DIY Fishing helper P3P

Reaction score
OK ... I have specifically aimed this at P3P for good reason.

One because of the physical dimensions of the P3, and second because the P3P has the VPS sensors.

Background to the post :

Latvia has a good western beach coastline. This time of year is prime time for 'Flatfish' to be just offshore ... if waves are not breaking too far off - within casting distance, but given the prevailing SW winds - often the waves are breaking too hard and your tackle gets washed back into shallows.
The tackle used is generally a decent lead sinker ... 80 - 100gr at least ... then three hooks spaced about 20 - 30cms apart up the line. Some people use booms but often the hooks are just about 5cms on short leaders.

My idea is to have a simple rod pin horizontal between two legs pointing fwd ... take off, hover, slip the ring of the sinker over the pin ... fly out to drop point, turn 180 and stop the line so it slides of the pin into the water. Fly back.

Total time ? Maybe 4 mins ??

It brings in the question :

1. For multiple drops - do I ignore my usual rule of not taking off with a previous used battery ? I have 3 batterys and I would guess I am going to need about 12 or more flight drops. I am quite a way from the car so recharge is a bit of a hassle. Can I trust say 3 flights per battery at ~4mins without recharge .. Each flight will have a switch of after each.
2. What can go wrong ??? I hope I remember to disable VPS ... but that's not g'teed !
3. Am I risking losing my Pride and Joy !!
4. If I let line run free of fixed spool reel am I risking line tangles ?
5. Is it advisable to have helper control the rod and line ?

I am interested in anyone else who is doing similar with a P3A or P3P ... especially what fittings / design / video if possible ?

Here's an example similar to what I am thinking of ... but I think he made error in using a battery more than once or twice to fly out ... (common error of people thinking they can fly again on a used battery) ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I use the Gannet XSport bait release. It’s foolproof. Releases automatically if trouble. Worth $60 to save the drone. The style you are using has been around awhile with good and Very Bad results. Good luck.
No problems using the battery multi trips. But not below 30%. Have fun fishin’

I have 2 of the Gannet bait release systems on my P4’s and just, prerelease, purchased the Gannet Pro waterproof fishing drone with 4K camera. Please consider a professional release system if possible. Again, good luck and good fishing.
Our ‘Flatty’s’ have just arrived off the beaches as well. Not the 10lb+ fish of the past but nice size anyhow. YUM!

Here's an example similar to what I am thinking of ... but I think he made error in using a battery more than once or twice to fly out ... (common error of people thinking they can fly again on a used battery) ...

He either had a backlash or accidentally put the reel in gear resulting in the crash when returning to forward motion. It was literally flown into the sea. Without a fail safe release system, it will happen eventually.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I have 2 of the Gannet bait release systems on my P4’s and just, prerelease, purchased the Gannet Pro waterproof fishing drone with 4K camera. Please consider a professional release system if possible. Again, good luck and good fishing.
Our ‘Flatty’s’ have just arrived off the beaches as well. Not the 10lb+ fish of the past but nice size anyhow. YUM!

Just googled it .... £77,207.00 ??????

That was the total amount of money raised in the promotion. LOL. Got mine for $1200 with 4K camera.

Ok I been using just a straight rod mounted on the rear so I can just place swivel on,,make sure line drag not to tight and wind and breeze direction a must to take note of,,some e drops I was flying sideways out around 900ft just to get out of the shallow water,,depending on how much line on the reel you can keep flying forward and tighten drag and line comes off back nicely,,winding it in not to much fun,need electric reel for this,,I did stop doing this method in fear of a swim,,works well but risk of line in props with lot of line out so was never just straight out flight,,,,I used sport mode cause more stable when using weight,,just had 4 hooks and 4 once sinker on braided line pulled by p4,,yet to get a fishing drop release or a decent fish for that matter,,,even line coming off surfcaster reel can bird nest because it does peel the line out quickly and the reel certainly screams that's why I had bit of drag on reel set,,free spool on the reel I say just might bird nest up,when watching you see how fast she spins

Reactions: Capt KO
Thank God for high-speed reels. It would take an hour to get my line back with some of my old reels, but they'll also pull in a thousand pound dead shark, just veeery slowly. Keep fishin' Ian ?

Thank God for high-speed reels. It would take an hour to get my line back with some of my old reels, but they'll also pull in a thousand pound dead shark, just veeery slowly. Keep fishin' Ian ?
Lol yeh my shark was a bit of a tree,,I even had onlookers to see what I caught after a long 30min winding on surfcaster ,my arms and back was dead,hey look a tree branch ,,all that for that phew,funny though,that was out just under 1000ft out,strange how things can appear to take line but was large branch in the currents,,full stand off with a tree that wanted to pull me in,lol,,I thought I had caught large shark due to the way it act in the water,,my crowd left and I stuck with a gaint stick and pile of seaweed stuck to it,,:oops:

Lol yeh my shark was a bit of a tree,,I even had onlookers to see what I caught after a long 30min winding on surfcaster ,my arms and back was dead,hey look a tree branch ,,all that for that phew,funny though,that was out just under 1000ft out,strange how things can appear to take line but was large branch in the currents,,full stand off with a tree that wanted to pull me in,lol,,I thought I had caught large shark due to the way it act in the water,,my crowd left and I stuck with a gaint stick and pile of seaweed stuck to it,,:oops:
Thanks Ian. The wife and I just got a Good laugh from that. Been there. Fishermen hooked to the bottom and fight it for an hour. Mercifully the line breaks but they have the “One that got away” story of a lifetime. LOL

That was the total amount of money raised in the promotion. LOL. Got mine for $1200 with 4K camera.

Just googled and saw the figure ... fell out of my chair ... didn't want to look further !! But watched a video - interested to hear and read - it has DJI gear in it !!

Anyway at $1200 ... its not on my list. Original post was about ideas to fit to my P3P.

Tks anyway.

I'm only looking for 150 - 200m max with good days 100m only ... my Fixed Spool job is fine.

I'm looking at some of the lesser Multi-Rotors I have also ... they may be good enough if they can lift that sinker and pull the line.

Just need to get to water just a little further than the wave breakers ...

I'm only looking for 150 - 200m max with good days 100m only ... my Fixed Spool job is fine.

I'm looking at some of the lesser Multi-Rotors I have also ... they may be good enough if they can lift that sinker and pull the line.

Just need to get to water just a little further than the wave breakers ...
He's what I used...its picture was first invention, good if use light tackle or it bend and break...2nd pic is how drone is now,for fishing and line clip and swivel clips on alloy that I cable tied on,works very good...its also holding me strobes
Screenshot_20191201-104522_Chrome.jpg
20191201_104645.jpg

Reactions: PVRNZ and Capt KO
use a clothespin in the middle under a phantom 2v+ weight and 6 hooks send it straight out for 600 odd meters can not see it any more boss sees it from veranda with binocs I stop the line from going out and turn of the controller after what seems a long time it lands within 3 ft of the + in the sand from where it took of , yep even with a 5 to 1 reel still takes a long time to find out you have no fish.

Background music needs to turned down, it distracts from the subject matter.

• Haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.