DEATH of a phantom

This was a fun little project. This is only my second video and I tried to incorporate some audio editing as well. Feedback and/or critiques are greatly appreciated.

Dan...beautifully shot and to me just the right different / sequences too.....the water from above was Beautiful....Thanks Dan for sharing it here.

Check out AirMap and then see the area this video was recorded.

AirMap Web App

I'm not sure what your level of knowledge of the rules are but it would be wise to bone up on them. Not being a hater -- just trying to inform...

Brian

This was a fun little project. This is only my second video and I tried to incorporate some audio editing as well. Feedback and/or critiques are greatly appreciated.

1080 does not do any justice watching this on a 30 inch screen, you need to kick this up to 2K min for it to look nice and I think it would really add to the video

1080 does not do any justice watching this on a 30 inch screen, you need to kick this up to 2K min for it to look nice and I think it would really add to the video

It's amazing how much more you can see with a large high resolution screen if the video is high resolution and well focused and exposed. I have a 32" 4K BenQ monitor for my desktop/editing PC but I also have a 4K screen on a high end 15" laptop and while both are great screens the much larger BenQ makes it possible to see things my 61 year old eyes can't on the laptop -- even with glasses.

Brian

I appreciate the heads up. I use UAV Forecast and after weighing all the info, I decided to make the flight.

I'm surprised UAV Forecast didn't flag the area you were flying as a no-fly zone due to the airports and numerous heliports that overlap the area you flew in. I don't use UAV Forecast but do use AirMap so I can't comment on the accuracy of UAV Forecast as far as no-fly zones are concerned. Given the large number of overlapping no-fly zones for that area I'm really puzzled how it did not flag the area as no-fly.

Brian

I'm surprised UAV Forecast didn't flag the area you were flying as a no-fly zone due to the airports and numerous heliports that overlap the area you flew in. I don't use UAV Forecast but do use AirMap so I can't comment on the accuracy of UAV Forecast as far as no-fly zones are concerned. Given the large number of overlapping no-fly zones for that area I'm really puzzled how it did not flag the area as no-fly.

Brian

I live about a mile from here and have flown this area several times. This is not restricted airspace. There’s a few helipads around and a seaport too.

Nice video!

I live about a mile from here and have flown this area several times. This is not restricted airspace. There’s a few helipads around and a seaport too.

Nice video!

Not according to AirMap which lists the following:

1. FAIRWAYS (airport)
2. AEROACRES (airport)
3. FALCON POINT (heliport)
4. WILSON HELISPOT (heliport)
5. NIELSON (airport)
6. CAMP WITHYCOMBE (heliport)
7. PROVIDENCE WILLAMETTE FALLS MEDICAL CENTER (heliport)

So, by my count that's 3 airports and 4 heliports who's no fly zone overlaps at this point. In addition, the Sullivan power plant at the falls is also a no fly zone.

So, tell me exactly how it's OK to fly there?

Brian

Not according to AirMap which lists the following:

1. FAIRWAYS (airport)
2. AEROACRES (airport)
3. FALCON POINT (heliport)
4. WILSON HELISPOT (heliport)
5. NIELSON (airport)
6. CAMP WITHYCOMBE (heliport)
7. PROVIDENCE WILLAMETTE FALLS MEDICAL CENTER (heliport)

So, by my count that's 3 airports and 4 heliports who's no fly zone overlaps at this point. In addition, the Sullivan power plant at the falls is also a no fly zone.

So, tell me exactly how it's OK to fly there?

Brian

Well for starters I’m 107 so I’m exempt from all of that.

But, if you were flying as a hobby, you would just be required to contact those places that you listed to notify them. None of these places you listed have towers. All of this area is class G airspace. I tried to call the hospital before and got nowhere. In the 4-1/2 years Ive lived here, (I live a few blocks away from the hospital) we’ve seen the heliport used one time;).

Last summer I was hired to fly at Fairways!

I’m not aware of any power plant at the falls. There is a paper mill that is in the process of shutting down (it might all ready be). Why can’t you fly over a power plant?

I think your interpretation is a bit off. These are not no fly zones. Your app is just telling you what airports and helipads are around you. It doesn’t mean you can’t fly there. It means if you are within 5 miles, you should contact the tower or ATC, which none of these locations have. The 2-3 airports here in OC are literally grass strips in people’s backyard. Fairways is for sale and probably won’t even be an airstrip in the near future.

Reactions: danchez
Well for starters I’m 107 so I’m exempt from all of that.

But, if you were flying as a hobby, you would just be required to contact those places that you listed to notify them. None of these places you listed have towers. All of this area is class G airspace. I tried to call the hospital before and got nowhere. In the 4-1/2 years Ive lived here, (I live a few blocks away from the hospital) we’ve seen the heliport used one time;).

Last summer I was hired to fly at Fairways!

I’m not aware of any power plant at the falls. There is a paper mill that is in the process of shutting down (it might all ready be). Why can’t you fly over a power plant?

I think your interpretation is a bit off. These are not no fly zones. Your app is just telling you what airports and helipads are around you. It doesn’t mean you can’t fly there. It means if you are within 5 miles, you should contact the tower or ATC, which none of these locations have. The 2-3 airports here in OC are literally grass strips in people’s backyard. Fairways is for sale and probably won’t even be an airstrip in the near future.

Well that does explain it -- though it would have been nice if when this question was first mentioned that you had said that instead of saying it was OK to fly there and leave the impression that anyone can do just that. Yes, hobbyist can also fly if they contact ALL of the airports and heliports and they concur its OK. Most of the people on this board are hobbyists and many are unaware of the rules and it is for this reason that I mentioned it in the first place.

The power plant is listed by the name Sullivan. but it is entirely possible that it is shut down. There are a crap ton of abandoned dirt airstrips that are still listed as airports and it would be nice if the FAA were to purge them from the records.

Brian

Well that does explain it -- though it would have been nice if when this question was first mentioned that you had said that instead of saying it was OK to fly there and leave the impression that anyone can do just that. Yes, hobbyist can also fly if they contact ALL of the airports and heliports and they concur its OK. Most of the people on this board are hobbyists and many are unaware of the rules and it is for this reason that I mentioned it in the first place.

The power plant is listed by the name Sullivan. but it is entirely possible that it is shut down. There are a crap ton of abandoned dirt airstrips that are still listed as airports and it would be nice if the FAA were to purge them from the records.

Brian
I did in my first reply. I said this area is not restricted airspace. You thought it was. And since you were calling someone out for breaking regs, I figured you were aware of the rules. Sorry, I was wrong.

Most here are hobby pilots and most know that they need to contact the tower or ATC if they are with in 5 miles. None of these ports you listed in this area have either.

Most pilots also know that the call is simply a notification call. They do not need to “concur”. Your not asking for permission, your just notifying.

Hopefully your now a bit more educated on where you and your fellow Phantom pilots can fly. ;)

I did in my first reply. I said this area is not restricted airspace. You thought it was. And since you were calling someone out for breaking regs, I figured you were aware of the rules. Sorry, I was wrong.

Most here are hobby pilots and most know that they need to contact the tower or ATC if they are with in 5 miles. None of these ports you listed in this area have either.

Most pilots also know that the call is simply a notification call. They do not need to “concur”. Your not asking for permission, your just notifying.

Hopefully your now a bit more educated on where you and your fellow Phantom pilots can fly. ;)

No, sorry to disagree, but without first contacting ALL the airports and heliports and getting an OK from them a hobbyist can NOT fly within the 5 mile zone of an airport or heliport -- do you care to argue that point? The term "no fly" is not terribly accurate as a hobbyist is permitted to fly within such a zone after contacting all the effected airports and heliports and ATC, but until you do it is a no fly zone, bad wording not withstanding!

Once again, the fact that you as a part 107 does not have to contact does not apply to hobbyists as they do have to contact and until they do and are permitted they are not permitted to fly -- again, do you argue this point?

It is the case that many on this board are unaware of the rules and assume that because they bought it that they are somehow permitted to fly anywhere and anytime and that is not the case. We as a community need to make sure that are fellow members act in such a way that limits the risk to others AND to our right to fly in the first place. I take it upon myself to, gently, remind others when they are in violation. Your smug response gives me reason to question your interest in the community.

Brian

No, sorry to disagree, but without first contacting ALL the airports and heliports and getting an OK from them a hobbyist can NOT fly within the 5 mile zone of an airport or heliport -- do you care to argue that point? The term "no fly" is not terribly accurate as a hobbyist is permitted to fly within such a zone after contacting all the effected airports and heliports and ATC, but until you do it is a no fly zone, bad wording not withstanding!

Once again, the fact that you as a part 107 does not have to contact does not apply to hobbyists as they do have to contact and until they do and are permitted they are not permitted to fly -- again, do you argue this point?

It is the case that many on this board are unaware of the rules and assume that because they bought it that they are somehow permitted to fly anywhere and anytime and that is not the case. We as a community need to make sure that are fellow members act in such a way that limits the risk to others AND to our right to fly in the first place. I take it upon myself to, gently, remind others when they are in violation. Your smug response gives me reason to question your interest in the community.

Brian

Brian look, as much time as you spent investigating the area this was shot in, you could of spent that time on the FAA web site researching the regs. If you had done this FIRST before posting, you would have saved time and greef.

ATC can deny flight if they feel it will endanger the airspace, but your not asking for permission or for an OK. Your simply notifying them. They can not prohibit you from flying as per FAA regs.

Please read through this before you post more false information.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

This is not a “smug” response,... this is me helping you.

Brian look, as much time as you spent investigating the area this was shot in, you could of spent that time on the FAA web site researching the regs. If you had done this FIRST before posting, you would have saved time and greef.

ATC can deny flight if they feel it will endanger the airspace, but your not asking for permission or for an OK. Your simply notifying them. They can not prohibit you from flying as per FAA regs.

Please read through this before you post more false information.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

This is not a “smug” response,... this is me helping you.

Yeah, the "you just notify them" is nice, but what if they say, sorry, we're doing a rescue in that area so you should not fly. Tell me what should a hobbyist do -- fly anyway because, hey, I notified them?

Sadly, too many attempt to 'lawyer' the rules and parse it in a way to justify what they want to do. The 'just notify them' is precisely such a thing. If they tell you they are doing a rescue or otherwise engaged in operations in the area you wish to fly do you not have to accept that maybe flying there at that time isn't a good idea? Let me explicitly ask you then -- if you were a hobbyist and with due diligence called all the airports and heliports and ATC and were told by one of them that they were engaged in some operation in that area would you argue that simply notifying them gives you the right to fly?

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl