Discharging batteries before traveling

Lipo health is best a 50% charge. I like a healthy batt when it is riding beside me at 35,000 ft.

I did a little Googling trying to find a good article, from a reputable source, that wasn't a specific batt manufacture. (does anyone know who makes DJI batts?) While I am sure you can find plenty others, Servo-City is certainly a reputable source. Lots of math. DJI smart batt voltage doesn't conform to any standard 4S voltage, so the specific math is close but not exact. The good thing is, the math is not necessary! :cool: The Go App tells us where 50% is. 50% is where I fly
Tips for Storing your LiPo Batteries | ServoCity Blog

According to DJI, you need to fully discharge the battery, not 50%. The DJI Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines say,
"Before carrying the Intelligent Flight Battery on an airline flight, it must first be fully discharged. This can be done by using your aircraft until the battery is depleted. Only discharge the battery in a fireproof location."

According to DJI, you need to fully discharge the battery, not 50%. The DJI Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines say,
"Before carrying the Intelligent Flight Battery on an airline flight, it must first be fully discharged. This can be done by using your aircraft until the battery is depleted. Only discharge the battery in a fireproof location."
None of the airlines, FAA etc that I've checked suggest that you discharge your battery before flying and I've never heard of anyone checking at the airport.
DJI's note seems to come from the IATA rules on shipping lipo batteries as cargo - not for carrying on with a passenger.

Reactions: N017RW
The discharge decision comes down to you own piece of mind. I had mine on carry-on and they never asked anything about it. TSA has long lines to address and they are catching hell from everyone as the country becomes apathetic again.

I dont know if its in the TSA documents, but common sense says its a very good idea to discharge your lipo batteries before taking them on an airplane. Discharged, they pose almost no risk as the dont contain a lot of energy to cause a fire. Fully charged, these batteries are potentially very dangerous.

Ive played around with old lipo batteries, I put an old discharged 4000Mah 4S on a barbeque, and when it finally "exploded", a blowtorch flame erupted that was less spectacular than striking a match.. Try the same with a fully charged one, as you can see on a bazillion youtube videos, and you better make sure you're no where near.

So yeah, discharge the battery before boarding a commercial flight, regardless if its required.

edit: found some pics to illustrate. Here is my bbq experiment:
DuStjFT.png

The big flame is the plastic hardcase burning. The small blowtorch pointing right is the lipo "explosion". Lasted all of 2 seconds with that intensity.

Last edited:
I dont know if its in the TSA documents, but common sense says its a very good idea to discharge your lipo batteries before taking them on an airplane. Discharged, they pose almost no risk as the dont contain a lot of energy to cause a fire. Fully charged, these batteries are potentially very dangerous.

Ive played around with old lipo batteries, I put an old discharged 4000Mah 4S on a barbeque, and when it finally "exploded", a blowtorch flame erupted that was less spectacular than striking a match.. Try the same with a fully charged one, as you can see on a bazillion youtube videos, and you better make sure you're no where near.

So yeah, discharge the battery before boarding a commercial flight, regardless if its required.

edit: found some pics to illustrate. Here is my bbq experiment:
DuStjFT.png

The big flame is the plastic hardcase burning. The small blowtorch pointing right is the lipo "explosion". Lasted all of 2 seconds with that intensity.
Most of the damage caused by 'exploding' batteries is not the destruction caused by the 'blast', but rather the fire caused by it. I personally know of two fixed wing RC pilots who have lost their houses due to LIPO fires.

Most of the damage caused by 'exploding' batteries is not the destruction caused by the 'blast', but rather the fire caused by it. I personally know of two fixed wing RC pilots who have lost their houses due to LIPO fires.

Yes, of course. Dont get me wrong, lipo's are potentially dangerous and fire hazards, Ive had one explode in my house too when I charged it incorrectly, and its no joke. But they are FAR more hazardous when fully charged than when depleted.

Reactions: FantomFlier
It is a pain to find a fireproof location where the noise and flashing lights of the drone won't inconvenience me for the 4-6 hours it'll take to discharge every battery, but from now on I will try to do it before travelling, out of precaution. I already put them inside LiPo bags, which are quite bulky.
I can attest to what Meta4 said, I've been through more than a dozen airports in the US and Europe and even though the batteries catch the attention of security, no-one ever checked the charge level and there's no regulation about it for carry-on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers