Customs restrictions at airports around the world? What is the risk factor?

Reaction score
The thought of travelling with my drone Internationally and being able to take aerial video/photo footage of my travels seems exciting, but I wonder about the risk of having the drone taken off me at airport security/customs around the world.

Do some countries have restrictions or is this determined by the mood of the customs officer at the time? It seems a great way for him to get his kid a cheap Christmas present.

I would hate to have a holiday ruined due simply to some official having a bad day.

Is there a list of restrictions determining if drones can be carried through customs for all International airports?

Pete.

The thought of travelling with my drone Internationally and being able to take aerial video/photo footage of my travels seems exciting, but I wonder about the risk of having the drone taken off me at airport security/customs around the world.
Do some countries have restrictions or is this determined by the mood of the customs officer at the time? It seems a great way for him to get his kid a cheap Christmas present.
I would hate to have a holiday ruined due simply to some official having a bad day.
Is there a list of restrictions determining if drones can be carried through customs for all International airports?
People travel internationally with their Phantoms every day of the week and airport security staff won't even blink when they see your Phantom's distinctive shape on their X-ray scanners.
All countries have rules and regulations that govern the way customs officers carry out their jobs.
If you are in a moderately civilised part of the world, customs officers can't just take anything they like the look of.
If you are traveling with your Phantom, look up the flying rules that apply to your destination countries.

Thank you Meta4.

I hope that you are correct and the world really is as perfect as we would like.

2 questions:

1/ Is there a list available to the flying public of universal customs/flight allowances for all countries available?

2/ If carrying a drone onto a commercial aircraft does it go into checked-in baggage or is it allowed as carry-on baggage?

Pete.

I usually search online, via Google or sites for the location that I plan to travel to and check their drone regulations.

I never checked in my drone. I always carry it on the aircraft, with few to no issues. There was once when TSA ran a test on it, but nothing any other time.

I wouldn't want to check it in. It's not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I travelled to Hawaii from California and no question was asked. I was fully prepared though.

Reactions: Nard
If carrying a drone onto a commercial aircraft does it go into checked-in baggage or is it allowed as carry-on baggage?
It can go in either. The batteries must be packed in your carry-on bag.

It depends on the airline if it allows it to go as carro on or request to be checked! You should always talk to the airline first!

The ones that I now:
Emirates - only checked
Air Asia - carry on or checked
Thai lion air - carry on or checked

It depends on the airline if it allows it to go as carro on or request to be checked! You should always talk to the airline first!

The ones that I now:
Emirates - only checked
Air Asia - carry on or checked
Thai lion air - carry on or checked

It's not safe to keep charged batteries in checked in baggage as there is no pressure control there. It's better to keep each of them in Lipo safe bag and take them in carry on bag.

I usually discharge them to 50-60% and pack them individually in packs like shown below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H...o+safe+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=5120Ri6LnML&ref=plSrch

Reactions: joebar.rc

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20