CSC start and fly w/no app and wind = BAD IDEA

Reaction score
I am very new to both drones and this forum. Today I went to capture some trains and traffic running in an area of my hometown. When I got there, I was setting up when I heard a train horn. Well my Samsung Tab A took forever and then didn't recognize anything so I quickly decided to CSC start and fly from the remote. I hit record hoping to catch something.

However, I quickly realized that the drone had no GPS lock, was going everywhere and drifting with the wind hundreds of feet away. Luckily I fought the wind had visual on it the whole time and managed to get it back. I thought it was a goner.

But for anyone wondering, it was a VERY. BAD. IDEA.

I had the remote selector in P mode but it seemed as if I had no GPS lock to stabilize the flying. Does anyone know what all is disabled when you fly without an app but from the remote controller that comes with it?

Nothing is blocked if you don't use the app. You can't change the settings and you won't get the warning messages. All advantageous of fpv will be missing but you can definitely fly under risk of battery draining down with no info.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Nothing is blocked if you don't use the app. You can't change the settings and you won't get the warning messages. All advantageous of fpv will be missing but you can definitely fly under risk of battery draining down with no info.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hmmm...that is strange. The drone definitely took off with the wind and did not stay put as if it was in ATTI mode or had no GPS guidance

You can fly with out the app's/FPV. You need to have the LED codes down or a chart handy.( Phantom-LED Indicator Description - DJI Wiki ) If you absolutely need to launch with out FPV, you should be in ideal flying conditions with ZERO hazards around. But I would wager my next pay check that 99% here would say DO NOT launch with out FPV.

I'm pretty new as well, but starting and flying without the app running, you wouldn't be able to track it in case of a fly away... Am I correct?

starting and flying without the app running, you wouldn't be able to track it in case of a fly away... Am I correct?
You wouldn't have a flight log on your mobile device if that's what you're asking. However, if you start the DJI GO app after taking off, it will start logging flight data when it connects to the Phantom.

You wouldn't have a flight log on your mobile device if that's what you're asking. However, if you start the DJI GO app after taking off, it will start logging flight data when it connects to the Phantom.
Yeah.. That's what I was thinking. Again I'm pretty much a newb but it seems risky to me.. With a $1000 aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31