Cycling batteries not used for over 2 years?

Reaction score
After sitting on the shelf for over two years I decided to revive my P4P. The batteries have been in lipo bags the whole time (I did check on them periodically). I plan to fly all five batteries later today or tomorrow and was thinking in the interest of time I would only fly them down to around 60%. But, now I'm wondering if it would be better for battery health to fly them down to say 10% then fully charge them again before further flights?

Check the battery health in the app. Cell voltage will give you a clue.
Also press the button and hold, which can give you the life left in that unit. Sitting that long, you may want to check the sensors via the app also.

Reactions: kwrickman
Check the battery health in the app. Cell voltage will give you a clue.
Also press the button and hold, which can give you the life left in that unit. Sitting that long, you may want to check the sensors via the app also.
Thanks! Yeah, I did that already and the voltages looked good. I was thinking that the amount of time sitting without use could be a problem in itself. However, I see your point and will then also check voltages during the flights.

I usually fly with sensors off, but what is the concern about them after sitting so long?

Sensors meaning status of IMU and compass.
OK, right... Yeah, so I did five flights and the batteries appear fine. I flew in atti, sports and regular mode for 4 flights. On the last flight while coming in to land in P mode it switched to atti mode on it's own. It did this two years ago and I never figured out the problem. Will post logs in the flyaway subforum.

It is good to hear that the batteries wich were not in use for so long are fine.
I'm always worried about my batteries if I don't fly for more tha a month. I check them periodically and they seem fine. But few months ago one battery which hadn't been used for three months was dead although it was showing two lights all the time when resting.

Reactions: Jim Canada
If interested in fixing that battery, contact Erik Navarro at
[email protected]

Don’t throw the battery out.. if it’s just an imbalanced sell. Eric can fix that for $50. If it’s a bad cell and he needs to replace the cell it’ll be another $10. 50 or $60 is way better than 185 for a new one…

This is very useful info. But the problem can be the shipping fee which can make the cost for the repair much less attractive.

If interested in fixing that battery, contact Erik Navarro at
[email protected]

Don’t throw the battery out.. if it’s just an imbalanced sell. Eric can fix that for $50. If it’s a bad cell and he needs to replace the cell it’ll be another $10. 50 or $60 is way better than 185 for a new one…
I have a couple of dead P4P batteries .. who is Eric?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31