Dinosaur?

That is what we imagined the P5.
I like Xdynamics attitude. They warn you of a NFZ, but never take control of the drone. They never recored your video. Your work stays yours. It is heavier then the Phantom, changeable cameras and a 33 minute fly time. With the aerodynaics, motor placement, it should fly as a cadillac of drones. If I wasn't married, I'd buy one right now! ( I hope my wife doesn't see this post.)
Very cool looking. Seems like it may be a good option for many on this forum. Unfortunately it is almost guaranteed that noone will support it for flight software. I hope they bring it! With dual screen we'll see on battery life and it's actually about 50% larger, not just a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: WV. Rootman
I have a P4Pv2 and Mavic Air. Love them both. I probably fly the Phantom more nowdays due to commercial work and the fact the perception of a larger drone is a more professional look.
The Mavic Air is a great backup but its portability is the winner in the recreational flying space.
I would like an infra red camera and a thermal but where do you stop and how much money can you spend.
It would be great if a stable platform like the P4 could interchange cameras to suit different applications without going to an inspire type craft (which i am not keen on at all due to the size, battery life and different weight class.)
Kind of a good point you made there. I fell in love with the Phantom because it was solid in the air (wind) and it just looked like a serious drone. When I saw the Mavics, they just looked like a toy...reminded me of those little $39 ripoffs you get at WalMart.

As responsible pilots, we're supposed to keep our quads in sight and I can still see my P4P at a distance much farther away than those Mavic types. Personal preference, I know, but I borrowed a friends Mavic Air and found it to be basically no more portable than my P4P V2. It really felt like a child's toy rather than a tool one could use to start a business.
The "miniaturization mania" just hasn't grabbed me yet, I guess.

Read all the above and there are some very good points.
Now, if I were DJI, I would be working on a Phantom 5 that had landing gear that would retract like their bigger craft. How cool would that be? So we would have the professional looking drone with stability and some portability. I would certainly go for it.

Reactions: MTO
Has anyone noticed there is very little Phantom activity on this forum compared to the Mavic forum? Are the Phantom flyers becoming dinosaurs?
I understand there are more Mavics out there than Phantoms, but there has to be a lot of Phantoms still flying.
I have a P4P and a Mavic Pro. Love both, but the Phantom is my go-to platform for the best photos. Mavic Pro is very close behind. Love its portability.
Any thoughts on this?
The weather is turning warmer here and I try not to miss a chance to fly. not just to film (which I Love), but to just get out and fly! I have had a lot of different Drones but my P4 is my favorite also. It's always ready to go and hasn't let me down. I would like to get a Mini 2 as a backup but after buying 3 P4 Batteries, I need to save some change for that. Happy Flying!

Now, if I were DJI, I would be working on a Phantom 5 that had landing gear that would retract like their bigger craft. How cool would that be? So we would have the professional looking drone with stability and some portability. I would certainly go for it.
Now your Talking! Retracts!!!

While I agree that this would be an awesome feature one of the things that makes the Phantom series so solid is the lack of mechanical parts. As with any machine the mechanical part is the most likely to fail first and in our experience landing gear on many of the UAVs we have used are no exception to this.

Haven't flown much lately, but when I do, I still enjoy my P3s.
My concern is parts. Luckily, knocking on wood here, I haven't had any close calls or crashes with mine, yet. If I ever do, will there be parts availability?
When I needed batteries, I could only find them on Amazon. I hate shopping Amazon. The only other option would be thru DJI. Maybe, I'm not google-foo'ing well enough or need to widen my searches.
Once you can't locate parts, it's on to the newest smallest thing or find one on e-bay and use it for parts.
A lot of us older people, will keep flying the Phantoms, just for the reasons mentioned above and I'm okay with that. H.B.

Reactions: chascoadmin
Haven't flown much lately, but when I do, I still enjoy my P3s.
My concern is parts. Luckily, knocking on wood here, I haven't had any close calls or crashes with mine, yet. If I ever do, will there be parts availability?
When I needed batteries, I could only find them on Amazon. I hate shopping Amazon. The only other option would be thru DJI. Maybe, I'm not google-foo'ing well enough or need to widen my searches.
Once you can't locate parts, it's on to the newest smallest thing or find one on e-bay and use it for parts.
A lot of us older people, will keep flying the Phantoms, just for the reasons mentioned above and I'm okay with that. H.B.
Luckily there are plenty of Phantom 3 parts still available. At least the ones that can be easily self-repaired. Dronenerds, multicopterwarehouse and dronesxpress are good options. Most of the Advanced and Pro parts are interchangeable. It's never a bad idea to pick up another unit while they available then use the casualty for parts if needed. Dronenerds has a refurb P3P for $500.

Luckily there are plenty of Phantom 3 parts still available. At least the ones that can be easily self-repaired. Dronenerds, multicopterwarehouse and dronesxpress are good options. Most of the Advanced and Pro parts are interchangeable. It's never a bad idea to pick up another unit while they available then use the casualty for parts if needed. Dronenerds has a refurb P3P for $500.
Thanks for the heads-up on Dronenerds and the other two. Since I haven't flown for awhile, so haven't crashed, parts aren't an issue. But, since I only have one drone (I know, silly me), I like to be ahead of the game and have my options available. I run R.C. trucks also, so I keep a few spare, high wear/breakage parts on hand. I do have some "spares", but not any major parts, like motors, bodies, etc. and the way my luck goes, I'll need something major and it will be unobtainium. Guess if we could predict the future, our problems would be a non-issue. H.P.

Kind of a good point you made there. I fell in love with the Phantom because it was solid in the air (wind) and it just looked like a serious drone. When I saw the Mavics, they just looked like a toy...reminded me of those little $39 ripoffs you get at WalMart.

As responsible pilots, we're supposed to keep our quads in sight and I can still see my P4P at a distance much farther away than those Mavic types. Personal preference, I know, but I borrowed a friends Mavic Air and found it to be basically no more portable than my P4P V2. It really felt like a child's toy rather than a tool one could use to start a business.
The "miniaturization mania" just hasn't grabbed me yet, I guess.

I remember when cell phones went down the miniaturization path. Motorola rolled smaller and smaller cell phones to satisfy customers desire for more compactness as it was perceived as “the smaller the better” by consumers. Then smart phones started appearing and the iPhones started getting larger and larger due to the demand for larger viewing area. However, with drones of course, you have so many other environmental factors. There has to be a sweet spot where form and function outweighs the desire for a compact and functional professional flying camera drone.

Reactions: chascoadmin
I remember when cell phones went down the miniaturization path. Motorola rolled smaller and smaller cell phones to satisfy customers desire for more compactness as it was perceived as “the smaller the better” by consumers. Then smart phones started appearing and the iPhones started getting larger and larger due to the demand for larger viewing area. However, with drones of course, you have so many other environmental factors. There has to be a sweet spot where form and function outweighs the desire for a compact and functional professional flying camera drone.
I think it partially depends on what you are going to do with it and what kind of winds you really want to fly in. I find our Yuneec H520's to be our sweet spots. When doing mapping there's nothing like the stability of a hexacopter unless you want to pay $7k+ for one of the bigger kits. I stop at about 15mph sus/25mph gust with the P4P and the Yuneec is 20-25mph sus/35-40mph gust.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I think it partially depends on what you are going to do with it and what kind of winds you really want to fly in. I find our Yuneec H520's to be our sweet spots. When doing mapping there's nothing like the stability of a hexacopter unless you want to pay $7k+ for one of the bigger kits. I stop at about 15mph sus/25mph gust with the P4P and the Yuneec is 20-25mph sus/35-40mph gust.
You mean there are other decent drones besides DJI. Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers