D-log 500 ISO

Just talked to DJI support. They told me that EV not working in aperture/shutter priority or auto in DLOG is normal.......

Did you not read the link I posted? EV is locked at 2.3

4. Native ISO

Usually, when applying the analog gain 1x and LOG gamma, we say the equivlent ISO is called native ISO.

After applying the DLOG which has been well tuned to match 12.8 fstops, the 18% gray is 2.3 fstops above the normal gamma. Do you remember the exposure is mostly responsible for the 18% gray? Therefore, the exposure should be reduced 2.3ev in order to match the aperture/shutter of other cameras. In our case,

native ISO = Baseline ISO + 2.3ev = ISO500.

That means use the same aperture/shutter/iso, we will make the brightness of 18% gray be aligned with any cameras, no matter for photo or for cinema.

4. Native ISO

Usually, when applying the analog gain 1x and LOG gamma, we say the equivlent ISO is called native ISO.

After applying the DLOG which has been well tuned to match 12.8 fstops, the 18% gray is 2.3 fstops above the normal gamma. Do you remember the exposure is mostly responsible for the 18% gray? Therefore, the exposure should be reduced 2.3ev in order to match the aperture/shutter of other cameras. In our case,

That means use the same aperture/shutter/iso, we will make the brightness of 18% gray be aligned with any cameras, no matter for photo or for cinema.
Thanks for the awesome wording on this post Kman! I shot all day today in D-log and will be checking it out asap. Man it looks so dull out of camera it's hard to some tree tops while flying that have no leaves. LOL

Hi just for the benefit of a newbie like me is the noise hit at ISO500 and the issue of potentially faster shutterspeeds mean I would be better of using another color profile than dlog?

I guess it depends on the situation...

I'll mainly be shooting low light (ie early morning or evening) remote natural landscapes looking for a cinematic look. My p4p arrived a couple of weeks ago but had to be sent back is it wouldn't focus - replacement hopefully arriving today ready for w/e.

I want to wait and see the results from using DLOG before I switch from DCinelike.

I would also like DJI to make changes to the system that allows me to have separate settings for video and photo

Has anybody done a test to see if there is in fact more dynamic range in the new Dlog?

Flying tomorrow, should be able to post something then. Finally got the ND8 filter this week, weather hasn't been good.

Weather in my area is finally looking consistent for a couple weeks so I will definitely be trying out the new dlog asap

Hi All,
I understand why they locked dLog at ISO 500. But there are other practical considerations as well. I live in Arizona and the desert floor can get very bright. How much are we going to have to stop down to shoot dLog at ISO 500? As of now, DJI's highest ND filter is 16. PolarPro makes an ND32. If we are going to have to stop down to f/11 there are diffraction considerations that may out weigh the improvements in dynamic range. There are many compromises that we make as videographers. Dynamic range is one of those compromises.

One of the reasons I purchased the Phantom 4 Pro was to have the shooting options. And now. DJI has taken the away the options and did not provide the tools.

DLog locked at ISO 500 is shortsighted.

Donald Barar

Got the opportunity to shoot today the new dLog locked at ISO 500. My impression is that it works as well or better than the previous dLog option. And, as another poster pointed out, if the new dLog does not work for you then there is always the option of dCinelike.

I retract my previous comments.

Donald Barar

Just tested it today, and the biggest problem for me is that we can't use EV to underexpose a little in Auto mode. The exposure is completly automatic and if the app decides that your highlights are a little blown you're stuck with that. The only solution is to go full manual but you lost the ability to auto change exposure when the scene lightning changes.

So for me, it's worse than before even the DR is better than in other profiles.

Just out of curiosity. If were to install the HDMI board on my P4P and went out HDMI into my Atomos Ninja Flame recorder, then I could use that to monitor the d-log instead of guessing twp stops over? I don't think Atomos has the DJI log curve, but something to think about in the future

4. Native ISO

I usually steer clear of RC groups ;). This is rather lame as its definitely underexposing. Scopes dont lie. I guess ill be shooting full manual. Not ideal but definitely doable. Now the issue of camera mode and D-log needs to be addressed.

Got the opportunity to shoot today the new dLog locked at ISO 500. My impression is that it works as well or better than the previous dLog option. And, as another poster pointed out, if the new dLog does not work for you then there is always the option of dCinelike.

I retract my previous comments.

Donald Barar
And what is the noise like at ISO500? Is there more noise than at ISO100 (dcinelike or whichever other mode that supports it)?

And what is the noise like at ISO500? Is there more noise than at ISO100 (dcinelike or whichever other mode that supports it)?
There might have been little more noise in the shadows. Hard to tell because I do not have a direct comparison. In general, I thought the results were as good as the previous to maybe slightly better. Give it try and see for yourself.

Donald Barar

DJI_0379.jpg
DJI_0479.jpg
Here is two photos one at 100 ISO with d-cinelike. And the other is the new D-log @ 500 ISO. Houses with lake in distance is the new D-log processed with no noise reduction used. I did add a little saturation to the D-log shot btw. You can see a little noise in the lake. The stone quarry shot is shot in D-cinelike at 100 ISO.
D-log is def underexsposed btw! Had to open file up brighter almost 2 stops in camera raw!! So I guess I'll try moving histogram data a lot more to the right for better exposure maybe? Noise should go down some by doing that too hopefully!

Last edited:
View attachment 78199 View attachment 78200 Here is two photos one at 100 ISO with d-cinelike. And the other is the new D-log @ 500 ISO. Houses with lake in distance is the new D-log processed with no noise reduction used. I did add a little saturation to the D-log shot btw. You can see a little noise in the lake. The stone quarry shot is shot in D-cinelike at 100 ISO.
D-log is def underexsposed btw! Had to open file up brighter almost 2 stops in camera raw!! So I guess I'll try moving histogram data a lot more to the right for better exposure maybe? Noise should go down some by doing that too hopefully!
If you are shooting RAW photos I would assume you are best shooting them in the "none" mode, as RAW is RAW and there's nothing d-log can improve... It would only make sense to me to shoot d-log photos if you were shooting them in JPEG, which I avoid at all costs, unless there's no way around it (fast continuous shooting for example).

If you are shooting RAW photos I would assume you are best shooting them in the "none" mode, as RAW is RAW and there's nothing d-log can improve... It would only make sense to me to shoot d-log photos if you were shooting them in JPEG, which I avoid at all costs, unless there's no way around it (fast continuous shooting for example).
I would agree with that Zzz. But had a friend tell me that it should be better by enabling a little more dynamic range out of sensor. I love to know the real truth on this stuff for some **** reason! LOL

I would also like to know "the real truth" about all this.When is one of the hi-tech photo gurus around here going to do the actual tests? I'm waiting with bated breath and shooting manual-.jpg-none. Fortunately (I guess) I don't have any commercial jobs coming up real soon. Who will be the photo-virtuoso to step up?

I would also like to know "the real truth" about all this.When is one of the hi-tech photo gurus around here going to do the actual tests? I'm waiting with bated breath and shooting manual-.jpg-none. Fortunately (I guess) I don't have any commercial jobs coming up real soon. Who will be the photo-virtuoso to step up?

This discussion raged on months ago about the DR of photos shot with DLOG and RAW.

Raw uses the sensor data for photos only. You can set the bird to shoot with yellow and blue spots but the raw file is raw. There is no raw video (that's what the inspire is for) it's confusing because people assume the screen on their monitor is what is being captured in photo mode.

It's going to start a whole debate again I'm sure but I can 100% state that no matter what colour profile or log you're using in still photo mode whilst shooting in RAW makes absolutely no difference to the file. It WILL ONLY make a difference to jpegs and the preview images you get on the device.

DJI have added a button on the DJI go app which allows you to click on and off a simulator so pilots can see the affect of d log on footage.

Reactions: Zzz
This discussion raged on months ago about the DR of photos shot with DLOG and RAW.

Raw uses the sensor data for photos only. You can set the bird to shoot with yellow and blue spots but the raw file is raw. There is no raw video (that's what the inspire is for) it's confusing because people assume the screen on their monitor is what is being captured in photo mode.

It's going to start a whole debate again I'm sure but I can 100% state that no matter what colour profile or log you're using in still photo mode whilst shooting in RAW makes absolutely no difference to the file. It WILL ONLY make a difference to jpegs and the preview images you get on the device.

DJI have added a button on the DJI go app which allows you to click on and off a simulator so pilots can see the affect of d log on footage.

However being limited to 500 ISO whilst shooting pictures in DLOG will degrade image quality due to the increase of noise.
I really hope they add a way to separate video and and still settings.
Also I can say that after testing yesterday the DLOG photos are massively under exposed, by about 2 stops.
R

Reactions: KevMo Photog
However being limited to 500 ISO whilst shooting pictures in DLOG will degrade image quality due to the increase of noise.
I really hope they add a way to separate video and and still settings.
Also I can say that after testing yesterday the DLOG photos are massively under exposed, by about 2 stops.
R

Don't you have the little square on the DJI go app screen that shows you a 'normal' image when shooting DLOG? It's up by the AFlock symbol. The grey square and when tapped it simulates what DLOG will look like once processed. It essentially adds a LUT to the image. This is the same as adding a Atomos recorder as one other poster mentioned.

Has no one seen this feature of the new app version?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik