.
Completely agree with this. He could have just said I understand, landed and moved to a different area.

Most police are reasonable if you talk to them. Intentionally trying to escalate the situation is just dumb.

I'm not a big fan of the po-lease, But you have to give them props for being patient with this jerk off. About 5 minutes in I would have the taser and night stick out.I would have gone all Rodney King on his butt. :twisted: He's just trying to bait the cops into doing something wrong. They were very polite and professional about it. I only lasted about 3 minutes, his voice was getting on my nerves.
Where is a flyaway when you need one?
Can someone in the LA area go and hijack his phantom and crash it every time he flies?

I'm not a big fan of the po-lease, But you have to give them props for being patient with this jerk off. About 5 minutes in I would have the taser and night stick out.I would have gone all Rodney King on his butt. :twisted: He's just trying to bait the cops into doing something wrong. They were very polite and professional about it. I only lasted about 3 minutes, his voice was getting on my nerves.

Good thing a mentally unstable and weak minded easlu incited hothead who would not be able to control them selves and act professionally and who could be incited to commit violent felony's against someone and not be able to keep his cool for longer then 5 minutes is not a cop. or in a any public services. Really if you could not handle that guy for 5 minutes before losing your cool and end up costing the tax payers millions of dollars. You definitely would not be able to even make it threw one day on patrol.

This cop seemed to be pretty professional. He didn't get worked up or hot under the collar over it and didn't take it personal. nore should he off people not only have a right to ? authority as an American citizen its a good citizens duty to..

I dont see any big issue hear. The kid broke some ordinance that obviously was not any sort of criminal offense or if so not any thing that the cops seemed to think was any big deal and they issued him a ticket. Tho its hardly not very likely he will get his drone back being they never can find any thing when some one gets to go and retrieve it. But they gave him a property receipt for it so the tax payers will more the likely be havering to buy him a brand new one after if it ends up lost like most stuff does.

This guy has antagonized the police for a long time. All my praise goes to the officers and their professionalism. I am sure all the officers know this guy and have had frustrating encounters with him in the past.
This guy is the best reason to make licensing of uav pilots a reality.

J.James said:

Good thing a mentally unstable and weak minded easily incited hothead who would not be able to control themselves and act professionally and who could be incited to commit violent felony's against someone and not be able to keep his cool for longer then 5 minutes is not a cop. Or in (not needed) any public services. Really if you could not handle that guy for 5 minutes before losing your cool and end up costing the tax payers millions of dollars. You definitely would not be able to even make it through one day on patrol.

This cop seemed to be pretty professional. He didn't get worked up or hot under the collar over it and didn't take it personal. Nor (?) ? Authority as an American citizen its a good citizens duty to.. This makes no sense

I dont see any big issue here. The kid broke some ordinance that obviously was not any sort of criminal offense or if so not any thing that the cops seemed to think was any big deal and they issued him a ticket. Though its hardly not very likely he will get his drone back being they never can find any thing when someone gets to go and retrieve it. But they gave him a property receipt for it so the tax payers will more the likely be having to buy him a brand new one after, if it ends up lost like most stuff does.
Lighten up Francis, it was humor. Pull that stick out of your *** and have a laugh. Maybe you missed the part about me saying how professional they were.
Maybe you should proofread and use a spell checker.
It's too bad I got chastised by a low IQ illiterate.

now now girls. don't get your panties all up in a bunch :)

Seriously though, that guy seems like a menace to the LAPD and he walks a very fine line of free speech/harassment.
Just imagine you have to do your job every single day and this one person will constantly make it hard for you.
I too am surprised he hasn't been the subject of a beat down. I wouldn't blame them one bit.

From his other videos, it seems like he is well known to the cops and they probably have a special rule to avoid him as much as possible.

The navy didn't give 2 shits though lol

in cas you're wondering about that city code.....

http://www.laparks.org/venice/pdf/lamc63.pdf

No person shall land, release, take off or fly any balloon, except children toy balloons not inflated with
any flammable material, helicopter, parakite, hang glider, aircraft or powered models thereof, except in areas
specifically set aside therefor

DJI "drone" flier arrested/Aircraft confiscated

Suwaneeguy said:

No person shall land, release, take off or fly any balloon, except children toy balloons not inflated with
any flammable material, helicopter, parakite, hang glider, aircraft or powered models thereof, except in areas

Yes I posted this above. This thread is now repeating itself and eating it's own tail. Time for it to die :)

Suwaneeguy said:

Does anyone know which Los Angeles County parks have "areas specifically set aside" for r/c quadcopter flying? Or are we banned in all Los Angeles County parks?

I'm looking to fly in LA. Ideally empty parks as I want flat area without trees, buildings, and people around. Now that I know about this law in parks, what are my options? Any ideas are welcomed. Also, what about land operated by Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority in LA? The only law that might prohibit flying a phantom in MRCA land would be the following. Anyone think this applies to drones or just aircraft with people in it.
"§ 3.17. Flight. No person shall parachute into, fly an unlicensed aircraft, ultralight vehicle, helicopter, or hang glider over, or parasail or balloon at an altitude of less than 500 feet except by permit signed by the Executive Officer or the Executive Officer's designee. Violation of this section is punishable pursuant to § 5.0(a) and § 6.2.1(b)(2). "

Turns out one of the parks near my house is operated by California Department of Parks and Recreation. Does anyone know if they have any ordinance like the one LA parks and recreation have?

ohseedee said:
Turns out one of the parks near my house is operated by California Department of Parks and Recreation. Does anyone know if they have any ordinance like the one LA parks and recreation have?

As far as I know, California State Parks have no regulations banning 'drones'. (At least, I hope not, because I've flown at several CA State Parks :) However, this lack oi regulation is likely due mostly to CA State Parks (aka. Department of Parks and Recreation) management being totally disfunctional (and poorly funded). Perhaps they just haven't gotten around to passing regulations banning 'drones'. (Should that happen, almost all of the scenic places in California would become off limits :-(

finlayson said:
Suwaneeguy said:

Does anyone know which Los Angeles County parks have "areas specifically set aside" for r/c quadcopter flying? Or are we banned in all Los Angeles County parks?

There is an LA County authorized RC field at Whittier Narrows. Requires AMA to fly there.

In the City of LA, there is the Sepulveda Basin Field (Apollo 11 field) and also a site at the Field of Dream Park in San Pedro (restricted use).

By in large neither the County or City really enforce these laws to any great degree. If they get a complaint the police will come and tell you to leave. Same in Orange County.

You can currently fly pretty much anywhere in LA (except for near the airports). Go to the park, find some open space, be careful, have fun.

SilentAV8R said:
ohseedee said:
I'm looking to fly in LA.

LA is a very large place. Where are you in LA?

Specifically I'm in East LA north of Downtown. I'm pretty much between Glendale and Pasadena, and I'm thinking those cities might be better options.

SilentAV8R said:
finlayson said:
Suwaneeguy said:

In the City of LA, there is the Sepulveda Basin Field (Apollo 11 field) and also a site at the Field of Dream Park in San Pedro (restricted use).

I don't live too far from Sepulveda Basin Field. Are there any membership requirements? Looking at google maps there is a small lake that might be cool to fly over. Can you fly anywhere in this park are must you keep to certain designated areas? Thanks

samd012 said:
He was not arrested but ticketed. They did take the quad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtqVLMGV74
that video was alot more revealing that the short editted version in the news article. If he'd of been more cooperative with the younger officer at the beginning instead of withholding his name etc he might of been on his way home before the other Police officers turned up. Even in that longer video there was a few audio edits which made me suspicious to what he didn't want other hearing, wonder why. Also the officer who wrote his purchase receipt kept referring to flying over a Police staton, so theirs more video missing & looks like the intention was purely to wind up the Police

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj