Dead/Defective Batteries

Did you try downgrading yet? I run last years fw myself so I can swap batteries between my Pro and Advanced. All of my batteries run the 1.6.4 Pro update and they cross over into the 1.3.2 on my Advanced with no problem. DJI's latest 1.8+ updates will never reach my birds because they lock you into having to use the same fw for each machine... I realize your frustration, but if it works, then problem solved - Your Way, not DJI's.

Thanks for your suggestion - but it's not an option. I use the aftermarket AutoPilot software and it requires the latest firmware.
I'll solve the problem another way. One member has volunteered to send me an old dead battery of his. I'm going to try removing the cap from the official DJI battery and replacing it on the aftermarket one. If that doesn't work, I'm going to look into the battery mods that provide 30+ minutes of flight time.

Gearbest has a dual battery harness for $45. I wish I knew someone who had tried it and could comment on how well it works - if at all...

Reactions: Reed L
Phantom_3_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines__en.pdf says:
Never use non-DJI batteries. Go to www.dji.com to purchase new batteries. DJI takes no responsibility for any damage caused by non-DJI batteries.
So I repeat I believe they had right to restrict using those batteries.
If you can't read or if you ignore the warnings, it's not their fault.

And I also believe that 99 % of Phantom users use original parts including batteries. And so DJI can afford to play their "dirty game" by restricting non-original parts.

You speak like you were born yesterday.
World is cruel and companies want to make profit.
Do you think that Apple likes that their iPhones/iPads are being jailbroken? No.
Do you think that software developers like that their work is being cracked? No.
With DJI it's the same.

But users have (in most cases) always a choice.
You chose that you need new FW and so your non-original batteries don't work.
I chose I don't need new FW nor new app and so I am looking forward to my $90 non-original battery that will be delivered to me tomorrow.

If you are not satisfied with DJI's service or policy, you should redirect your complaints to them.

The reason DJI removed support for aftermarket batteries is purely for money. Maybe it has something to do with the safety of the drone, but more likely DJI wants you to buy their batteries. The consumer will need to pay more for DJI batteries so it is a inconvenience to them, but for DJI, it's more money. Most companies out there are going to do whatever they can to make more money, if it is in the best interest of the consumer or not.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Tenly
So - DJI's new greed driven policy regarding after market batteries has left me the owner of 2 $140 novelty paperweights in the shape of a Phantom 3 Battery.

Both of the batteries are brand new and have the exact specifications of the DJI OEM batteries - but one of the recent Phantom 3 firmware updates has introduced a check to make sure that the batteries you are using were purchased from DJI.

I think they crossed the line though by disabling the aircraft if it is using non-DJI batteries. It's completely reasonable for them to pop up a message advising the user that they are not using "official" batteries and that they do so at their own risk. It's unreasonable for them to refuse to let me accept that risk and fly anyways. All they have to do is add the battery info to the flight logs and they are covered as far as any liability or warranty issues are concerned. They have tried (poorly and unsuccessfully) to claim that this firmware change is about safety when it is so obviously about greed.

The biggest problem I have with the way they have introduced this change is that it was okay one day and not the next. If this restriction were in place from the day I bought my Phantom, I could have lived with it and I never would have bought aftermarket batteries - but it wasn't. And there was nothing documented in the manuals saying that it could only be used with authentic DJI batteries. I purchased the batteries, they worked very well for one or two flights - and then DJI prohibited them. Their whimsical, greedy policy change had instantly rendered $290 of my property completely useless. They introduced this policy without any thought or care as to how it would affect existing customers - and when they were made aware of how it affects their customers - they still didn't care! There were a number of ways they could have done this better which would have shown at least some degree of care for existing customers. They could have a) started the new policy with every new Phantom sold but grandfathered all of the existing Phantoms in so that if you already purchased your Phantom and already purchased batteries, they would continue to work for the next 2 years. They could have mounted an exchange program where they would let you exchange your aftermarket batteries (with receipt) for DJI credit in the same amount to which you could apply to OEM batteries or other accessories.

What they've done is the equivalent of breaking into my house, seeing $290 on the kitchen table and burning it - for no real reason - and not even offering an apology.

I understand that most of you reading this probably swear by OEM batteries and aren't affected by this decision - so ignore the actual circumstances and just look at how they've handled this from a customer service perspective - because the next time they do this - it may very well be about something that you care about. So forget that this was about batteries and look at the basic facts:
- 1. DJI thought up a way to generate more money
- 2. Implementing their idea would destroy the $ of some existing customers
- 3. Someone identified a way to do it without costing existing customers $.
- 4. DJI didn't give a **** about existing customers.

If it wasn't obvious before, it should be now. This company is greedy and corrupt and doesn't give a rats *** about existing customers.

Next month, some executive at DJI might decide that with the purchase of your drone, you are only entitled to fly for up to 40 minutes per day and implement that decision via firmware. At the same time, they will begin selling extended flight packs or subscriptions which will allow you to fly 60+ minutes per day.

As ludicrous as that sounds, I hesitated to type it out - because if someone at DJI reads it - I guaranteed it will be discussed in next months sales meeting as a very real possibility....

I know that nothing I do or say is going to change any of their policies - and I own too much in the way of accessories to easily switch to Yuneec or someone else - but I think more and more about it every day - and I certainly steer my friends away from DJI with my stories about how they treat their customers.

It's a shame that customer service wasn't more of a priority for them. I would love to call some media attention to these practices - perhaps that would be possible via their affiliation with Apple. Yeah - I thin an email to Apple about DJI's customer relation policies might be the exact right place to start....!!!

Happy flying everyone!
Ok, let me get this straight, you paid $140.00 for non dji batteries when you could have bought dji batteries for $149.00. So all this hooplah was caused by you saving $18.00. Definitely sounds like dji and their greed is the culprit here.

Reactions: AeroVisionz
DJI recommending the use of their batteries is one thing. Forcing you to use theirs is another. That is my opinion on the matter.

Kind of like new vehicles. They recommend you use OEM parts, but how would you feel if your car would not start if you chose to utilize a different battery?

For me it's not about the dollar. It's more about the principle.

DJI recommending the use of their batteries is one thing. Forcing you to use theirs is another. That is my opinion on the matter.

Kind of like new vehicles. They recommend you use OEM parts, but how would you feel if your car would not start if you chose to utilize a different battery?

For me it's not about the dollar. It's more about the principle.
I don't disagree with you. All I am saying is that you are saying greed is why dji did what they did when you bought non dji batteries for no other reason than to save a couple of bucks. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

I don't disagree with you. All I am saying is that you are saying greed is why dji did what they did when you bought non dji batteries for no other reason than to save a couple of bucks. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

I think you confused me with the OP.

I think you confused me with the OP.
Sorry. You are correct. I will say this though, if you use a non OEM battery in your car it won't cause a catastrophic failure. The battery in our phantoms are very complicated and are an important component to the safety of operating our birds.

Reactions: AeroVisionz
Sorry. You are correct. I will say this though, if you use a non OEM battery in your car it won't cause a catastrophic failure. The battery in our phantoms are very complicated and are an important component to the safety of operating our birds.
I am curious. Is there any evidence what so ever that 3rd part batteries have caused 'catastrophic failures' ?

I am curious. Is there any evidence what so ever that 3rd part batteries have caused 'catastrophic failures' ?
Yes. You will find it on this forum, it was fairly recent. His bird went into the drink. When he looked at his flight log it showed one cell failed and the pilot said that he accepted responsibility since he was using a 3rd party battery.

Last edited:

I understand your point, however those risks, in my opinion should be at the sole discretion of the owner of the craft.

