DBS mod range issue

Reaction score
First time poster and looking for some inputs on poor range issue on my P3P with DBS 02 mod on a GL300C RC. I purchased the modded RC via ebay. Linking the RC to AC was fast and easy. I am not looking for 15k to 20k feet range. All I wanted is some meaningful increase when flying from my backyard. I have flew many times from my backyard and so I know very well the range of my stock RC. I also have el cheapo windsurfer that is quite effective in increasing range. With the range baselines (un-modded RC and windsurfer) established, I am ready to test the modded RC.

I live in a suburban area wilth lots of wifi and I generally fly in 2 directions:
1. south bound - flying over some tall trees and do not have good LOS
2. west bound- LOS all the time but flying over high powered lines.
All flights were about 350 ft in altitude.

Here are the results:
1. south bound
a) Stock RC ~2000 ft, then RTH initiated
b) Windsurfer ~2400 ft, then RTH initiated
c) DBS 02 mod ~1800 ft, then RTH initiated

2. west bound
a) Stock RC ~4600 ft, then RTH initiated
b) Windsurfer ~7300 ft, then RTH initiated
c) DBS 02 mod ~4500 ft, then RTH initiated

As you can see, the range actually decreased with DBS mod. And the $12 windsurfer is actually very good.

I have since messaged the seller and asked him what kind of range improvements he saw. He responded that he never knew because he modded the RC when brand new. He also never flew far. I wonder why he modded in the first place. He told me he bought it from a distributor in Canada and they did the mod for him.

I opened up the RC and checked the cables. Looked good. I disconnected and reconnected them just to make sure. There are no kinks and pinches that I can see. All ribbons are attached. So, it seem like the install is clean.

I searched this forum and found this thread:
Installed Itelite/MAXXUav antenna - Disappointed at first but great success!
Looks like I have similar issue like him. His issue was attributed to the cables from his RC to the antenna panel that had sharp bends. He replaced with shorted and stouter cables from MaxxUAV and his range improved tremendously. Hard to believe the cables were the culprit because a lot people with long and bent cables have no issues.

Below is a picture of my cables from RC to panel. Do you think they are causing the range issue? Could the panel be bad? Or something else? Any inputs are very welcomed.

Regardless, I have placed an order with MaxxUAV for the shorter cables. Hopefully, they will resolve the problem.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20170509_072720.jpg
    20170509_072720.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 508
Check the sma connections on the transmitter. Sometimes the sma connector doesn't screw down far enough onto the post to make a solid connection.

And look inside those connections. Got to be a pin in one and a hole in the other. Straight connection did not come off tx on mine.

First time poster and looking for some inputs on poor range issue on my P3P with DBS 02 mod on a GL300C RC. I purchased the modded RC via ebay. Linking the RC to AC was fast and easy. I am not looking for 15k to 20k feet range. All I wanted is some meaningful increase when flying from my backyard. I have flew many times from my backyard and so I know very well the range of my stock RC. I also have el cheapo windsurfer that is quite effective in increasing range. With the range baselines (un-modded RC and windsurfer) established, I am ready to test the modded RC.

I live in a suburban area wilth lots of wifi and I generally fly in 2 directions:
1. south bound - flying over some tall trees and do not have good LOS
2. west bound- LOS all the time but flying over high powered lines.
All flights were about 350 ft in altitude.

Here are the results:
1. south bound
a) Stock RC ~2000 ft, then RTH initiated
b) Windsurfer ~2400 ft, then RTH initiated
c) DBS 02 mod ~1800 ft, then RTH initiated

2. west bound
a) Stock RC ~4600 ft, then RTH initiated
b) Windsurfer ~7300 ft, then RTH initiated
c) DBS 02 mod ~4500 ft, then RTH initiated

As you can see, the range actually decreased with DBS mod. And the $12 windsurfer is actually very good.

I have since messaged the seller and asked him what kind of range improvements he saw. He responded that he never knew because he modded the RC when brand new. He also never flew far. I wonder why he modded in the first place. He told me he bought it from a distributor in Canada and they did the mod for him.

I opened up the RC and checked the cables. Looked good. I disconnected and reconnected them just to make sure. There are no kinks and pinches that I can see. All ribbons are attached. So, it seem like the install is clean.

I searched this forum and found this thread:
Installed Itelite/MAXXUav antenna - Disappointed at first but great success!
Looks like I have similar issue like him. His issue was attributed to the cables from his RC to the antenna panel that had sharp bends. He replaced with shorted and stouter cables from MaxxUAV and his range improved tremendously. Hard to believe the cables were the culprit because a lot people with long and bent cables have no issues.

Below is a picture of my cables from RC to panel. Do you think they are causing the range issue? Could the panel be bad? Or something else? Any inputs are very welcomed.

Regardless, I have placed an order with MaxxUAV for the shorter cables. Hopefully, they will resolve the problem.

Thanks for reading.

You ever get this sorted? Just curious

You ever get this sorted? Just curious

Disappointed to report back that the shorter cables made no difference. I am still getting range that is shorter than stock. Picture attached below showing the new cables.

At this point, I am pondering what to do. I can transfer the DBS mod to my stock RC or I can buy another DBS antenna. Any inputs greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to tell if my DBS antenna is defective?

Attachments

• 20170512_073121.jpg
    20170512_073121.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 300
Yes, I am very well aware of the directional nature of the DBS. I have a windsurfer prior to the DBS so I am familiar with the need to always aim toward the AC.
Good. Just making sure we weren't overlooking the obvious. I see people sometimes having problems with range and connection with their DBS mod and it turns out their Phantom's directly in front of them and they're pointing their controller at the moon or at the ground and wondering why they're having problems. I figured since you already used a windsurfer that you knew that but thought I'd throw it in there just in case. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl