Dilema - Litchi or Autopilot as of Dec 2015

The problem with most of us guy is we like to open the box and try to put it together or in this instance fly.... The when we can't we read the instructions. In this case you have to read see and then do... Hope it works out with which ever you go with. For the most part I think practical and more simple so that put me in the arena with Litchi. Happy Flying!

Good point. Most of us say we are time poor these days.
That's me as well.

I completely disagree. Use facts and specifics if you are going to rip a product.
I'm about to publish a comparison between the two betas for waypoints on the iOS platform. It will be unbiased and databased. Each has their pros/cons....

Look forward to it. I am on the fence about Litchi and autopilot as well.

I completely disagree. Use facts and specifics if you are going to rip a product.
I'm about to publish a comparison between the two betas for waypoints on the iOS platform. It will be unbiased and databased. Each has their pros/cons....
You can disagree All you want, but the fact is that litchi is more intuitive and easier to set up, user friendly and cleanner gui.. I have both and i find myself using litchi alot more...

You can disagree All you want, but the fact is that litchi is more intuitive and easier to set up, user friendly and cleanner gui.. I have both and i find myself using litchi alot more...
We are always open to specific ideas about how to make Autopilot more approachable and usable, but we are also adamant about providing next-level functionality to professionals that are willing to take the learning curve. Having said that, we disagree with the premise of this thread. Why does it have to be an either/or thing? The reality is all apps have their own strengths and having many tools in your bag is a good thing, especially considering the price relative to the rest of your equipment.

We are always open to specific ideas about how to make Autopilot more approachable and usable, but we are also adamant about providing next-level functionality to professionals that are willing to take the learning curve. Having said that, we disagree with the premise of this thread. Why does it have to be an either/or thing? The reality is all apps have their own strengths and having many tools in your bag is a good thing, especially considering the price relative to the rest of your equipment.

Agree and i was in no way bashing your app but was stating something thats very clear.. Autopilot needs a more intutive GUI, if you want, i can give you some suggestion via pm..

Agree and i was in no way bashing your app but was stating something thats very clear.. Autopilot needs a more intutive GUI, if you want, i can give you some suggestion via pm..
We welcome your suggestions at [email protected]. You can also post them here (publicly) which opens the suggestions up for discussion and consensus. When making suggestions, make sure to think through all the various usage patterns, screen sizes, and device orientations as the app has many optimizations already depending on the situation. For example, just because something might work well on an iPad in landscape with a stationary operator doesn't mean it will carry over to an iPhone in portrait with a moving operator.

Last edited:
Reactions: huntjock

Well - this thread makes sense to me - there is no point me getting to learn Autopilot which is complex only to then have to end up using another app for something else and learning that as well.
I dont have the time to keep nuances of each app in my head.. Im too busy.

I want the best compromise in one app but would then consider something else for something very specific.
Like for example panorama.

I have just tried the Waypoint feature on the beta of the Autopilot - I didnt watch any vids on how to do it. Purposely.
I found just playing around Auto to be very powerful - thinking how id like to customise the waypoints.
It had very useful features to allow you to preview the flight path and watch when the camera would transition focus points.
I added waypoints moved them around - added new focus point apart from the default first one - moved them around - easily deformed and reformed my flight path and some basic mess around with focus strategy.
It all made sense really and with a bit of practice would make 2nd nature sense.

I didnt know that I could actually draw my path to a respect until after I watched '2nd2non' video
Which then makes the waypoint beta even easier
The complex stuff on top is just to make the video cooler
Im away from the bird for xmas so its good im playing around with it before trying it for real

I have a question about the camera settings - i believe im correct in saying that these are defaulted from the go app - and cant be changed in Autopilot.
I would like to have this feature so they can be changed - as I shoot in M mode always so i like to change things around using the shutter dial on the fly so to speak.

I have a question about the camera settings - i believe im correct in saying that these are defaulted from the go app - and cant be changed in Autopilot.
I would like to have this feature so they can be changed - as I shoot in M mode always so i like to change things around using the shutter dial on the fly so to speak.

Yes, as of now, all camera settings need to be set in the DJI app. This is on the roadmap for the future, but not there now.

If you haven't taken a look already, see the new how-to videos put out on AFL's Waypoint Mode.

I'm biased toward Autopilot, but I own and have tried many other Waypoint software solutions including Litchi and FPV Camera. Bluntly, with no documentation, there are simpler solutions to use if you just want to drop a few waypoints and send your quad up.

However, if you're willing to take 20 minutes and watch a video or two, I think you'll quickly see how intuitive the AFL solution is. And - if you want to do more powerful things, the options and capabilities are there. The ability to easily create a mission, test it with Path Inspector or Mission Preview, and modify it on the fly -- all before you leave the house -- is great.

I also think the dev's for all these software solutions are great. Not only are they addressing issues almost immediately as they surface, but adding HUGE new capabilities to the platform.

Experiment and see which one suits you best. At worst, buy 'em all and use the one that meets the need of the mission you're planning.

This is a great discussion and I'm on the fence about what app to get. One glaring thing for me is that Litchi is on version 1.0.0 right now. Doesn't that make the fans of the software nervous?

I fear my $1200 investment will be crash landed in a bug fixed in version 1.0.1.

The apps let you gain control back, just switch the switch on the controller. I have several, they all work pretty well. I think AFL Autopilot is superb, and I think Litichie will get there eventually but right now Autopilot has more features.

Alan

This is a great discussion and I'm on the fence about what app to get. One glaring thing for me is that Litchi is on version 1.0.0 right now. Doesn't that make the fans of the software nervous?

I fear my $1200 investment will be crash landed in a bug fixed in version 1.0.1.
Litchi iOS is on 1.0.0, but their android version has been out since the summer. The iOS version is rock solid. I haven't found any bugs after weeks of use, so no need to be nervous. One note- the iOS version doesn't have all the flight modes in the current android version. So, the price may make you pause. There's no ETA on when the developers will add those modes.

Reactions: jimerb
Starting out for me, I chose ipad air 2 and so I headed the Autoflightlogic - Autopilot direction and now you have options. The beginner mode of Orbit, follow me are similar to DJI go app., but the Intermediate and Advanced version of each allows your flight skills to take a step above. A couple of Modes of flight, I have no interest in, but zip line has great use for me. Cruise seemed really complex and I haven't taken the time to study it's use. The Waypoints has just started beta testing with early 2016 projected release, but this first video flying a golf course is unreal. Altitude, camera focus and many more can be seen on this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I found ZIP LINE to limited. You can't rotate to change poi. (focus point). So with autopilot I use waypoint to do zip line travel - but gives full control of focus point or multiple points. I understand wp wasn't working in your version. Today there's no comparison. I have both - why bother with Litchi. It is frustrating that autopilot lacks the GO apps start up and calibrate. I don't like swapping programs.

It is frustrating that autopilot lacks the GO apps start up and calibrate. I don't like swapping programs.
You can initiate the compass calibration procedure while in Autopilot by just flipping the RC Flight Mode switch 5 times. The Flight Dashboard status bar will then display messages indicating which part of the calibration should be performed (rotate horizontal, vertical, etc).

Litchi IOS 1.3.1 doing perfectly. Had a nice flight mission yesterday. Winter, no boats, but still a great day for a flight. I'm eventually gonna get AP as well, but litchi is getting it done very nicely.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic