Dedicated tablet for DJI P3A

so why do I need a tablet with cell service again? I just plugged my ipad 2 air no cell model into the remote and it shows my home point I realize this has been answered here already but a quick answer would be better for me

What you described above is because your P3 has GPS. For Follow me, or dynamic home points to work you have to have GPS at the controller, which is only available if the tablet at the controller has GPS.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
thanks, thats right I remember that is why I got the ipad mini with cell. but I see I can just buy the ipad air 2 and not use the cell service as long as it has the capability for the gps. I guess when I am flying from the same location as when I launch I really do not need the dynamic home points and I could just use the mini that has the cell when I need to change home points during flight. I know it seems I should just buy the ipad air 2 and use it just for the phantom, and I may just do that. but I think I may wait and get the goggles instead... And I also just saw this at the top of this thread... Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to enable the cell service in order to use the GPS
thanks again

Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to enable the cell service in order to use the GPS
thanks again
Yes.. that right there! There is really no need for cell service when flying as maps can be pre-cached. Its all about what you plan to do, or think you might end up wanting to do in the future. I'de rather have the tools needed, if and when the time comes. Rather than start cheap and find out next week.. **** I wish I would'a!

I use Android for everything other than the P3, I bought an Air2 to dedicate to it and it has been flawless. I could not be happier with that decision. And that came from lots of research into what had problems. I want to take pictures and video not fight with the tablet.

Alan

I own a couple of Apple products, an aging iPad 4 (sadly incompatible with the app) and an iPhone 6+. Yet I got a Google Nexus 7 (http://amzn.to/1E8tCCt) specifically for use with my P3.

Overall the Nexus has worked well with the Phantom. The screen is a nice size, and the Nexus cost less than half of what a comparable iPad Mini with cellular GPS would have cost.

As a general use tablet, the Android OS still leaves me cold. But for the dedicated purpose of flying a P3, it's great.
Same situation here. I have other iOS stuff & I like it, but I didn't want to shell out that much cash & my current iPad is fine (just too old to be compatible with P3). I actually really like the Nexus I bought for flying & find myself using it more and more. Screen size is perfect for Phantom. I keep it free of junk software and it runs fine.

I bought an iPad 2 mini with a retina display when I bought my P3P and I love it.. I also recently got a new iPod touch 6th gen (released July 15). The mini is dedicated to the P3P.. It has its own foam cut out in the case :D.. Onetime I accidently let my minis battery drain so I decided to test out the iPod with the P3P and it worked great as a backup.. Screen is too small as a primary device.

People just dont know what to look for when shopping. I think I paid $259 for my iPad Air 2 16 gig cellular.
Open Box BABY!! Still had the protective plastic on it!

I buy a LOT of open box stuff - in fact, I bought my iPad 4 as an open box! (Saved around $150 on it back when they were $500 new.)

Still, you can't always find the right open box at the right time. And for $150 new, it's tough to beat the Nexus 7. Most of the time I just leave it in my P3 case. Heck, now you can get an open box / used Nexus 7 for less than $100. That is dirt cheap.

Reactions: BigAl07
I use Android for everything other than the P3, I bought an Air2 to dedicate to it and it has been flawless. I could not be happier with that decision. And that came from lots of research into what had problems. I want to take pictures and video not fight with the tablet.

Alan
yep I think that is what I am going to do as well. thanks for the information!!

I feel fortunate that I could test and fly several new iPads before final purchase of my iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular. I did like the size of the smaller IPad Mini 2, but my particular model got way too hot while using the old Pilot App. With the A8X CPU, it's "Cool Running".
I also found the iPad Air 2 to be light enough on the transmitter, but the larger screen was what is very much welcome. It's just far easier to see specific areas of the screen better. The Inspire 1 device holder is a must though. Even with the IPad Mini, it was felling very wobbly and rather unstable. Which leaves the pilot feeling some what unsettled.

There are also a few extra features within the iOS App, which make it more apealling for some, than the Android version.
But we pay for these, with the higher priced device.

RedHotPoker

Far better, How so? Once applied and secure, they actually appear to be very similar. it was great to order mine at the local hobby store, it was there less than a week later. How would you get one, without paying shipping? To save $4.

Happy these are available for us, at all. The original was too flimsy.

RedHotPoker

The thumb screw part is the only real change, and with its TWO locking nuts it will never work its way loose. The Inspire model does still work loose from time to time. I agree though, the original was a joke!

is the ipad air fits into the controller holder??
Although I use the the aluminum holder from an Inspire 1 controller, the iPad Air 2 does just barely fit even with a PadHat hood with the magnet.
I can get 2 clicks from the holder gear when I push the top to tighten the Air 2 into it.

what about the original holder coming with the p3p controler? can the ipad air fit in it?

what about the original holder coming with the p3p controler? can the ipad air fit in it?
There are folks using the P3 holder with the iPad Air 2 for sure. AFAIK the holders are exactly the same except for the aluminum integrated into the Inspire 1 holder.

Last edited:
So i checked my cell carrier and i can get 2 tablets at prolongation of my contract.

Samsung galaxy tab 4 LTE 10 " or Ipad Air 2. Im still not sure, is it better to take Android because of future litichi app?

I have also read alot of complaints on Galaxy tab and DJI app...
Yes the Samsung tab is awful . I had to buy a new tablet and went with the nvidia shield tablet and it's a beast . It has the fastest processor of any Android tablets . I highly recommend it!!

Reactions: mick74

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl