Custom Made ND filter no added weight Updated with Comparison Photos

Reaction score
***UPDATE ***
The current pricing for the filters are $5 for a set of 2 ND8 3 Stop filters shipped anywhere in the US.

I recently purchased some -3 stop ND Gel material and setup my CNC machine with a drag knife and cut a filter to fit exactly into the removable lens cover that is on the Phantom 3.

It is raining here at the moment so have not had a chance to take it out for a test but will post comparison pictures here when i am able....

For now here are some pics of the filter and of it installed on my camera....

2015-05-15 14.32.18.jpg
2015-05-15 14.30.48.jpg
2015-05-15 14.31.43.jpg

Last edited:
I've been wanting to test the Kodak Wratten ND filters. Could you shoot two of the exact same stills in 12mp with the p3 on a table shooting a high contrast scene with the ND 6 stop and no filter and post them for comparison?

I'm using Lee filter glass and it's heavy. I'm looking for an alternative and the Wratten gels might be the ticket if they are optically clean and sharp.

I would totally appreciate it.

Hey Buzz sure I can do that for you and get it posted. These Wratten Gels are really good, my close friend recommended them and he is a professional photographer but they are a bit pricey..He had sample of the Wratten and a cheaper gel sheet and the Wratten was a quite a bit thicker to hold up better when putting it into the camera of the P3 and also the Wratten were much sharper than the cheaper gel sheet when comparing photos from his DSLR.

Here are the comparison pictures on a bright sunny day....Apologize for the slant the table was a little off but these are to show a comparison so didn't think it to critical.

First shot is camera set to Manual with the following settings
(This is the setup I would use today shooting video at 4k/24fps)
ISO 100
Frame rate 1/50
ND6 Filter

Without Filter
No ND6.JPG

With ND6 filter:
w ND6.JPG

Next set of pictures are with the camera set with the following manual settings:
ISO 100
Frame Rate 1/320
ND3 Filter

Without ND filter
No ND3.JPG

With ND3 Filter
W ND3.JPG

Next set of images are with the camera set in full auto mode using the ND6 filter the main difference here is the following :

Without an ND6 filter my ISO is auto set to 100 and my Frame rate is 1/1600

No ND Auto.JPG

With the ND6 filter frame rate is much better setting were in full auto ISO 100, Frame Rate set to 1/400

W ND6 Auto.JPG

That's great dataway. Big airshow going on so temporary NFZ all around me. They are going to help with my photography so thank you very much.

How to buy, Dataway?

Hi Captain_Bob yes I am selling them until I run out of film sheets. I have my CNC machine cutting them out now and it looks like I will have about 100 of them available and am selling them in pairs to give you a total of 6 stops when combined.

Reactions: Captain_Bob
Hi Captain_Bob yes I am selling them until I run out of film sheets. I have my CNC machine cutting them out now and it looks like I will have about 100 of them available and am selling them in pairs to give you a total of 6 stops when combined.
I'm in... put me down for two (2) sets, for me and my partner. PM me with your cords...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31