DJI app for P4 and flying within 5 miles of airport

mjw

Reaction score
Last week, inspection a roof - my location was right next to an unmanned airport - just for fun I started up my P4 and as expected the aircraft would not launch due to the airspace issue - my question is with the new release (not sure if its the app or P4 software) - how restrictive is this new release going to be - for example tomorrow I am inspection a house that is within a 5 mile radius of a small airport but not as close as the one mentioned above - I have flown in this area before, many times, but what has the new release changed if anything

from what i've seen the restriction just brings up a waiver you have to check some boxes and confirm you have permissions to fly. I don't believe it blocks you in any way.

You can check DJI's online GEO map to see what locations are reported. You won't see very small airports, which I suspect is what you have since you call it unmanned. It mainly shows very large airports and prisons.

It does show up on the FAA b4ufly app and the dji app would not let me take off or override anything - just checked dji geo, the unmanned airport in Parker County, Texas is geo blocked and cannot be overridden......hey, thanks for the tip about the map.......

from what i've seen the restriction just brings up a waiver you have to check some boxes and confirm you have permissions to fly. I don't believe it blocks you in any way.
Nope, there are zones within warning zones that will not let you unblock the restriction and you cannot start the aircraft.......just found that out on dpi geo mapping........

Last weekend the same thing happened to me. A very small airport in Crystal River Fl. I guess I need to find out the other airports that I get permission to fly. That's not fair, I fly quite often with permission

Last weekend the same thing happened to me. A very small airport in Crystal River Fl. I guess I need to find out the other airports that I get permission to fly. That's not fair, I fly quite often with permission
I sent DJI folks an email about this little airport - there is a similar one 15 miles away - not manned, two runways, small commercial flights and it does not have unable to unlock rating - wonder if they will address what I passed on to them - both airpots should be treated the same and actually the one 15 miles away should probably be the one that can't be unlocked - I inspected a house roof) less than a mile from it called to notify them and unlocked my P4 - go figure

This is making me nervous since I live 4.8 miles from a small airport. I stopped in there today and talked to one of the operators there (probably a pilot) and he gave me a card and told me to call but as long as I stay at 400 feet or lower I should have no issues with them. There has to be a way to turn off the blocking mechanism. I saw brew forebrain mentioned there was a procedure of checking boxes or whatever, if there could be more specific instructions on how to do this it would probably help out everyone with the newer updates.

google dpi geo mapping - someone on this thread posted that suggestion previously - very explanatory - that how i found out about the small airport being defined as unlockable (small perimeter) and therefore the P4 would not fly - I have unlocked my P4 when in close proximity to airports that were not designated as blocked - this blocked thing is my first experience with it -

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl