Dedicated P4P Range and Distance discussion

Dude the pro doesn't need any range mods that's the crazy part are you having bad range problems?

Nope i don't even have p4p yet :D.. Just p3p with more range than my external battery setup can handle (~10 000mAh). Kinda tempted to get p4p but i want to do distance runs because i'm kinda addicted to that.

All the records for phantom series are mostly done with p3a/p or p4.. seems like stock p4p can't beat
modded older models, so looking for antenna setups ..

Nope i don't even have p4p yet :D.. Just p3p with more range than my external battery setup can handle (~10 000mAh). Kinda tempted to get p4p but i want to do distance runs because i'm kinda addicted to that.

All the records for phantom series are mostly done with p3a/p or p4.. seems like stock p4p can't beat
modded older models, so looking for antenna setups ..
Oh its right there I can only imagine what this thing would do with a modded antenna holy crap and some extended batteries like I said on my second flight I got over 40,000 feet one way was 20,200... I still had signal no breakups only reason why I came home is because it said I didn't have enough battery (rth) I started the distance run with about 85% came back at 22% so I could have pushed it a little more.
P.s. and I am definitely in a very saturated area like I said my Phantom 4 with DBS mod would never get this range and I did this on my second flight with the p4p

Reactions: rulppa
So i want 5.8 for range and 2.4 for penetration correct?
2.4 GHz would be better for both penetration and range (the lower the frequency the better the performance on both counts), the problem with the range part is the amount of devices using the 2.4 GHz ISM band and the resultant level of noise in congested areas. If the 2.4 GHz band is quiet then it is preferable on both counts, but because it often is not the quieter 5.8 GHz band can sometimes work better in spite of the higher frequency.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
2.4 GHz would be better for both penetration and range (the lower the frequency the better the performance on both counts), the problem with the range part is the amount of devices using the 2.4 GHz ISM band and the resultant level of noise in congested areas. If the 2.4 GHz band is quiet then it is preferable on both counts, but because it often is not the quieter 5.8 GHz band can sometimes work better in spite of the higher frequency.
Correct ...nicely explained also the dbm for 5.8 (28) on the p4p is higher then 2.4. (26) Which explains it working nicely range wise

Correct ...nicely explained also the dbm for 5.8 (28) on the p4p is higher then 2.4. (26) Which explains it working nicely range wise
Yes, the RF output on 5.8 GHz is 2 dBm higher but then again the path loss is also a lot higher at 5.8 (about 8 dB higher at 2 miles so it more than nets out the difference.) But then again the antennas probably have more gain at 5.8 GHz so that gets some link performance back. I can be a complicated stew to calculate.

Well i tested today, out in the middle of an abandon coal mine, it was set to "auto" but below it i selected 2.4. It showed 2.4 at the top. I noticed screen glitches my entire flight, (video when i got home was crispy smooth in 4k30fps) is this from interference on 2.4?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well i tested today, out in the middle of an abandon coal mine, it was set to "auto" but below it i selected 2.4. It showed 2.4 at the top. I noticed screen glitches my entire flight, (video when i got home was crispy smooth in 4k30fps) is this from interference on 2.4?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes thats from the actual stream. Not whats recorded on the sd card.

So if I am reading all of this correctly, in my urban environment, I switch from AUTO to 5.8 and my range should be great, as opposed to 1/4 mile currently, just out of the box. If 1/4 mile is normal, back my P4P+ is going.

8.034 km (26.358 ft)
2.4GHz
Average speed: 50km/s
Return remaining battery: 20%
Stock model - no modifications, no boosters, just how it is out of the box.

Attachments

• 8.034 km.jpg
    8.034 km.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 8.034 km - 20% remaining battery.jpg
    8.034 km - 20% remaining battery.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 238
So if I am reading all of this correctly, in my urban environment, I switch from AUTO to 5.8 and my range should be great, as opposed to 1/4 mile currently, just out of the box. If 1/4 mile is normal, back my P4P+ is going.
Best range anywhere is in 5.8 Ghz AUTO. Make sure to select 5.8Ghz. 4+ miles at 100 feet or lower with clear LOS. 2.4 Ghz has terrible range on the P4P/P4P+, even with the channel hack. Check the power specs! DJI boosted the power on the 5.8 Ghz band! :cool:

Reactions: Onemanshow
Bought a P4P from B&H. Flew it in the countryside with little or no interference. 2.4GHZ auto with copper windsufers. Lost signal at 3.3kms, strangely RTH didn't engage for 50 seconds, which was very scary.
In that same location, several weeks ago, I flew my P3A with the same copper windsurfers up to 4.5kms.
Bottom line, my P3A has better range than my P4P. I haven't tried 5.8ghz, and I will, but still its a bummer that at 2.4 GHZ my P3A did better distance than my P4P.
What settings provide longest range for a P4P? Phone in Airplane mode? Obstacle avoidance disabled? Antennas parallel to each other as opposed to a V shape?
I's appreciate any comments.

Bought a P4P from B&H. .......
What settings provide longest range for a P4P? Phone in Airplane mode? Obstacle avoidance disabled? Antennas parallel to each other as opposed to a V shape?
I's appreciate any comments.
ALWAYS keeps your antennas parallel to the craft legs, IE VERTICAL. As @GadgetGuy said in post 134, fly 5.8Ghz auto, and using this kind of windsurfer helps too. To support map downloading you cannot fly in airplane mode, don't worry about that, it won't affect range. OA doesn't affect range, only your speed. It's best to leave OA on to keep your max speed to about 30mph to maximize battery efficiency. <30mph also minimizes the infamous "Gimbal-Flip-itus" from occurring, which is a chronic disease that many P4P's have, and DJI has no firmware antidote.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yup! Auto 5.8Ghz produces the best range, with clear LOS, on the P4P in highly urban areas, tested out to 5 miles, with just a windsurfer, at heights of 100 feet AGL or less! :cool:

Thank you guys. There doesn't seem to be that much use for 2.4GHZ then, even in areas with little or no interference.
By the way: I did have an episode of gimbal flipping while the drone was flying sideways.
Overall, the P4P seems a little bit disappointing compared to advertising and my expectations (owning a P3A which is great and trustworthy).

Thank you guys. There doesn't seem to be that much use for 2.4GHZ then, even in areas with little or no interference.
By the way: I did have an episode of gimbal flipping while the drone was flying sideways.
Overall, the P4P seems a little bit disappointing compared to advertising and my expectations (owning a P3A which is great and trustworthy).
In wind the infamous "gimbal-itus" will afflict many P4Ps. DJI can't come up with a firmware antidote for this disease, flipping sideways during high speed maneuvers, or windy conditions.

I felt like you do with my P4, having less range performance than my P3P. Then I found the Inspire controller helps to make the P4 fly as far and reliable as the P3P, problem solved. Then the P4P exhibited similar behavior at P4 for range when on 2.4Ghz. EVERYONE believed 5.8Ghz was worthless due to common knowledge that it doesn't penetrate walls as well in home wifi applications, so few people used it for wifi. Well, for DJI drones that belief is false, for range capability. Since 5.8 doesn't penetrate walls well, that means the interference outside flying drones is less. And the fact that less people use 5.8Ghz for Wifi application helps too. If you have LOS connection with the craft, 5.8Ghz rocks.

I'm not sure why you'd be disappointed overall with a P4P, coming from P3A.
1. The range exceeds 4mi (5.8Ghz Auto w/windsurfer), the P3A/P can only handle between 2 and 3mi w/windsurfer
2. The 5870Mah battery offers about 5 more minutes flight time versus P3A
3. The camera is clearly WAY better, sporting a 1" sensor, 20mp and 4K video, vs 12mp and 2700 video.
4. OA is handy in tight areas for an extra level of safety from collision.
5. With OA enabled it restricts you to about 30mph which is close to optimal for battery usage efficiency. This also minimizes the gimbal flip during high speed left turns.
6. The P4P will do over 40mph in S mode, the P3 tops out at about 33mph.
7. The clip on props are the bees knees. No more screwing around with props, and that wrench that always seems to get lost. :rolleyes:
8. Tripod mode is very handy, not available with P3A/P.

All you have to do is make sure you don't go beyond craft firmware 1.3.509 with your P4P and you'll be happy, IMO.

Last edited:
Indeed I am somewhat (not completely) disappointed so far. I haven't tried 5.8GHZ for distance yet, but I will.
Range: So far I've had a longer range with my P3A, 4.5kms vs 3.3kms with my P4P (but I haven't tried 5.8GHZ)
Battery: indeed the P4P battery is much better, but it's not of much help to me f I can't increase range (unless I use Litchi)
Camera: no doubt, P4P much better
OA: doesn't do much to me as I fly in wide open spaces, so it's nice to have, but not critical
Gimbal flip: never happened with my P3A! And it happened on my third flight on my P4P
Sport mode: very nice addition indeed
Clip-on props nice to have, not critical
Other: I think there's something wrong with the P4P RTH. When I lost signal, the aircraft hovered in place (which, since I had no signal, I only saw later on the drone's memory card footage) for about 50 seconds before initiating the return. That doesn't give me any confidence for future signal losses.
One feature I like a lot about the P4P is the ease to upgrade firmware versions, versus the P3A, which is cumbersome.
I don't know about firmwares, but I have the latest, possibly a mistake based on your last comment.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel