Crystalsky as an external monitor!

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked already but I'm curious if its hardware is capable of doing video input. From what I've been reading, it's mostly output and there's mention of it being able to act as an external monitor from other manufacturers, but is this simply a software/firmware update?

Any news on when this will happen? I've seen threads saying it will happen over the course of months but nothing definitive from what I've seen so far.

I could be mistaken, but I thought that the crystal sky was JUST a super bright external monitor that plugs in to the controller via hdmi (that’s why the Mavic can’t use it). Verses the p4p+ and p4a+ controller which have dji go 4 built in and don’t connect via hdmi.

I could be mistaken, but I thought that the crystal sky was JUST a super bright external monitor that plugs in to the controller via hdmi (that’s why the Mavic can’t use it). Verses the p4p+ and p4a+ controller which have dji go 4 built in and don’t connect via hdmi.

Why can't Mavic use it? I have a buddy who has it and connects to Mavic.

There is no way to get hdmi out of the Mavic vs the p4 where you can get the module.

Crystalsky is usable on all DJI drones, the HDMI on it is an output only for a second display feed.
And it gets it video from the USB connection on the Mavic/Spark/Phantom controller

Crystalsky is usable on all DJI drones, the HDMI on it is an output only for a second display feed.
And it gets it video from the USB connection on the Mavic/Spark/Phantom controller
Can you connect any external camera using the USB connection to crystalsky? Like an external DSLR? If so, what kind of wire do you use?

As far as I know that’s not supported while the electrical interface is USB I believe the protocol is proprietary to DJI equipment, and it would require DJI to supply drivers for the equipment you want, don’t see that happening

Reactions: Advexure
It runs android and DJI GO, DJI GO 4 & DJI Pilot so I’m not sure why you might expect it wouldn’t work with all DJI AC.

It runs android and DJI GO, DJI GO 4 & DJI Pilot so I’m not sure why you might expect it wouldn’t work with all DJI AC.

+1 the CS works with all DJI Drones. I have used it with the P4P, Mavic Pro and Spark.

It's basically a android tablet with a super bright screen and large battery to power the screen

Reactions: The Ghost
And that is most likely why they are making a software dongle.

No dongle required for output just a HDMI cable to connect to the output display, I've had the CS connected to my 4k tv and mirroring the CS screen.

No hdmi input at the moment, so you can't use it as a 2nd monitor

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ghost
No hdmi input at the moment, so you can't use it a 2nd monitor
Correct, and I've never seen any device use the same HDMI port as an input or output. Hardware-wise, I'm pretty sure that's not possible with today's chips. HDMI ports are fixed as either input or output, and on CS it's an output port. So any hopes of using CS as an HDMI monitor, connected to a Canon camera HDMI output, is only wishful thinking, IMO.

Correct, and I've never seen any device use the same HDMI port as an input or output. Hardware-wise, I'm pretty sure that's not possible with today's chips. HDMI ports are fixed as either input or output, and on CS it's an output port. So any hopes of using CS as an HDMI monitor, connected to a Canon camera HDMI output, is only wishful thinking, IMO.
So basically, its not possible to have this be an external monitor for any other device except for DJI products?

Last edited:
Reactions: alokbhargava

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31