Crashed Phantom in Manhattan in the News

Maybe after one or two highly publicized lawsuits, the cerebrally challenged pilots will start thinking twice about attempting such flights. Reckless endangerment doesn't require any laws to be broken.

Yea, I'm afraid that the stupid factor will definitely get us into trouble. The AMA membership covers us with liability insurance, but they have guidelines on where and how you can fly. I don't think any of these crazy stunts are covered. All it will take is someone getting beaned in the head and severely injured or killed by a Phantom and our life as we know it will change forever.

It is a sad incedent for us, who just like to fly the Phantom in a secure way. For DJI, it is properly the best free commercial they could ever ask for, as picture and price was mentioned in the news.

I think those of us who fly our UAV's responsibly need to be a bit pro-active here in, first, being willing to step in and say something if we see someone flying their UAV irresponsibly and, second, bringing this matter to the attention of local government and police officials so that they are prepared to react if they get complaints. Being pro-active is always better than waiting until something happens and then trying to convince the public and government that we aren't all a bunch of wing nuts (well, O.K., propellor nuts).

Just like the last quad that fell out of the sky, this was probably already on the ground. He most likely walked up and took it, notice how he doesn't even show the actual Phantom, just claims it's all busted up. Now if I was the owner, I'd file a police report claiming that person has my property that I lost.

BruceTS said:
Just like the last quad that fell out of the sky, this was probably already on the ground. He most likely walked up and took it, notice how he doesn't even show the actual Phantom, just claims it's all busted up. Now if I was the owner, I'd file a police report claiming that person has my property that I lost.

I guess you didn't watch the video from the quadcopter?

Or read the article?

The video from the crashed drone shows it taking off from a high-rise terrace in Midtown Manhattan on Monday. It's evening rush hour and below thousands of New Yorkers are heading home, unaware that 20 to 30 stories above them, a small, 3-pound radio-controlled helicopter with a camera is flying overhead. The drone's camera records video of some of the city's most iconic buildings: The Chrysler, Met-Life, and Grand Central. It's clear though the operator is inexperienced as he loses control of the unmanned aircraft several times, slamming it into high rises. The flight 300-to-400 feet above Midtown lasts about 3 minutes before it strikes the corner of a building and crashes to the street below, missing the businessman by feet: "They made conscious decision to fly something they don't have control over obviously through the most crowded city, most crowded time of the day and I can't believe there's no law against this," he said.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/investigators&id=9270668

Yes, I think this was irresponsible, no question about it , but the media is, as expected, making WAY too big of a deal out of it.
How many drunk drivers were out driving the same day the phantom flew ? How many gang related crimes ? How many HIV infections ? It's almost comical that they are making such a big deal about a phantom falling out of the sky. That has to be one of the least dangerous of all of the daily dangers that exist in NYC.
Don't get me wrong .... I'm not saying this is OK, just commenting on what seems to be a typical over-reaction

mintakax said:
Yes, I think this was irresponsible, no question about it , but the media is, as expected, making WAY too big of a deal out of it.
How many drunk drivers were out driving the same day the phantom flew ? How many gang related crimes ? How many HIV infections ? It's almost comical that they are making such a big deal about a phantom falling out of the sky. That has to be one of the least dangerous of all of the daily dangers that exist in NYC.
Don't get me wrong .... I'm not saying this is OK, just commenting on what seems to be a typical over-reaction

Yeah, you're right.
For every drunk driver on the road we can justify an idiot flying a multirotor without regard to other's safety.

And yeah, as long as there are gang related crimes, a quadcopter falling from 30 stories is really nothing to worry about.

Why yes, for each and every HIV infection, we should fly a quadcopter over crowded streets! HIV virus falling from the Manhatten sky, or multi-rotors - we're all doomed...

Honestly GoodNStuff, do you really think I was justifying this behavior ? As a matter of fact I stated right off the bat that it was irresponsible .... No ?
I was merely commenting on the knee jerk media reaction. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl