Distance, distance,distance...Doing research and design

Reaction score
So Ive done some searching in the forum and Ive found some decent examples and explanations, but here is what we are looking to do on our 8000 private acres..

We have an old forest fire tower we want to convert into a drone launch/control. We have several P4 drone that we want to use for the project. We need to get about 4-5 miles. The tower is easily about 250 ft above any other object on the property (it is set on top of a mountain), so line of sight is no hurdle.

Question: what is your method for obtaining the 34k-45k ft horizontal flight distance? How can I find the directions and/or information to obtain this distance ourselves?

Granted, we are staying below 400 ft and using spotters with FAA licensed pilots.

Thanks
Brady

Will you flights be automated? Even with an upgraded antenna system that kind of distance may still be unreachable.

We need to get about 4-5 miles.

and using spotters with FAA licensed pilots.

Better check the FAA regs on that... i don't think remote spotters are allowed?

And when you say '45k ft. horizontal flight distance', I hope you mean round trip - not one way. I doubt you would get 17 miles out of one battery

Check out Litchi for autonomous flight

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Double tap

Given the right conditions, I think 4 - 5 miles distance from home point with a P4S is doable, although 35 - 45k feet down range with a return trip isn't likely without additional battery capacity. With a stock setup, safely, you're probably going to max out the battery somewhere around 52,000 ft. I've managed to get roughly 3.5 miles downrange with my stock P4S, but that was flying over flat, open farm land with few obstructions without really pushing it. With the transmitter at 250 AGL, that should place you above most obstructions and would likely help maximize your distance. An inexpensive slip-on antenna signal reflector might be worth a shot as well. Open bodies of water should help improve signal propagation as well. Good luck.

Not automated, all by video control. Also, looking to lanch 2x at a time, one for north property, one for south and have 2 established landing zones to prevent unneeded battery waste with return flights

Attached picture of tower for your viewing pleasure

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180704-115831_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20180704-115831_Video Player.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 443
Reactions: MTO
You should probably apply for a VLOS waiver with the FAA, Since you will be on your own property it may be pretty easy to get.

So Ive done some searching in the forum and Ive found some decent examples and explanations, but here is what we are looking to do on our 8000 private acres..

We have an old forest fire tower we want to convert into a drone launch/control. We have several P4 drone that we want to use for the project. We need to get about 4-5 miles. The tower is easily about 250 ft above any other object on the property (it is set on top of a mountain), so line of sight is no hurdle.

Question: what is your method for obtaining the 34k-45k ft horizontal flight distance? How can I find the directions and/or information to obtain this distance ourselves?

Granted, we are staying below 400 ft and using spotters with FAA licensed pilots.

Thanks
Brady
That's a mighty nice looking tower. Have you launched from there before? I am guessing you might have compass problems launching from there with all of that metal around.

Thanks
Brady
Parrot Disco with an upgraded battery will do at least 60Km. It can also be configured to fly over 4G fairly easily with very little latency. One heck of a bird if you ask me. Anyway, 34-45Km you need a wing, not a drone.

Maybe check out my p3 standard ranges
I’m getting close to 3 miles now

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Rohanm
Visual observers are allowed. They just need to be trained and be in communication with the pilot and each other.
VO's are always allowed, however, here in the U.S. currently, a V.O. or anything for that matter doesn't waive FAA part 107 VLOS regulations. If you applied for and received a BVLOS certification from FAA then I would be looking into some of the dual battery implementations. If not, why tell the world you're about to bust an FAA reg?

Thanks
Brady
For the control and telemetry I would contact Titan Drones and have them build you a couple of their custom built "Ground Stations" with remote antennas and higher powered amplifiers. They do the best work I've seen, and their customer service is second to none. Oh, and they're in the US! https://www.commandcase.com/online-store

My personal record with a stock battery on a P3 Pro is about 4.1 miles --- but that was under ideal conditions where it was absolutely calm, and I barely made it back to the launch point with only 2% left on the battery. I was also using the FPVLR dual-amp booster kit to get a solid FPV signal the whole way out.

I would say getting 4-5 miles range is going to be tough unless you get a battery mod that will get you an extra 5-7 minutes on the flight time, and you are also flying under calm conditions. Otherwise, I'd think about fixed wing foamie where you can get 45+ min. of flight time.

You never really mentioned why you need to fly this kind of range --- surveillance of the property ??

Here is a screenshot from a stock distance test today. Ordered some windsurfers and ill try that... I may need to contact titan drones also! Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180707-151622.jpg
    Screenshot_20180707-151622.jpg
    993.1 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: Rohanm
We are looking to perform multiple operations from security, crop management, wildlife management, and construction/agricultural/land management progress reporting

My personal record with a stock battery on a P3 Pro is about 4.1 miles --- but that was under ideal conditions where it was absolutely calm, and I barely made it back to the launch point with only 2% left on the battery. I was also using the FPVLR dual-amp booster kit to get a solid FPV signal the whole way out.

I would say getting 4-5 miles range is going to be tough unless you get a battery mod that will get you an extra 5-7 minutes on the flight time, and you are also flying under calm conditions. Otherwise, I'd think about fixed wing foamie where you can get 45+ min. of flight time.

You never really mentioned why you need to fly this kind of range --- surveillance of the property ??

Here is a screenshot from a stock distance test today. Ordered some windsurfers and ill try that... I may need to contact titan drones also! Thanks

You may want to contact these folks --- 175 minute flight time and 50+ mile range !! :p

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic