Criticism Mounting over Transport Canada Drone Certification Exam Questions

...... I think they really want you to attend a private flight training center to learn all the material that is involved in flying. I have decided to enroll in the next classes at the Halifax Flight Center. Hopefully I will then be successful to obtain my advanced Pilot Certificate.

Maybe the guy / gal who wrote the exam questions has a cousin teaching the course........ ;)

Reactions: Josecoelho
A roadtest for cars in Ontario costs around 50 dollars and allowed a few mistakes, this just crap the government is doing to us, no regulation outside of them collecting money

Maybe the guy / gal who wrote the exam questions has a cousin teaching the course........ :)

Another question on the Advanced Certification exam:

"Who has the authority to request to see your aviation documents?"

A. The Chief Pilot, Flight Instructor, and a physician.

B. Customs Officer, Transport Canada Inspector, and Chief Pilot.

C. ATC, Transport Canada official, and immigration officer.

D. Chief Pilot, Customs Officer, and Transport Canada Inspector.

Anyone want to take a guess as to the correct answer to this one?

I'm going with "C".....

'C' is the correct answer.

Who knew an Immigration Officer can demand to see your aviation documents?

This question has ZERO to do with probing and testing to determine if an individual has reached a standard to certify they have the qualifications to operate their drone responsibly and safely. :(

I think they really want you to attend a private flight training center to learn all the material that is involved in flying

I can't argue there, they've made it mandatory here and C.A.S.A. don't do training themselves they just certify approved training organisations who have to have an approved "ReOC" (remote operators certificate) which requires an Operations manual and procedures library covering all the training organisations training and testing parameters for new pilots be submitted and certified by C.A.S.A. as meeting standard on top of all the regular operational requirements for the day to day running of the business.

Just to be clear RePL (remote pilots licence) is needed to simply fly for a company and doesn't exempt you from the standard operating procedures. Cost = around $1500. ReOC (Remote operators certificate) required to run a company, employ pilots and obtain exemption from standard operating procedures. Cost $2000 - $2500 including documents and C.A.S.A. certification of same.

Making up the documents isn't cheap, I've not long completed them for my business, not as a training organisation, that's not what my company does, but every business must obtain a ReOC to engage in whatever their industry niche is, each niche requiring manuals and procedures covering your operations, maintenance procedures and schedules, nomination of chief pilot to oversee operations so on and so on. Mine run to 200 pages plus.

C.A.S.A. On average charge $2000 to approve you manuals and library which have to be varied at further cost every time the law changes or your business model changes or even if you simply add a new aircraft type to your business inventory.

For training organisations C.A.S.A. also levy a not inconsiderable "administration charge" to issue the paperwork to the approved pilot once the training organisation deems them competent, the training organisations usually include that as part of your course fee so when you factor in the cost of their insurance and the fairly high costs of aircraft and consumables for the aircraft required to do the teaching and mandatory hours of practical training of the certification the training organisations aren't getting mega rich in a hurry even at $1500 a pop. C.A.S.A. which do nothing but review the paperwork and issue the certificates state they only charge on a "user covers cost" basis to do this but their published fees schedule is between $25 and $190 an hour so you can draw your own conclusions.

Being another Commonwealth country and as by the looks of it your new regime is a very close clone to the RePL process here (which is only for commercial operators although Canada Transport seem to want to impose that standard on recreatinal pilots as it stands now unless I've got my wires crossed which is crazy) I strongly suspect when the dust settles your regime will look a lot like ours which while being as above for RePL is a lot more realistic for recreational pilots. At least I hope that's how it goes for your sake.

Regards
Ari

One question that comes up on the Transport Canada Advanced Certification exam deals with the amount of time a pilot should take between donating blood and flying.

The FAA and Transport Canada rule is 24 hours.
However, 48 hours is recommended.

I answered 24 hours on my exam.

I got this question incorrect because when I checked the exam results, I was told to 'review blood donation and flight duty'.

I guess the answer they are looking for here is the recommended rule.....as opposed to the stated rule. :(

See why so many people are finding this exam very difficult?

This is crazy. I don't donate blood that I have to pay for. jmo

The correct answer is 'C'.

Who knew an immigration officer had the right to see your aviation documents?

I haven't taken the us part 107 but it sounds ridiculous and about like yours. Crazy part is you don't fly the drone during the test. They don't even know if you can fly one.

I haven't taken the us part 107 but it sounds ridiculous and about like yours. Crazy part is you don't fly the drone during the test. They don't even know if you can fly one.

I'm open to being corrected but from what I've read part 107 isn't quite as expensive or as involved as an RePL but from what I have read it sounds about right for someone wanting to operate commercially especially when that will soon give night operations and operations over a crowd with a parachute as part of the package. I believe a lot of people in the U.S. are doing part 107 with no intention of flying commercially just as a learning experience and a method of getting the authorities off their back (good on them too!).

Here to get night operations you need RePL for the pilot and then a company to employ them that has ReOC certification with the manauls stipulating all the threat and error management and risk mitigation you would put in place to safely night fly! Over crowds would require the same but you'd have to stipulate 6 or 8 rotor aircraft with multiple battery redundancy to even be allowed to fly within 15M of a crowd let alone overhead and you can forget about BVLOS. Only one of those variations has been issued in Australia to a Multinational (guess who) with a bottomless wallet who are running a trial Drone Delivery Service in the Nations capital Canberra.

The Canadian situation is another matter and would drive me out of my mind if (as I read it) even recreational pilots are going to need an almost industry level qualification to enjoy their hobby. The most maddening thing must be the lack of surety and established standards information available to the public at the moment.

I'll be totally honest ... the effort, time and expense to be certified and set up the business here (I'm in to the tune of $20K+ now) has just about ruined the enjoyability factor as far as a hobby goes. For every hour I spend flying I spend 5 hours doing safety assessments, operational planning and generally ticking procedural boxes.

I honestly hope that the situation for recreational pilots in Canada will normalise and attain some semblance of rational balance over the next few months because if the Government require recreational pilots to go to anything close to an RePL or Part 107 effort to just fly as a hobby then you can only assume that they are making a thinly veiled attempt to drive hobbyists out of the airspace to clear it for commercial interests.

Also, as a fellow Commonwealth Country Canadians and Australians are pretty like minded and it upsets me to think even with my qualifications it seems I couldn't go on holiday there and take my R.P.A. where as a Canadian could come here with theirs and even as a recreational pilot be allowed quite a lot of freedoms.

Anyway, for now it's just going to be a case of wait for the smoke to clear and see how it pans out.

Regards
Ari

"C" is the correct answer...............an immigration officer has the right to see your aviation documents.

"C" is the correct answer...............an immigration officer has the right to see your aviation documents.

So I understand, I could understand a customs offices, you might be importing one and they want to check if you are allowed or are going to register it but the current understanding I have, and please feel free to correct me, is that unless you are a Canadian Citizen you can't fly there so immigration has me a bit beat lol.

I suppose it'll all come out in the wash as they say.

Regards
Ari

Regarding the "Basic" test:
Soon as I saw some of the Qs my wife and I both exclaimed: "just to limit who gets it!" :)

Here is a good one in the Basic test: They ask what your max alt allowed; out of the multi-choice there is "300''" there is "400''" and 2 other heights. Right now we are allowed 300' / after Jun 1st, between 250 grams and 35 Kilograms in unrestricted airspace allows you to 400'!!
Which one to pick for a test you are doing today? I went for the 400', got the ticket but don't know if I got that one right or not, my thinking was that I am writing this test for regs coming into effect June 1st (thus 400' made sense).

I agree that competency and knowledge testing is needed to keep flying drones safely in our communities, but this kind of approach to testing can only result in less people flying legally......
I got the same ambiguous questions... answered what was in effect that day..
Don't know if I got them right. I just barely got my license.
There were other questions about magnetic inclination in some other province
and the distance/direction between towns in Alberta... I'm in Quebec.
Questions that a commercial pilot may know.

The questions seem to be stacked against safe flying drone pilots.
Maybe we should post the questions....:/

Jerry

Reactions: Capt. Joe
I just took the United States UAS recurrent knowledge test 2 days ago. I actually spent some time studying for it since I always strive to do my best. I thought I was well prepared but still missed 3 questions, 2 of which I thought were awfully written. Anyways, I am a former Air Force Instructor Pilot and hold an ATP so I've been studying this stuff for quite some time. I feel the US tests are tough but it seems like the Canadian tests are tougher, as if designed to prevent people from enjoying drones.

Reading aviation weather products is not easy. In the US all we have to know is that the ceiling must be at least 900 agl with a minimum visibility of 3 miles. That's all you need to know but they test as if you are in charge of space shuttle launches!

Reactions: Capt. Joe
I have read that none of DJI’s products qualify for use with the advanced certification, any truth? Thanks

Last edited:

Seriously.

My wife took the Part 107 exam last year and passed easily. She has the ability to memorize things and recall them easily for tests. She had never flown a drone before this test.

I have flown drones for years, and I helped her study for it. I was shocked that the test was geared more towards flying a Cessna, rather than a sUAS. It was ridiculous. They had you looking at charts for which direction a plane would have to land at particular airports. A PLANE! And looking at long-term weather reports and crap, like you'd be flying your drone from Dallas to Chicago or something. Stupid.

Realtors were flying drones in our area without their Part 107, and we know they were reported to the FAA - and nothing was done. So that made others say "screw the Part 107, we're not playing by the rules if they aren't being enforced," and now so many others are now doing commercial work with their drones, and nobody cares. Even local government were hiring people to do jobs without caring that they had their Part 107, despite being warned not to hire them. It's crazy.

There were other questions about magnetic inclination in some other province
and the distance/direction between towns in Alberta... I'm in Quebec.
Questions that a commercial pilot may know.

Agreed, those sort of questions are used in the RePL exam here

and I expect that on a commercial operators test, but not for a recreational pilot.

The questions seem to be stacked against safe flying drone pilots.

Well it's fair to say they don't seemed to be oriented at basic regulations, safety and perhaps a little LiPo management which is what a recreational pilot should know

Maybe we should post the questions....:/

I heard somewhere that is an offense in Canada so maybe best not.

Reading aviation weather products is not easy. In the US all we have to know is that the ceiling must be at least 900 agl with a minimum visibility of 3 miles. That's all you need to know but they test as if you are in charge of space shuttle launches!

Same here, RePL requires knowledge of how to read and decipher VTC, Terminal forecasts inlcuding changes expected and when with time conversions for location, use NAIPS and NOTAMs and understand all vernacular ... it's one step below recreational pilots license but at least here they admit it before you try.

I have read that none of DJI’s products qualify for use with the advanced certification, any truth? Thanks

Currently correct but DJI have stated that they will provide the required documentation for commercial level R.P.A. to Canada Transport as soon as possible. Whether that will include Phantom and Mavic 2 I don't know. I think in the end they will provide the specs for all their products or they won't sell many in Canada will they?

They had you looking at charts for which direction a plane would have to land at particular airports. A PLANE! And looking at long-term weather reports and crap, like you'd be flying your drone from Dallas to Chicago or something. Stupid.

Yes, same here for RePL but not recreational.

Realtors were flying drones in our area without their Part 107, and we know they were reported

Same thing happening here but C.A.S.A. has started to act on it.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: lasersbee
OK just for comparison C.A.S.A. has just released in the last few days the proposed new licensing and registration laws to come into effect July 1st 2019

Three classes of license

1. RPA (Recreational Pilots Accreditation)

Will require watching a 3 minute online video and an online exam taking around 8 minutes
Done at home with no invigilation so while it will be discouraged nothing to stop you web searching the answers as you do the test.
No fee

2. ERPA (Excluded class Recreational Pilots Accreditation) This is for people who are really recreational pilots but take in a job here and there for a bit of income. You're limited to sub 2Kg aircraft and can't do work in controlled airspace.

Will require watching an online video and online test total estimated 30 minutes for both. Again from home without invigilation so you could web search the answers although it will be discouraged (not sure how)
No fee

3. RePL (Remote Pilots licence) This is the big one, $1500 dollar course with an accredited training organisation plus another $500 for Aeronautical Radio Operators Certificate (optional but needed if you want to fly commercially in controlled airspace) General English Language proficiency test as in manned aviation.

Includes all the "out there" questions you have all quoted and more. Meteorology, Aviation Law, Human Factors, Aeronautical Theory. Formalised Threat and Error management and risk mitigation, ability to read all aviation charts, notices, weather and NOTAM information, time conversions, aeronautical terms, radio procedure you name it.

Thirty to Forty hours study not including Radio Certificate. A 2 & 1/2 hour 80 question exam in a supervised invigilated enviroment, closed book, 75% pass mark. Another 50 Questions and 30 minutes for Radio Certificate plus recorded practical radio simulations, 80% pass mark. Minimum 5 hours practical flying instruction and must be able to demonstrate ability to perform quite a number of aerial patterns and maneuvers to within 1m accuracy in Atti mode in any weather condition below manufactures stated maximums. You can pass the theory but be refused your RePL if not considered practically competent in flight skills.

RPA and ERPA expire and you must resit every three years.

RePL valid for life but expected to keep up with regulatory changes and may be required to demonstrate your knowledge.

Minimum age 16 for ANY license

Registration for recreational R.P.A. $20 per aircraft per year

Registration for commercial aircraft $100 - $160 per year per aircraft

If you fly your R.P.A. 99% for recreational and even 1% commercial purposes it must be registered as commercial.

In summary, in my opinion, recreational pilots get a much more appropriate and easy test than in Canada.
For just a little bit more and still way less than Canada you can do the odd job in non controlled airspace as an ERPA.

Full on commercial RePL is probably a little harder than Canada Transport or Part 107 but perhaps it should be as we can fly right up to aerodrome boundaries and fly outside of standard operating conditions.

Registration of any kind and RePL certification seems to be way more expensive here.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: lasersbee
OK just for comparison C.A.S.A. has just released in the last few days the proposed new licensing and registration laws to come into effect July 1st 2019

Three classes of license

1. RPA (Recreational Pilots Accreditation)

Will require watching a 3 minute online video and an online exam taking around 8 minutes
Done at home with no invigilation so while it will be discouraged nothing to stop you web searching the answers as you do the test.
No fee

2. ERPA (Excluded class Recreational Pilots Accreditation) This is for people who are really recreational pilots but take in a job here and there for a bit of income. You're limited to sub 2Kg aircraft and can't do work in controlled airspace.

Will require watching an online video and online test total estimated 30 minutes for both. Again from home without invigilation so you could web search the answers although it will be discouraged (not sure how)
No fee

3. RePL (Remote Pilots licence) This is the big one, $1500 dollar course with an accredited training organisation plus another $500 for Aeronautical Radio Operators Certificate (optional but needed if you want to fly commercially in controlled airspace) General English Language proficiency test as in manned aviation.

Includes all the "out there" questions you have all quoted and more. Meteorology, Aviation Law, Human Factors, Aeronautical Theory. Formalised Threat and Error management and risk mitigation, ability to read all aviation charts, notices, weather and NOTAM information, time conversions, aeronautical terms, radio procedure you name it.

Thirty to Forty hours study not including Radio Certificate. A 2 & 1/2 hour 80 question exam in a supervised invigilated enviroment, closed book, 75% pass mark. Another 50 Questions and 30 minutes for Radio Certificate plus recorded practical radio simulations, 80% pass mark. Minimum 5 hours practical flying instruction and must be able to demonstrate ability to perform quite a number of aerial patterns and maneuvers to within 1m accuracy in Atti mode in any weather condition below manufactures stated maximums. You can pass the theory but be refused your RePL if not considered practically competent in flight skills.

RPA and ERPA expire and you must resit every three years.

RePL valid for life but expected to keep up with regulatory changes and may be required to demonstrate your knowledge.

Minimum age 16 for ANY license

Registration for recreational R.P.A. $20 per aircraft per year

Registration for commercial aircraft $100 - $160 per year per aircraft

If you fly your R.P.A. 99% for recreational and even 1% commercial purposes it must be registered as commercial.

In summary, in my opinion, recreational pilots get a much more appropriate and easy test than in Canada.
For just a little bit more and still way less than Canada you can do the odd job in non controlled airspace as an ERPA.

Full on commercial RePL is probably a little harder than Canada Transport or Part 107 but perhaps it should be as we can fly right up to aerodrome boundaries and fly outside of standard operating conditions.

Registration of any kind and RePL certification seems to be way more expensive here.

Regards
Ari
Do you still need an operators certificate (ReOC) on top of the RePL to operator your own business? The remote pilots certification required that you fly under supervision of a licenced operator and the approved conditions- has that changed?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4