dive boat, off south tip of Isla Mujeres

Reaction score
Flying from shore. My company dive boat. I've flown from the boat too, while tied to a buoy. Lots of good space. I recently started work on a 34 foot sailboat, trying to figure out how to fly from in and around the rigging, while moving. I'm pretty good at hand launch and catch but sailboat a whole different ballgame! Any tips?

Attachments

• amalia aerial.jpg
    amalia aerial.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 260
  • DJI_0003.Vivid_shr.jpg
    DJI_0003.Vivid_shr.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 255
Prop Guards and Butterfly net?

Rod

Reactions: IslaJim
Prop Guards and Butterfly net?

Rod
You got me thinking. the sailboat has a big dinghy davit actually begging for a solar panel mount that would make a great takeoff and landing pad. Or I could mount a seat up there for me to hand launch and catch. with a belt. LOL. I wonder if a flypaper/contact paper sticky pad would work. Or velcro on the struts and pad. hmmm. Stick the landing! Give me a moment.

Your funnier then me.

I got neighbor friend that ask if I could / would get some video of his family sailing.
I said sure, then I started reading some posts, and some thinking.

Hum, next time he ask me.

I said you probably would won't the sails up?
I would be needing to dodge ropes and sails while flying and landing?
It would be Windy?
And my home point would be constantly changing?

His is big enough that he took a three week trip two weeks were on the ocean.
I have never been on a sailboat.

I think we both agreed that this not a good idea, or at least this is not in my skills, maybe later.

I have enough trouble with trees, and the drone is the only thing that is the variable. ;)

Rod

Your funnier then me.

I got neighbor friend that ask if I could / would get some video of his family sailing.
I said sure, then I started reading some posts, and some thinking.

Hum, next time he ask me.

I said you probably would won't the sails up?
I would be needing to dodge ropes and sails while flying and landing?
It would be Windy?
And my home point would be constantly changing?

His is big enough that he took a three week trip two weeks were on the ocean.
I have never been on a sailboat.

I think we both agreed that this not a good idea, or at least this is not in my skills, maybe later.

I have enough trouble with trees, and the drone is the only thing that is the variable. ;)

Rod
Yes, I think the choices are: another boat for the drone launch, power boat, or they sail close enough to shore that you can fly from land!

Yes, I think the choices are: another boat for the drone launch, power boat, or they sail close enough to shore that you can fly from land!
This is exactly my first thought.

Set up the dinghy - launch the drone - shoot pictures/videos of the sailboat when it sails by - have someone you trust to hand catch your drone when landing.

I would only land in Sport Mode. Do not trust it to 'Come Home' on it's own. To many variables!

Can't wait to see some pictures.

Reactions: RodPad
I've done the launch and recovery, but only from a small pontoon boat on the Potomac River near Harpers Ferry West Virginia --

My friend (who owns the boat) is a very steady guy, and was able to catch my drone safely while we were drifting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and my favorite --

Reactions: sdileon
If your device has cellular, meaning it has an included GPS, you can always make your remote control your homepoint. Also allows 'follow mode'. Otherwise your home point is going to be somewhere behind you, even if you update HP continuously. Adding an portable bluetooth GPS to your device is another option (what I use). Most of the time when I fly from boats, I hand launch and land. (P4's)

we do hand catch and release off the boat, have a p4, easy to do
agree with Mrmotion, it is nerve racking, even having done it a bunch

this was the very first time I launched it from the boat a couple years ago

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers