Crowdfund hacker to build custom firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you confirm this is a linux OS in the bird?

I installed LUCI on both my wifi extender and on the birds wifi unit, so I know those are linux for sure. Tbh, don't know what's running on the little Cortex M3 brain in the P2V+, but it's probably Linux too. And as for the flight controller itself, it's either an RTOS, or, more likely, also Linux.

Reactions: stulpin300m
Absolutely bring on the crack. Count me in!

Happy to support the effort. Very limited dev skills though.

If this moves forward, happy to keep threads on this site but sources, deconstructed binaries, modified derivitaves, etc. will need to be on a drop box, github or similar.

Okay, count me in :)

btw. Sorry for my English, it's not my mother language.

I think we do not need drop box or similar thing yet. We need confirmation of someone more experienced with embedded stuff to give us some points where to start, what to check.

I asked on stackowerflow, one "down vote" for now. lol
Yes I written question as dumbest project manager ever, but answers to those two questions will clear is this idea possible to complete on elegant way or maybe even impossible.

there are 2 links on another thread (posted below) where people have started this process.
Has anyone ever ran these fw bins through binwalk?
I have not.. but others have started looking..

probonopd/phantom-licensecheck · GitHub (download findings.txt to see all of the strings extracted)
Google Translate (german forum with some analysis, Google translate does a pretty good job with it)
P3 Firmware - down grading firmware | DJI Phantom Forum

binwalk is a program used to look inside firmware usually used for routers. Its usually the 1st step in reverse engineering. Phantoms and routers have much of the same technology. I know basics, used many bootloaders, in other industries in the past, but Im no software engineer.

Even so, I do sometimes worry about how easy it would be for someone who means harm to have full access to P3 / Inspire technology. They can now reach places that have previously been out of reach for most people. Sobering to say the least.

The technology is already out there isn't it? Truly why would you buy a phantom to "do harm" You could build your own that needed no code breaking, unlocking, etc and do much more for less. I'm with everyone else that says. Why in the h!!!! would you want to fly a phantom in a NFZ anyway. To be completely honest NFZ's are few and far between in comparsion to place where you can fly legally. Fly where you are allowed to fly and do it responsibly. Not hard!

Reactions: Apilot101
btw, i think managed to extract whole camera code. configs, startup scripts, ip's, wlan passwords, everything..

some stuff still unknown. i can't find any code that manages device fly characteristic.

BUT, most interesting next step would be possibility to pack down lets say this from where i extracted and do custom version successfully packed and installed.

i'll continue to ask on stack more relevant question about this process.

did anyone bricked quadcopter yet? lololoo

Reactions: StevenQX
btw, i think managed to extract whole camera code. configs, startup scripts, ip's, wlan passwords, everything..

some stuff still unknown. i can't find any code that manages device fly characteristic.

BUT, most interesting next step would be possibility to pack down lets say this from where i extracted and do custom version successfully packed and installed.

i'll continue to ask on stack more relevant question about this process.

did anyone bricked quadcopter yet? lololoo
Do you think it would be possible for us to increase the bitrate?

Right. And, now, you cannot.

Why would you want to fly in a no-fly zone if it's illegal?

Because there are circumstances where you can't possibly interfere with a manned aircraft in a NFZ because of the overzealousness of the NFZ logic and mapping.

For example. my house is not in a NFZ, but the next block south is. We have high tension power lines running along the back of our property running N-S. We have a 300' (+900 AMSL) water tower half a block behind our houses. And trees. NO manned aircraft are going to be flying at 200' down my street short of the pilot coming on the intercom and saying "Brace! Brace! Brace!". And if thats the case, my copter isn't going to alter that situation in the least. So using a UAV to video Christmas lights at 100' down my block will NEVER interfere with a manned craft.

Now if the same UAV were up at +400' maybe. Even then is sketchy at best given the water tower is 300'. But to restrict a UAV from even getting off the ground when you don't intend to fly even above the treeline let alone above the highest tower, is moronic at best.

No idea yet. But that's one of top things i'm looking on. I would be glad if this ends in story like this.
The main difference is that, in p2v+, camera firmware was in it's own file so it was easier, in p3 camera and bird firmware is in the same file structure. The first big step should be to understand where, in the file structure, begin and ends camera data to decompile it.

Then, there are some forums mostly russian, where people edit with success vehicle camera firmware that have the same ambarella chipset as our phantom.

Reactions: gfredrone
Last edited:
So who here other than Shammyh has some technical capabilities to start hacking this thing? Let's start some lists:

Devs:
@Shammyh

And who else wants to throw in some monetary support? So far, we've got:

Contributors :
@flyNfrank
@aka1ceman
@skeeterest
@jasonb777
@ianwood (just added myself)

I'd add muvabee to that list, seeing as he's done the most actually work thus far. Also, I'm no expert, but I am an systems engineer by trade, and I'm glad to contribute whatever I can.

That and while I enjoy a bounty as much as the next man, I'd contribute only for the fun of hacking, not for cash. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.