Descending at .2 mps would not descend any faster

Reaction score
A few days ago my P4P was about 80 meters up. I tried to descend but it would not go any faster than .2 mps. It would go up at full speed but refused to descend any faster than .2. I decided to move horizontally and descend at the same time and it came down faster. It would only come down fast while moving forward or backwards. No warnings or other issues. Any thoughts?

A few days ago my P4P was about 80 meters up. I tried to descend but it would not go any faster than .2 mps. It would go up at full speed but refused to descend any faster than .2. I decided to move horizontally and descend at the same time and it came down faster. It would only come down fast while moving forward or backwards. No warnings or other issues. Any thoughts?
Have you fitted a gimbal guard to your Phantom?

I think that's pretty much normal behaviour. Mines the same way. If I bring it straight down it takes forever, give a little lateral movement in any direction and it comes down much faster.

I think that's pretty much normal behaviour. Mines the same way. If I bring it straight down it takes forever, give a little lateral movement in any direction and it comes down much faster.
Normal behaviour is to come down at 3 metres/sec as in the specs.
Adding forward motion makes the Phantom move faster but doesn't increase the rate of descent.
Very slow rates of descent can be triggered by the VPS if it getting a false reading.

Normal behaviour is to come down at 3 metres/sec as in the specs.
Adding forward motion makes the Phantom move faster but doesn't increase the rate of descent.
Very slow rates of descent can be triggered by the VPS if it getting a false reading.
Looking at the numbers across the bottom of the display (forget what they are called) it shows the rate of descent, they are defiantly higher wit lateral motion. It also "appears" to be coming down faster.

AM I incorrect in how I'm reading the information ????

Always looking to learn !

Looking at the numbers across the bottom of the display (forget what they are called) it shows the rate of descent, they are defiantly higher wit lateral motion. It also "appears" to be coming down faster.
The app shows your horizontal speed and vertical speed (HS & VS) which you can also check in the replay from your flight records.
But if a Phantom can't descend at 3 m/s vertically, something isn't normal.

If I read that correct, 3m/s would be almost 10 feet per second. Mine has never descended that fast. Going from memory (that's not always smart/correct), I think the fastest I can descend is 6.8 feet per second.

I had the same problem on my P4P a while back. It was the VPS. I cleaned the lenses and did a DJI Assistant2 full calibration and it was back to normal.

I also found it better to disable the VPS for my night flights.

Reactions: John Locke
I concur with JetLife. I had the same issue particularly at night and when I disabled VPS it works perfectly.

Reactions: JetLife

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20