defect seen in P3A still images

Reaction score
Hello all,

I unboxed my P3A Monday evening (6/15) and spent most of Tuesday (6/16) doing the firmware updates, IMU cal, stick cal and gimbal cal. None of these were easy and straightforward as the documentation leaves something to be desired. I finally had my maiden voyage Tuesday afternoon in Beginner Mode. Flight controls worked well, but I came across a couple of issues with the camera:

1. Still images in MOV or MP4 all have a defect in the image near the bottom. Check out the image I took of myself at the link below. At the bottom of the image you can see some horizontal parallel lines. These show up in every still image; they shouldn't be there. I tried restarting, taking more pics, etc., but the lines remain. Nothing visible on the lens or lens cover glass. Anybody have any ideas. Seems like a defective sensor to me. These lines DO NOT show up in the video.

[I'm having trouble posting a picture, but you can see it at this link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kjhart0133/18690299810/in/dateposted-public/ ]

2. I'm also having an issue with jittery/shaky video, but I still need to try some adjustments on the gimbal.

Thanks for any ideas on this still image issue.

Kevin H.

Reactions: trigger2010
Reactions: Kevin H.
Yes same here, did about 60 images yesterday. every one is bad. along with all the other new FW problems.

??Still images in MOV or MP4? Thats and your stills should be jpg or raw... mov and mp4 are video files.

??Still images in MOV or MP4? Thats and your stills should be jpg or raw... mov and mp4 are video files.
Doh! Sorry about that. Got my still and video problems jumbled up.

l did, however, just verify that the lines are not there in 16:9 format! This confirms the statements made in the other thread (see above) and leads me to believe it is a problem with the latest firmware update (v1.2.7 for P3A) and not the sensor itself.

Kevin H.

I did the firmware update yesterday and had a couple of great flights afterward.

I got to checking for these lines closely tonight and found that the JPG's that I shot have the exact same distortions that are reported in this thread. The pattern is identical, but the color depends on the surrounding color in the photo. BUT these lines are NOT there in the RAW (DNG) files.

I looked back on JPG's shot with the older firmware and these distortions are not present.

So, it seems that on 1.2.7, shooting in RAW + JPG or RAW only is even more important. For me, this is no big deal as I treat the JPG more like a preview anyway and do all of my real work on the RAW file. That said, hopefully it can be easily fixed in future versions.

Chris

Reactions: Kevin H.
I did the firmware update yesterday and had a couple of great flights afterward.

I got to checking for these lines closely tonight and found that the JPG's that I shot have the exact same distortions that are reported in this thread. The pattern is identical, but the color depends on the surrounding color in the photo. BUT these lines are NOT there in the RAW (DNG) files.

I looked back on JPG's shot with the older firmware and these distortions are not present.

So, it seems that on 1.2.7, shooting in RAW + JPG or RAW only is even more important. For me, this is no big deal as I treat the JPG more like a preview anyway and do all of my real work on the RAW file. That said, hopefully it can be easily fixed in future versions.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, I'm setting my photo mode to RAW+JPEG on my next flight.
Kevin H.

As far as faults go, this one is pretty minor.
It only affects just the very bottom of the image and is easily cropped or removed leaving a much bigger image than 16:9 would give you.
I'm still wanting DJI to fix it soon but it won't cause me too many difficulties meantime.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj