Data Rates? No More Pixelation??

Reaction score
Just hoping that the camera data rates of the recording aspect of the P3 will be better than the P2V+

I'm really hoping to never see picture distortion from fast moving shots with lots of detail that I used to see a lot with my P2V+.

I guess I'm hoping for more like GoPro quality even with the P3 Advanced....??

Thoughts?

I know it's speculation but surely the data rates will be better with the new camera to avoid pixelation and picture distortion over fast moving landscape with lots of fine detail?

I agree, Fourblade, they should have provided the specs for this. Just as important as the image resolution if not more so.

Can you confirm GoPro data rates at various settings? Closest thing I can find is record times, which better than nothing.

I don't have a GoPro but have always noticed the pixelation on my P2V+ so I can only hope that they have improved the situation with the P3 in this pretty important area?

I just read this in the specs:-

Max Bitrate of Video Storage
60 Mbps

I looked on the GoPro Hero 4 Specs and that too is 60Mbps - so it looks promising...

I just read this in the specs:-

Max Bitrate of Video Storage
60 Mbps

I looked on the GoPro Hero 4 Specs and that too is 60Mbps - so it looks promising...
What I want is mbps data for all of these cameras. Requiring a card with a max bit rate of 60 really tells me nothing as I highly doubt the mbps is even close to this number. Simply overhead.

What I want is mbps data for all of these cameras. Requiring a card with a max bit rate of 60 really tells me nothing as I highly doubt the mbps is even close to this number. Simply overhead.
So you're saying that without those figures there's no way of knowing for sure if the data rate of actual video to SD card is going to be fast enough to eliminate some pixelation?
I don't know where to start looking - if anywhere regarding the P3?

If you mean what is clearly visible here in fast movements, it's still there

First Flight on the P3 Pro:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you mean what is clearly visible here in fast movements, it's still there

Yes that's what I mean and I'm saddened to see it's still in evidence because I suspect a GoPro Hero 4 would not do that - and what's with those props in shot!!! I never had that with my P2V+??? Surely there's something going on there - that's just wrong!

Last edited:
So you're saying that without those figures there's no way of knowing for sure if the data rate of actual video to SD card is going to be fast enough to eliminate some pixelation?
I don't know where to start looking - if anywhere regarding the P3?
It's really got nothing to do with how fast the SD card can accept the data, but how much data the camera can output. This becomes particularly evident when too few bits are assigned to reproducing too many pixels. At a given data rate, say 22mbps, 1080p will look superior to 4K, simply because more bits are dedicated to fewer pixels, resulting in less pixelation.

Of course if the SD card is not up to writing the data as fast as the camera produces it, that's another issue altogether.

Then, Phantom 3 save video 1080p 30fps, at 22mbps??? Can somebody confirm that??

The previous Phantom 2 vision save video 1080p 30fps at 11 mbps.

Then, Phantom 3 save video 1080p 30fps, at 22mbps??? Can somebody confirm that??

The previous Phantom 2 vision save video 1080p 30fps at 11 mbps.
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that 22mbps was the data rate, only used it as an example. Suppose it would be easy enough to roughly figure it out by recording a minute of footage and dividing the file size by 60. Been meaning to test my GoPro 3+ in different modes but have not gotten around to it.

I will offer that 11mbps is really lame.

You only need 5 seconds of video file without touch with any editor, and right click with the mouse over the file, and see properties.

I saw that Inspire 1 have 25mbps at 1080p / 30fps, I think that Phantom 3 have too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers