Dedicated P4P Range and Distance discussion

I'm assuming on your other birds when they got replace the issue was resolved?....
I had to resort to a boosted DBS-02 mod for my P4 to get the advertised range and more. My Mavic Pro easily reached 4.1 miles over water this week, and 3 miles over urban areas. My P4P's are only reliable to 6000 feet. Anything beyond that is sketchy, and results in loss of control signal and RTH with signal not restores until 1500 feet. Looking forward to getting the kind of range a few of you are getting, with another P4P from a whole new batch. I'll pick one up at Best Buy and compare! :cool:

I had to resort to a boosted DBS-02 mod for my P4 to get the advertised range and more. My Mavic Pro easily reached 4.1 miles over water this week, and 3 miles over urban areas. My P4P's are only reliable to 6000 feet. Anything beyond that is sketchy, and results in loss of control signal and RTH with signal not restores until 1500 feet. Looking forward to getting the kind of range a few of you are getting, with another P4P from a whole new batch. I'll pick one up at Best Buy and compare! :cool:

Strange.... I wonder if there is some weird RF in your area?.... Mavic uses Occusync and P4P is kinda the LightBridge system.... Hummmmm

I, as I stated before, am flying in a major, major urban area with tons of interference. I use full auto settings. In areas that my P4 DBS02 would barely reach, I blow through that with my P4Pro. My Mavic is also left in the dust when it comes to range compared to my P4Pro.

Again, I'm not flying over water. I'm in a congested area and 5.8Ghz makes this craft insane. My friends have the exact same results. The P4Pro is only limited by battery. I easily can get over 4.3 miles in a major urban congested area with my Pro when my DBS02 P4 could only get 7000ft there.

Wow... i wish i can go over 800M... i no longer have confidence with this product.. now it drops sats to atti mode once in a while. Drifts wid the wind wen that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Where are you flying, and at what elevation above ground, at the max distance? What is your video transmission setting for Mbs?
So far I've gone 12,000 feet but stopped as it was super windy. This is in a country rural area. Not farmland rural, but like homes with lots of forest and land with some subdivisions etc. I don't know what video transmission setting I have, it's the default. This was at a height of about 250 feet.

Wow... i wish i can go over 800M... i no longer have confidence with this product.. now it drops sats to atti mode once in a while. Drifts wid the wind wen that happens.

You have something wrong then. If you are losing gps with clear skies above you that's not normal.

You have a defective bird then. So does @GadgetGuy. I know 5 people who all have the P4Pro and we get insane range in high interference areas. The 5.8ghz slices right through the sky and we can go over 4 miles away no problem.
My original P4 had crap range out of the box. The DBS02 helped, but it is no comparison to this craft out of the box. There is absolutely no need to mod the antenna on a P4Pro- its range is incredible. It beats the daylight out of the Mavic (whose "Occusync" is simply a software based code NOT hardware or different frequencies like the P4Pro/Inspire 2).

Ok. Ill record my screen showing the drone disconnecting at around 800m n ill show it to dji and let u guys
Know wht theyll do.

I, as I stated before, am flying in a major, major urban area with tons of interference. I use full auto settings. In areas that my P4 DBS02 would barely reach, I blow through that with my P4Pro. My Mavic is also left in the dust when it comes to range compared to my P4Pro.

Again, I'm not flying over water. I'm in a congested area and 5.8Ghz makes this craft insane. My friends have the exact same results. The P4Pro is only limited by battery. I easily can get over 4.3 miles in a major urban congested area with my Pro when my DBS02 P4 could only get 7000ft there.
You already said that. I'm asking for proof. Please provide a flight log or video to back up your claim.

Sounds like you have a lemon.
Could it be that your unit is the "lemon"/outlier, and they mistakenly forgot to cripple the range on your unit? Where, and from whom, and when, did you buy your P4P, and what tablet are you using? What firmware version is on your aircraft, your RC, and what app version are you using, on what device, and on which version of the operating system? What are your complete DJI GO 4 app settings? Which toggles are turned on and which are turned off? In order to try and replicate your results, we need your complete settings. This is a complex aircraft, and more than just hardware is involved.

Last edited:
(1) everyone that I know who has a P4P gets incredible range. You don't.
(2) bought my P4P from B&H 3 weeks ago.
(3) using the latest firmware and GO 4 App on an iPhone 7+
(4) not sure you mean by "complete" settings. I don't have a max range set and I use autochannel
selection- as mentioned before.

Could it be that your unit is the "lemon"/outlier, and they mistakenly forgot to cripple the range on your unit? Where, and from whom, and when, did you buy your P4P, and what tablet are you using? What firmware version is on your aircraft, your RC, and what app version are you using, on what device, and on which version of the operating system? What are your complete DJI GO 4 app settings? Which toggles are turned on and which are turned off? In order to try and replicate your results, we need your complete settings. This is a complex aircraft, and more than just hardware is involved.

I don't exactly have the desire to give my flight log to a guy who has the FAA logo as his avatar since it would show well beyond line of sight (over 4 miles) as stated.

You already said that. I'm asking for proof. Please provide a flight log or video to back up your claim.

Again, you have a lemon. The 5.8 Ghz should blow through interference. The RC output is much greater than any normal P4. The range of my P4P (and my friends') are easily over 4 miles in a very urban area.
Unless you are in Europe (where the output is decreased) you have a lemon.

(1) everyone that I know who has a P4P gets incredible range. You don't.
(2) bought my P4P from B&H 3 weeks ago.
(3) using the latest firmware and GO 4 App on an iPhone 7+
(4) not sure you mean by "complete" settings. I don't have a max range set and I use autochannel
selection- as mentioned before.
I assume you and every one you know are all in the same area. Where is it that you are getting this phenomenal urban range? How large is your "everyone that I know" sample database? I bought all three of mine from B&H as well. I'm also using an iPadPro so we are using the same iOS app. Are you using the 32 channel hack? What HD transmission speed setting are you using between 4 and 10? Are you turning all the sensors on or off, or which are you turning on and which off? Are you flying in Sport mode? What AGL height are you flying at the farthest distance away? What speed are you flying at?

Last edited:
Reactions: Danoldo
Again, you have a lemon. The 5.8 Ghz should blow through interference. The RC output is much greater than any normal P4. The range of my P4P (and my friends') are easily over 4 miles in a very urban area.
Unless you are in Europe (where the output is decreased) you have a lemon.
What city are we talking about, and at what elevaton above ground are you needing to fly, to get this incredible range?

No. A couple of my friends with P4Pros are in my area but the other 3 are in other cities. All urban areas and they all get similar range to me.

This is a total of 6 people all getting the range I am. I am not using any channel hack. I just put it in auto. I am not setting any transmission speed. Again, I am in auto. I have VPS on but OA turned off usually. Nonetheless, when I have everything on it isn't affecting my range. Sometimes I fly in sport mode and sometimes I don't. The speed I fly at varies. My AGL varies. Sometimes 350ft, sometimes I go higher.

None of those things you ask affect range. Mode, sensors, etc- they are all irrelevant.

You have a lemon- that's what is happening to you. There is nothing magical that me and my friends do.

I assume you and every one you know are all in the same area. Where is it that you are getting this phenomenal urban range? How large is your "everyone that I know" sample database? I bought all three of mine from B&H as well. I'm also using an iPadPro so we are using the same iOS app. Are you using the 32 channel hack? What HD transmission speed setting are you using between 4 and 10? Are you turning all the sensors on or off, or which arevyou turning on and which off? Are you flying in Sport mode? What AGL height are you flying at the farthest distance away? What speed are you flying at?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20