Custom Made ND filter no added weight Updated with Comparison Photos

gfredrone - that is caused by the shutter speed being set too high if you are flying in auto mode and since we can not control the aperture in our P3 cameras we have to rely on ND filters to limit the light allowing us to reduce our shutter speeds to a more stable and acceptable level. I also updated my comment and see the brightness changing in the video and that is usually caused by the white balance being set to Auto you do not want to have this set in auto ..
That makes sense. All of my unfiltered videos have had WB on auto.

I tried looking back and didn't see it. What should white balance be? mine has been on auto and why?

I tried looking back and didn't see it. What should white balance be? mine has been on auto and why?

From a few threads I have read on the Inspire forum and in my own testing when I use Auto Balance it tends to make the color variation shift when the scene changes across the lighting bandwidth you are flying against and I have also experience the flashing I am seeing in the video. With my DSLR I can set tracking offsets on my white balance but the Phantom does not allow this hopefully in the future. I normally set my White Balance as a custom setting and I found 6000K to be the best in my situation.

Reactions: woobisah and ctp
Found this chart for anyone interested

upload_2015-5-27_16-6-24.png

Reactions: dataway
From a few threads I have read on the Inspire forum and in my own testing when I use Auto Balance it tends to make the color variation shift when the scene changes across the lighting bandwidth you are flying against and I have also experience the flashing I am seeing in the video. With my DSLR I can set tracking offsets on my white balance but the Phantom does not allow this hopefully in the future. I normally set my White Balance as a custom setting and I found 6000K to be the best in my situation.

I've noticed the same. I'll try 6000k

Is tthe standard Gel inlay you sell a ND8 filter? I had pretty good results with an ND8 or even stronger filters in the summertime. Or is it like a ND3 and you have to use like 3 ND3 filters on top of eachother? How is the fit, will they fall off behind the standard Phantom3 UV Filter glas? I would order maybe another original P3 UV Filter and put a ND3 gel in it for cloudy days if this works.

Prostreetcamaro - I have looked at both of your videos on my 5K monitor and if I take them to the same spot in which I see the out building and tractor in the bottom right corner, Video 1 Time :40 seconds in and Video 2 Time:17 seconds in, the video with the ND filters looks much more clear and the colors look much more natural and less saturated.. also it looks a bit overcast so you may get away with 1 filter...

I agree, the top one looks way more natural.

Attachments

• New Picture (18).jpg
    New Picture (18).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 336
First of all, huge thanks to dataway for putting these filters together. I look forward to a summer full of better shots. Secondly, I wanted to make sure I was using them correctly and taking everyone's settings advice to heart. Here's a test run I did by my house;

Settings:
4k 24 FPS
white balance set to 6000k
1 ND Filter (3 stops)
All other settings auto

How does this look to everyone? Any shakiness? Color OK? Any other settings I should tweak? I really appreciate any feedback. Getting ready for a beach run and wanted to make sure the ND filters were being used correctly.

Edited to clarify settings per request.

Last edited:
First of all, huge thanks to dataway for putting these filters together. I look forward to a summer full of better shots. Secondly, I wanted to make sure I was using them correctly and taking everyone's settings advice to heart. Here's a test run I did by my house at 4k 24 FPS with white balance set to 6000k. I only had one filter in due to it being evening and 2 probably being too much. How does this look to everyone? Any shakiness? Color OK? Any other settings I should tweak? I really appreciate any feedback. Getting ready for a beach run and wanted to make sure the ND filters were being used correctly.

P.S. It might take a second for 4k to show up. Video slowly processing.

Just a little but the trees and water look spot on 1080pHD . I'm wondering if 2 filters would have done something more to the sky? Was it hazy? Mine should be here soon Thanks to both of you for sharing the out comes. Maybe prostreetcamaro will tell us if he used 2 or 1, his clouds looked better but he mite have had no haze.

Yeah it looks fantastic... Can you Edit the post and give a brief run down? One Filter? And settings you can relay? Just a brief...
Thanks for the Share
Post edited. Hope that helps.

I don't know what the deal is with the haziness. I took the filter and lens cover off and looked through it and it wasn't visibly hazy. We had a lot of rain yesterday, could actually just be THAT hazy along the river. Not sure what else could cause it but I did notice that.

WOW you guys those videos are AWESOME....ProStreetCamaro it feels like i am in the trees when you take off WOW on a Hires monitor if feels like I can reach out and touch the leaves.......

Davemx it looks like the haze is in the atmosphere because when you look at the video directly down at the water it is very clear and as you look up to the distance you notice the haze comes into the video...but outstanding video all the color representations on both videos are spot on....

Great Job guys....

WOW you guys those videos are AWESOME....ProStreetCamaro it feels like i am in the trees when you take off WOW on a Hires monitor if feels like I can reach out and touch the leaves.......

Davemx it looks like the haze is in the atmosphere because when you look at the video directly down at the water it is very clear and as you look up to the distance you notice the haze comes into the video...but outstanding video all the color representations on both videos are spot on....

Great Job guys....
We'll, you gave us super affordable ND filters. We should thank you for upgrading the communal video quality!

Dataway, if and when you have more filters available , I would like to order a set. Just send me a message of where to pay.

Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West