Dead/Defective Batteries

It should have been their policy from the start - from the day they started selling them - but it wasn't. They allowed people to spend their $ on after market batteries - and the batteries worked! Since it was their poor planning that enabled the situation - they should have done something to compensate their customers - who did nothing wrong - even if it was just to offer a big discount on OEM batteries to replace the perfectly functional batteries they rendered useless (upon sending in your aftermarket battery and receipt) - or, they should have allowed those batteries to continue to be used at the risk of the pilot - for 2 years - the average expected lifetime of the batteries.

What's next? RFID chips in the props so that DJI can ensure you only use their props?

If you don't see how this was a bad way for them to treat customers that did nothing wrong - I can't explain it any more clearly. You'll understand better when their next decision affects your wallet.

Hush, don't give them any more ideas.

And they don't care how it impacts you. They have the dominant market share and are selling them as fast as they can produce them. If they had to work hard to sell their product, they would care. They don't, so they won't.

There are some that will agree with you but most will not. It was your sole decision to buy non-oem batteries even though there are plenty of threads on this topic, you certainly must have read many, with the majority of the posts warning those not to buy them. The fact that they worked and now don't could be for many reasons. The first that comes to your mind is simply a greed issue, the first that comes to mine is they could interfere with the safe operation of ones Phantom. Chalk it up as a loss and a bad decision/choice on your part, it wasn't like you went into this without warning from many members of this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
I definitely do have a right to complain! I bought my Phantom last September and there was no such restriction! I bought my aftermarket batteries in February when there was no such restriction.

The firmware restrictions were released in April without warning and rendered my previous investments useless. I broke no rules when I purchased them.

Your comments are only valid when applied to people purchasing their Phantoms AFTER the 2.6.1 firmware was released. For the rest of us - it was a costly slap in the face for which DJI has no remorse and has offered no remedy.

It would be like your phone manufacturer announcing today that from now on, the phone would only operate when inside one of their bumper cases. It doesn't matter if you already bought an expensive Otterbox. Your Otterbox is now useless and the only thing you can do is to go buy a new bumper case.

Get it now?
No.
If you say you have had Phantom since September, you should have known by now how DJI releases their application and the firmware.
That there is always something new inside, but it's not in the description. For example how they restricted Phantoms to fly higher than 500 m.
Then, if you found out you can't use those batteries with FW 1.7, you were still able to downgrade the firmware back to 1.6.
According to your complaints I believe you are now at FW 1.8. But it was your choice to upgrade. Nobody forced you to do it.
And finally, if you were on their place, you would do the same thing.
You would want to make the profit and also you wouldn't want to be responsible for potential damage that could be done using non-original parts.

I also don't like what they do and how they do it, but I accepted it (by staying on FW 1.6 and app 2.6.0).
You should accept their policy too - to be happier :)

No.
If you say you have had Phantom since September, you should have known by now how DJI releases their application and the firmware.
That there is always something new inside, but it's not in the description. For example how they restricted Phantoms to fly higher than 500 m.
Then, if you found out you can't use those batteries with FW 1.7, you were still able to downgrade the firmware back to 1.6.
According to your complaints I believe you are now at FW 1.8. But it was your choice to upgrade. Nobody forced you to do it.
And finally, if you were on their place, you would do the same thing.
You would want to make the profit and also you wouldn't want to be responsible for potential damage that could be done using non-original parts.

I also don't like what they do and how they do it, but I accepted it (by staying on FW 1.6 and app 2.6.0).
You should accept their policy too - to be happier :)

I'm going to start by addressing the biggest mistake you made in your post - that if I was in their place, I would do the same thing.... Never in a million years would I treat my customers the way that DJI treats theirs. Insisting that ONLY my batteries are used in my product? Maybe my board of directors could talk me into going that route - but I would absolutely have implemented it better. From the date I made the decision, all new hardware sold would be subject to the restriction. Existing hardware would have a 2 year grace period....during which any existing aftermarket batteries would be at or near the end of their useful life anyhow....BUT...even that situation would be unlikely to ever come up because I certainly am smart enough to have thought ahead and made this a policy right from the initial release of my product - and even if I did not have the technology to detect and disable - the manual would have spelled out the restriction and warned that at some point in the future, this may be enforced so do NOT purchase aftermarket batteries!

But DJI did none of that. There were no cautions or restrictions in the documentation. There was no reason for a smart consumer not to go out and purchase a good quality aftermarket battery and save a few dollars. Because DJI was not smart enough to put verbiage in their documentation telling consumers not to buy them - they should have been sensitive to the fact that some of their customers may have invested significant money in batteries that DJI was about to render worthless. A company that cared about their public image and customer satisfaction would have put together a plan to minimize the impact to these customers - such as a battery trade-in program where affected customers could send in their aftermarket battery and $50 and receive a brand new DJI battery. It would have probably been a break-even proposition for DJI and it would have kept their customers happy and perhaps even generate some positive publicity. This is where I think the company was particularly "greedy" and shortsighted.

Finding and using a workaround such as not upgrading to the latest firmware is not a solution. Many people are already aware that DJI does not give a **** about their customers - but some don't. The policy itself - that only DJI batteries are acceptable - is questionable, but apparently they are within their rights as a manufacturer to insist on it. But it was still a punitive way to implement the policy. They knew that this policy would affect existing customers - and they didn't care. This time, the issue is batteries - next time it will be something else.

My message was intended to vent - source 1 or 2 DJI shells so that I can make use of my aftermarket cells - and bring wider awareness to the mindset of DJI when it comes to its customers. Had I known this about the company before I bought my first drone - I most likely would have gone with another manufacturer. If I were not so heavily invested into the DJI ecosystem, I'd seriously consider switching.

This was a really crappy way for a company to treat its customers. It could have been handled much much better.

Sure - there are workarounds to help circumvent the policy...but that doesn't change the fact that the way DJI implemented this policy change treated some existing customers unfairly.

1. As you pointed out, one could stay at the older firmware level - but then they run the risk of operating with bugs that have been identified and corrected in later firmwares as well as potentially missing out on new features.

2. One could replace the 'head unit' of the aftermarket battery with one from a damaged or dead DJI battery. This piece contains the electronics which identify the battery as being an official DJI product.

3. One could use the aftermarket cells in one of the Horizon battery mods or any other extended flight battery mod that requires splitting open a battery in order to extract its cells individually.

We've heard plenty of responses on this chain from the "average consumer" type - the ones that don't understand the technology and would never dream of using anything other than OEM parts. The "average consumer" that doesn't understand that some aftermarket parts are better and more reliable than the OEM parts they are meant to replace. Others are just as good as OEM parts. There is usually the 'junk' as well which often doesn't last long enough to use even once. The "average consumer" doesn't know and doesn't care. They pay a few extra $ and make sure that they don't invalidate their precious warranties! They're often first in line to purchase the "extended warranty" if available too - one of the biggest scams in the electronics market! This is the same type of person that thinks a "best before" date on a food product is an "expiry" date and wouldn't dream of eating anything if the printed date on the package was yesterday! These people usually think they are smarter than the crowd - while "the crowd" and the "savvy consumer" know the opposite is true!

Honestly, I'm surprised there are so many 'average consumers' here. I would have expected a higher concentration of 'savvy consumers' in this hobby - and those that understand technology, manufacturing and risk. Maybe there are - but they are all off happily modding their after-market batteries and antennas to set new range and endurance records that will eventually benefit all of us.

image.jpeg

You might try flying without an app. See if that works.

If it works, you might try flying with Litchi. I've read people have had success doing this.

Thanks for the suggestion - I had heard the same thing - so shortly after the restriction came out, I tried flying with DJI Go, with AutoPilot and with no app at all - just using the remote. I don't have Litchi - but the other 3 methods all failed - I don't expect that Litchi would be any different. This essentially proves that the firmware to disable flight is in the aircraft. It may also be in the DJI Go app - but if it were *only* in the app - then flying without an app would have worked. It didn't.

For the record, I totally agree that disabling aftermarket batteries after the fact is some underhanded ****.

Thanks for your comments. It's nice to know that at least one other person around here "gets it" and understands why the way they DJI implemented this policy was wrong. It amazes me how thick and how brainwashed some of the others can be!

Reactions: mikesmiley
Have you tried contacting the company that makes the batteries? I read somewhere that one such company had a patch or firmware that guaranteed their batteries to work with the new and future updates. I wish I could find the website again. The leds on the batteries looked like arrows,like the Inspire.

i tried charging my battery in my car-wouldnt work
would light up and charge for a few seconds then stop
i thought it was the batteries being broken and panicked, but realized that they probably made this so that it will not let you charge your batteries in your car without the $60 car charger

Have you tried contacting the company that makes the batteries? I read somewhere that one such company had a patch or firmware that guaranteed their batteries to work with the new and future updates. I wish I could find the website again. The leds on the batteries looked like arrows,like the Inspire.

I remember seeing those too, and wish I could find the link.

This certainly seems to have gotten to you. I pity your poor keyboard. And while I agree it's a **** move on DJI's part, it is just one of many. DJI doesn't tell it's customers much of anything. New firmware restrictions, new restrictions on downgrading firmware, customer support denying problems until the 1000th exact same complaint. And many more.

They have apparently improved somewhat on the actual give-it-to-DJI-and-repair-it part, but they have a long way to go before they can be considered a quality vendor. Go over to the Inspire forum - these folks have dropped some serious coin on DJI products and received horrid service. I'm guessing there are enough Phantoms to make them at least act like they care.

You're kinda stuck, however. DJI isn't going to change for you (or me or everyone here). Maybe in little baby steps but they have a very different culture. But, at present they make the only decent $1000 quadcopter around. Maybe that will change, but we've seen a lot of vaporware wander off around here.

i tried charging my battery in my car-wouldnt work
would light up and charge for a few seconds then stop
i thought it was the batteries being broken and panicked, but realized that they probably made this so that it will not let you charge your batteries in your car without the $60 car charger
I doubt it, The batteries only need 17V to charge. You could use a laptop charger if you knew how to wire it right, really simple. All of the battery balancing is done inside the smart battery. It was probably an issue with your car not being able to provide enough current?

I remember seeing those too, and wish I could find the link.

Yes. They acted surprised and asked me to send a screenshot of the error message.

But I did see an ad last week on Amazon.ca for a company advertising "works with latest firmware" - but since I didn't know when they wrote that statement, I sent them a question saying that "Apparently DJI has introduced firmware that refuses to fly with any non-DJI batteries. Are you 100% certain that your batteries will work with the latest firmware as of May 24th, 2016?"

...and I did not get a reply.

In any case - I'm not sure I'd trust them anyway. There is different quality of product out there and I'd have to do some research before being willing to try a different after market battery. I looked into a couple of different brands before purchasing the ones I have currently. I'm quite happy with what I purchased and think they might even be higher quality than the DJI OEM batteries. If something else comes available I'd have to look into it - maybe even order one and take it apart to look at the cells and the build quality before being willing to fly with it.

I bought a couple new ones last week from Amazon.ca for $189.50 each Canadian ($145 US) which is the cheapest I've ever seen the DJI ones in Canada. The aftermarket ones that I had previously purchased were $103 US. (At the time, I could basically get 3 of the aftermarkets for the price of 2 DJI's.)

If I remember right, they had a higher advertised mAh rating than the DJI batteries, but then, those sort of claims are to be expected from untouchable Chinese companies. Like DJI..

It also might explain why DJI chose to immediately make them unusable.

This certainly seems to have gotten to you. I pity your poor keyboard. And while I agree it's a **** move on DJI's part, it is just one of many. DJI doesn't tell it's customers much of anything. New firmware restrictions, new restrictions on downgrading firmware, customer support denying problems until the 1000th exact same complaint. And many more.

They have apparently improved somewhat on the actual give-it-to-DJI-and-repair-it part, but they have a long way to go before they can be considered a quality vendor. Go over to the Inspire forum - these folks have dropped some serious coin on DJI products and received horrid service. I'm guessing there are enough Phantoms to make them at least act like they care.

You're kinda stuck, however. DJI isn't going to change for you (or me or everyone here). Maybe in little baby steps but they have a very different culture. But, at present they make the only decent $1000 quadcopter around. Maybe that will change, but we've seen a lot of vaporware wander off around here.

LOL - it's therapeutic...! I'm not about to order any rally's, boycotts or marches upon DJI headquarters...but I feel better after venting. If my stories about DJI customer care (or lack thereof) sway even one person away from DJI and towards one of their competitors, thats a big bonus.

I was pretty amazed to find out how many people don't understand what happened and don't think that DJI did anything wrong whatsoever! I thought people here were smarter - but obviously not! Apparently a company can screw over its customers and treat them as unfairly as they want - and if they can convince some of their low-end, naive and/or unsophisticated customers that the hand reaching into their wallet is part of a "business model" - well, hell - they'll actually leap to the company's defence! LMFAO!

If I remember right, they had a higher advertised mAh rating than the DJI batteries, but then, those sort of claims are to be expected from untouchable Chinese companies. Like DJI..

It also might explain why DJI chose to immediately make them unusable.

The ones I have are labelled with the identical specifications as the DJI batteries. And the plastic frame is not "similar", it's identical!

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1464753784.572252.jpg

Did you try downgrading yet? I run last years fw myself so I can swap batteries between my Pro and Advanced. All of my batteries run the 1.6.4 Pro update and they cross over into the 1.3.2 on my Advanced with no problem. DJI's latest 1.8+ updates will never reach my birds because they lock you into having to use the same fw for each machine... I realize your frustration, but if it works, then problem solved - Your Way, not DJI's.

Reactions: Tenly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4