Unrealistic example:
If someone released a battery that doubles the flight time, I should be able to use it.. even if I choose to void warranty by doing so. I would think almost everyone would jump at that upgrade.

Personally I won't be the guinea pig and will stick to OEM batteries. For now.

There was another recent case in which a woman was at a zoo flying her Phantom using a non-oem battery. The bird ended up crashing into the gorilla cage and she coaxed her young child to go and retrieve it. I think you know the rest of the story.

Reactions: K9DAVE
I understand your point, however those risks, in my opinion should be at the sole discretion of the owner of the craft.

Unrealistic example:
If someone released a battery that doubles the flight time, I should be able to use it.. even if I choose to void warranty by doing so. I would think almost everyone would jump at that upgrade.

Personally I won't be the guinea pig and will stick to OEM batteries. For now.
Totally agree Tijuana, my point on this is the OP says dji did it out of greed, which is probably correct, but why else would someone buy non dji batteries to save $9.00. IF it was for higher capacity then I could understand, but to rant over dji doing basically what he did is what I don't get. There are a lot of products that we purchase every day that you can only get OEM parts for so I don't see what the big deal is.

There was another recent case in which a woman was at a zoo flying her Phantom using a non-oem battery. The bird ended up crashing into the gorilla cage and she coaxed her young child to go and retrieve it. I think you know the rest of the story.
That is bad. Lol.

Totally agree Tijuana, my point on this is the OP says dji did it out of greed, which is probably correct, but why else would someone buy non dji batteries to save $9.00. IF it was for higher capacity then I could understand, but to rant over dji doing basically what he did is what I don't get. There are a lot of products that we purchase every day that you can only get OEM parts for so I don't see what the big deal is.
I must have missed where he said it was a $9 difference. I thought he said that he could get 3 aftermarket batteries for the cost of 2 DJI batteries? That would increase his flight time by a third for the same cost. I wouldn't think anyone would fuss over a $9 difference, although some might.

I must have missed where he said it was a $9 difference. I thought he said that he could get 3 aftermarket batteries for the cost of 2 DJI batteries? That would increase his flight time by a third for the same cost. I wouldn't think anyone would fuss over a $9 difference, although some might.
He said in his 1st post he had 2 $140.00 paper weights. Last dji battery I bought was $149.00.

He said in his 1st post he had 2 140.00 paper weights. Last dji battery I bought was $149.00.
He is in Canada I believe. Cost difference there from what he had said.

I have seen walmart selling DJI batteries for $120 so maybe some searching is in order for the OP. Also I believe there was someone in the classified section selling new DJI batteries for $110.

DJI did not do this for safety reasons. They did it to eliminate competition from aftermarket vendors.

If they were that concerned about safety, they would stop selling their own explode-on-contact-with-anything carbon fiber props.

Reactions: Tenly
Ok, let me get this straight, you paid $140.00 for non dji batteries when you could have bought dji batteries for $149.00. So all this hooplah was caused by you saving $18.00. Definitely sounds like dji and their greed is the culprit here.

No. You're mixing currencies.

I paid $135 Canadian (+5 shipping). At the time, the cheapest alternative I had here in Canada was $200 - so I saved $65/battery (plus 13% tax on the $65 which is another $8.50) - so, that's $73.50 per battery - essentially enough to get 3 aftermarket batteries for the price of 2 DJI - or enough to get 7 bottles of decent red wine...

But, going beyond that - I also believe that the quality of the specific aftermarket batteries I purchased are as good as or BETTER that the OEM ones.

Yes. You will find it on this forum, it was fairly recent. His bird went into the drink. When he looked at his flight log it showed one cell failed and the pilot said that he accepted responsibility since he was using a 3rd party battery.

Exactly as it should be! Hopefully the battery manufacturer stepped up and made things right with him - but if not - that's the risk we choose to take when we fly with non-DJI parts...

Have their been any reports of DJI batteries failing or causing a crash or do they have a 100% reliability record?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.