D-NAS

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did some searching and couldn't find a good answer. Is using D-NAS enough for hobby flying? The airport near me accepts D-NAS, if I set up a flight on AirMap and submit should I still call? I didn't get any feedback from the app letting me know if it was approved or denied. Just want to make sure my flight would be legal. Thanks.

Therein lies the rub. Since it isn't an FAA QICP (Qualified Internet Communications Provider), like 1800wxbrief.com & DUATS.com (plus others) you will never know that the info you give has gotten transferred to the correct places and as you note, no feedback to learn if there were any objections for your flying.

I don't mean to slam them, but reading on the site:

"Submit Digital Notice
Give nearby airports a head’s up when you are flying within 5 miles. Just choose “Submit Digital Notice” and take flight."

A "Head's Up" ? Uh no. Can I give the cop with a radar gun a heads up that I will wiz by him at 120mph and then not expect a ticket. (hey there wan't any traffic - I could see for miles) I think not.

Just "Submit ... and take flight" ? Again no way.

While I applaud what they are trying to make it easy and simple I think they still have a lot of work to do in that area.

BTW, using Win10, only Edge (not Chrome or Firefox) display the map for web based usage. Anyone else?

It seemed a little to good to be true. When using 1800wxbrief.com and the others you still nee to call ATC correct? The ATC near me doesn't like to answer there phones so I'm exploring other methods for recreational flying. Thanks for the response.

I may have misspoken. I had been told in the past that a QICP was for weather and flight plans & other. Digging deeper I'm only seeing it for providing weather information and briefings, nothing specific to filing flight plans.

For companies that have an app (foreflight, skyvector, ...) and you fill in information, which is then transmitted, they all say you get a confirmation and then you can view the info on a FAA authorized website / phone call, to amend or cancel. I don't see indications of that for D-NAS but it isn't available where I am located so I have not tried it.

Never the less, I'm still sticking to my other comments. Would like to be proved wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic