Death spin?

Reaction score
Just crashed P3 started spinning out of control on decent. Thought it was vts, but it was dropping to slow and spinning to quick from other vts videos I've seen. Took 40 seconds to come down 200 ft spinning about close to 40 times. Moved laterally 100 meters on decent. Inputs on flight log appear normal. Any ideas as to what went wrong. Landed in 120ft deep water. No recovery.

Just crashed P3 started spinning out of control on decent. Thought it was vts, but it was dropping to slow and spinning to quick from other vts videos I've seen. Took 40 seconds to come down 200 ft spinning about close to 40 times. Moved laterally 100 meters on decent. Inputs on flight log appear normal. Any ideas as to what went wrong. Landed in 120ft deep water. No recovery.
VRS (which is not seen in the P3 series) is a sort of wobbling but spinning is the way a Phantom comes down when one motor is not working properly.
It could be anything from a prop, motor or the ESC controlling the motor.

Reactions: N017RW
thanks very much for prompt reply, drone had just over 2hrs of flight time total, always took care of it. Besides this never crashed. Is this a popular issue. (no mods to gains or anything, basic controls)

VRS (which is not seen in the P3 series) is a sort of wobbling but spinning is the way a Phantom comes down when one motor is not working properly.
It could be anything from a prop, motor or the ESC controlling the motor.
I have seen VRS in my P3S scared the hell out of me, was wobbling wildly lucky I caught it in time I now come down very slowly or use auto land when I'm in wide open terrain. I do agree it sounds like a motor issue

I have seen VRS in my P3S scared the hell out of me, was wobbling wildly lucky I caught it in time I now come down very slowly
Real VRS was not uncommon with the P1 and early in the P2 series.
DJI reduced descent speed for the P2 to deal with it.
From the P3 series on, VRS was eliminated by angling the motors and the limited descent speed.
There's no need to descend any slower than what your Phantom is programmed for.
You may occasionally see a little wobble but you won't enter VRS.

that's good to know. I was coming down from 300ft full speed as a rain storm was approaching, it looked horrible like it was about to roll over. I gave it full forward and released the left stick to center at the same time it took a second but flew right out of the wobble. I still feel better about coming down slower but in an emergency I know now I can come down fast if need be. Thanx for the info Brother

I had the same issue a couple of days ago.....flew a 7 minute flight pressed the RTH, which it did fine but as soon as the land phase began it spun out of control. Can only guess that one of the props stopped for whatever reason, I think it may have made contact with the prop guards as one had a break in the center support which appeared to line up with the prop....there was no warning... Without knowing for sure what happened I'm uneasy with flying it....

I had the same issue a couple of days ago.....flew a 7 minute flight pressed the RTH, which it did fine but as soon as the land phase began it spun out of control. Can only guess that one of the props stopped for whatever reason, I think it may have made contact with the prop guards as one had a break in the center support which appeared to line up with the prop....there was no warning... Without knowing for sure what happened I'm uneasy with flying it....
Why uneasy? You said it could be a prop guard. Most likely was. If it wasn't for that prop guard would it still be flying?.. Probably yes. We all make mistakes and we all learn from them. Don't be uneasy mate. Its part of the cycle. But you seemed like you knew what caused it.. So that's a good thing

I have seen VRS in my P3S scared the hell out of me, was wobbling wildly lucky I caught it in time I now come down very slowly or use auto land when I'm in wide open terrain. I do agree it sounds like a motor issue

Rather than stopping right above the landing zone and descending vertically, learn to lose altitude as you approach the landing area. Maintaining a bit of forward motion while descending helps a lot keeping the AC stable.

Rather than stopping right above the landing zone and descending vertically, learn to lose altitude as you approach the landing area. Maintaining a bit of forward motion while descending helps a lot keeping the AC stable.
That's exactly how I do it now just to be safe, even if it wont enter VRS. II loose as much altitude as possible on the return if I'm still quite high Ill fly a pattern overhead while loosing altitude the whole time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan