Dedicated P4P Range and Distance discussion

That is fantastic to hear. I actually noticed today that my drone flew out to about 16,000 feet and I noticed it stayed on 5.8 the whole time. That was as far as I was willing to push it today.
I don't care why it works, but it sure does!
Put the P4P HD setting in Auto and 5.8 Ghz and let her rip!
Now to get the other issues of flipping gimbals resolved, on left banking turns, which for a left hander, are hard to avoid! :cool:
A P4P battery mod will be next, once I have a perfectly working aircraft, as the mod will void my DJI warranty.

Not quite. The 5.8 can be more powerful. Again, DJI rates the same distance with the 5.8 as it does with the 2.4. I can fly well over 4 miles with either.

The 5.8ghz band has less range than 2.4, a simple
Experiment with your home wifi will proved this. 2.4 will provide significantly higher data throughout with increasing distance (compared to 5.8).

Glad you discovered it works. No need for a boosted setup on this craft. It is insane!

Aaron, you have made a true believer out of me! :D
Sorry for doubting you in the first place, but hopefully you will understand my previous skepticism. It is counter-intuitive to me that 5.8 Ghz should have better range. Thank you for being patient in answering my questions so I could find out what was different in our very similar setups. It works! I'm so happy!

I used Auto with 5.8 GHz selected on iOS on three back to back flights, late this afternoon and early evening, and, as you stated, it stayed in 5.8Ghz the entire flight, out to 4 miles away, over water on the first flight, before I turned around, only because of the battery, like you did. On my second flight, I flew it up a nearby mountain top to 3 miles away before turning around due to flying back against a strong headwind. After building up my confidence with the first two flights, I then flew it low over the 3 mile urban area between me and the beach, and was able to drop down to 25 feet over the water once reaching it, just like I do with my P4's with the boosted DBS-02 on the GL300A! I'm in awe! :)

THANK YOU! :cool:

Not quite. The 5.8 can be more powerful. Again, DJI rates the same distance with the 5.8 as it does with the 2.4. I can fly well over 4 miles with either.
The 5.8 might get better range with direct LOS, this will be due to less congestion from other devices. Not because it is "more powerful" as you are suggesting. 2.4 will perform significantly better if there are any obstacles in the signal path.

Bottom line: you can get 4.3 miles in 5.8ghz in a high interference area. And if you are in the middle of nowhere- you'll get the same with 2.4Ghz.

Either way your range is only limited by battery on the P4Pro.

The 5.8 might get better range with direct LOS, this will be due to less congestion from other devices. Not because it is "more powerful" as you are suggesting. 2.4 will perform significantly better if there are any obstacles in the signal path.

This would explain the different power outputs in the FCC ID# based upon frequency!

I feel so alone.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
While you wait for your issue to be resolved with DJI, you might consider picking up a replacement P4P from Best Buy to keep flying. They offer a liberal return policy of 15-45 days depending upon your purchases over the last 12 months ($1500+ for 30 days) , and then you can decide to return it or keep it as a backup bird or your main bird, before the return period, and, by then, your DJI claim will be resolved, one way or the other.:cool:

The best I've done is a little over 13000 ft. I wasn't really testing just flying lol. Do the parabolic antenna signal range boosters extend the range significantly or are they a waste of money?

The best I've done is a little over 13000 ft. I wasn't really testing just flying lol. Do the parabolic antenna signal range boosters extend the range significantly or are they a waste of money?
A well designed windsurfer should, potentially, increase the range by up to 30% or more, depending upon the environment, or make the signal more stable at the extremes, but also makes the signal much more directional.

So today I did a good test. Not scientific by any means but here goes.

I do this flight every month where I fly Behind a 12 story tall building. Same flight every month. Every time I did it with a P4 I ALWAYS lost sign at the corner farthest from me and had to be cancelled manually once I regained control.

Today with my P4P I had no such problem. Full signal at the same spot.

So much for a dedicated range and speed thread.... just post all of your other problems here as well....

Moderator - feel free to close this thread.

So much for a dedicated range and speed thread.... just post all of your other problems here as well....

Moderator - feel free to close this thread.
This has been a very productive thread. You don't own it. Once you start it, it takes on a life of its own. :rolleyes:

Does the app automatically switch between the 2.4 and 5.8 ghz on it's own depending on the environment? Or do you have to select one or the other prior to lift off?

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does the app automatically switch between the 2.4 and 5.8 ghz on it's own depending on the environment? Or do you have to select one or the other prior to lift off?

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app
On iOS, one needs to select one or the other under the Auto setting prior to lift off, but it can and will switch during flight as needed, but, if it does switch out of 2.4GHz, switch it back to 5.8Ghz for best range. Best to select 5.8Ghz. On Android, on the P4P+, as I recall, you can't preselect which band under Auto.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT