Crashed my drone!!! Should I even bother repairing it???

Ok everyone so here's the deal... I was told I need a new camera. I also have to get the other stuff I mentioned above fixed. Taking into account shipping it there and back and the repair, I am over half of what I paid for the drone. I would like to sell it for parts. What do you think is reasonable to get for a drone just as parts (nothing else included, just drone itself)?
I PMed you about repair. I also would buy if if you just want to sell

Buy some used parts and new parts and try to fix it - what is the worst that can happen? I just spent the better part of two weeks tweaking and fixing my P3 and I now pretty much know everything there is to know about these quads. it's a good learning tool.

Ok everyone so here's the deal... I was told I need a new camera. I also have to get the other stuff I mentioned above fixed. Taking into account shipping it there and back and the repair, I am over half of what I paid for the drone. I would like to sell it for parts. What do you think is reasonable to get for a drone just as parts (nothing else included, just drone itself)?
I would guess you don't need a new camera rather a yaw motor alignment however if you wish to sell keep in mind a referb unit with factory warranty sells for just under $600 now so personally I would not pay more than $300 for a crashed parts P4P when I can buy a new unit for $600.

When my Phantom crashed, I sent it to DJI in California, unfortunately I didn't get my original model back, I got a different one back, it has been fine, no issues, but it takes time like 5 days each way for shipping for me, plus it takes several days for them to get it in their system and evaluated and once you ok the repair cost, then it takes even more days, I think it was around 3-4 weeks total for me, I don't know if they have gotten any better, but just be prepared if you send it to them, you'll probably never see that one again. If you want to preserve your warranty then you need to go with DJI, I had ZERO luck trying to go to an authorized repair center, they can't get the parts.

There are a number of reputable people here on phantompilots.com who perform repairs, check with them

Last edited:
So I backed my Phantom 4 into a pole. Really bummed. It's not even paid off yet. I don't know if I should just chuck this up as a loss or if there is something I do to replace it myself if I buy parts. I just don't know how complicated it is. These are what I have noticed.

(I don't know how to post pics so click the link to see pics of what I am talking about...Drone Damage Link.)

1. Landing gear was the main victim. A Cable was cut... I think it is the compass. The compass shows disconnected. The other 4 cable ribbon is just disconnected. What is that for?

2. Camera issues. I keep getting gimbal motor overloaded. It keeps twitching. Calibration gets stuck at 5%. I noticed that the black rubber collar is out too. Should the collar be like that?

Anyway... I'm hoping the camera is fine since that is the big dollar problem. Is the camera and landing gear something I can do myself? Should I just chuck this up as a loss being that if I have to replace the camera and the landing gear looks like almost if not half the price I paid for the drone.

If it's just the landing gear...maybe. Would love to hear your thoughts. How easy is this to repair???
I had a similar crash recently, but without the camera problems, just the landing gear, I bought new landing gear and fixed it my self. The drone works fine now.
A couple of tips if you decide to fix it.
1. The compass is in the undercarriage/landing gear. And I believe that the arial is as well.
2. If the compass still does not work after you fix it you may have faulty (new)undercarriage. It
happend to me
3. If the wires are not actually broken, it is not that hard to replace the undercarriage.

If you have any other specific questions about the undercarriage I may be able to help.

I had a similar crash recently, but without the camera problems, just the landing gear, I bought new landing gear and fixed it my self. The drone works fine now.
A couple of tips if you decide to fix it.
1. The compass is in the undercarriage/landing gear. And I believe that the arial is as well.
2. If the compass still does not work after you fix it you may have faulty (new)undercarriage. It
happend to me
3. If the wires are not actually broken, it is not that hard to replace the undercarriage.

If you have any other specific questions about the undercarriage I may be able to help.
I looked at the photos and the wires are broken on the legs. He has to be sure to get landing gear with wires. They are only about $30 on EBay that way. Amazon does not have them with wires. I have tried and got them without wires. Had to send them back

So I backed my Phantom 4 into a pole. Really bummed. It's not even paid off yet. I don't know if I should just chuck this up as a loss or if there is something I do to replace it myself if I buy parts. I just don't know how complicated it is. These are what I have noticed.

(I don't know how to post pics so click the link to see pics of what I am talking about...Drone Damage Link.)

1. Landing gear was the main victim. A Cable was cut... I think it is the compass. The compass shows disconnected. The other 4 cable ribbon is just disconnected. What is that for?

2. Camera issues. I keep getting gimbal motor overloaded. It keeps twitching. Calibration gets stuck at 5%. I noticed that the black rubber collar is out too. Should the collar be like that?

Anyway... I'm hoping the camera is fine since that is the big dollar problem. Is the camera and landing gear something I can do myself? Should I just chuck this up as a loss being that if I have to replace the camera and the landing gear looks like almost if not half the price I paid for the drone.

If it's just the landing gear...maybe. Would love to hear your thoughts. How easy is this to repair???

Hi, I crashed into trees, sport mode fast flying, and here are pics before/after, I ordered, landing gear DJIP4-026 Landing Gear (P4 Only) and middle shell DJIP4-026 Landing Gear (P4 Only), then watched 2 videos, then did it myself, fixed 1 week after crash, took me bout 6 hrs (took my time), cost $100 parts, and bought the metric/micro/electronics precision toolkit $20 Computer Repair Tool Kit Precision For Laptop Electronics PC Repair Tool Set NEW | eBay, also plastic pry tool (seperate middle from top shell) Plastic Removal Pry Tool For Auto Racing Car Radio Door Panel Audio LED Light, the bottom shell(grey camera part) hex screws can strip easily so use firm pressure/twist little by little, torque screwdrivers come in handy included in kit, new screws preferrable but not neccessary, excellent videos, also allen wrench set, I watched each bout 3 times, you will have more confidence in knowing the inners of this drone, everything comes apart/and can be replaced, quicker/cheaper than mailing back for repairs, here you go.
It now flies perfect w/one compass, but the second compass(redundant backup) isnt working, so I ordered the Power Module Interface Phantom 4 Pro Power Interface Module that the 2 compasses plug into and will be replacing it, not neccessary but I preferr both, it involves some soldering which is covered in videos, bought this solder iron X-Tronic Model #3040-XR3 - 75 Watt Soldering Station - LED Temp Display, C/F Programmable Switch, 10 Minute Sleep Function, Iron Holder with Brass Tip Cleaner, Cleaning Flux Plus 6 Asst Soldering Tips - - Amazon.com and will be doing sometime soon, mainly watch carefully the videos, lotsa patience and attention to detail, no sweat and you'll be able to build this drone from scratch if needs be, and save $$$$ and time. Itsa fabulous drone with fantastic video, there are videos on camera twitch too, some say the it can get caught on the black ribbon cable on the camera arm, good luck, God bless.

Attachments

• 20170508_115013.jpg
    20170508_115013.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
  • 20170508_114951.jpg
    20170508_114951.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 260
  • 20170521_192933.jpg
    20170521_192933.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
I would guess you don't need a new camera rather a yaw motor alignment however if you wish to sell keep in mind a referb unit with factory warranty sells for just under $600 now so personally I would not pay more than $300 for a crashed parts P4P when I can buy a new unit for $600.

The last I saw a refurbished P4 was going for $799. Did you mean a P3 is $600?

When my Phantom crashed, I sent it to DJI in California, unfortunately I didn't get my original model back, I got a different one back, it has been fine, no issues, but it takes time like 5 days each way for shipping for me, plus it takes several days for them to get it in their system and evaluated and once you ok the repair cost, then it takes even more days, I think it was around 3-4 weeks total for me, I don't know if they have gotten any better, but just be prepared if you send it to them, you'll probably never see that one again. If you want to preserve your warranty then you need to go with DJI, I had ZERO luck trying to go to an authorized repair center, they can't get the parts.

There are a number of reputable people here on phantompilots.com who perform repairs, heck with them

Does DJI give quotes before you send it if you tell them what you need? Or do you send and wait not knowing how much it would be??? Plus did DJI even repair gimbals or just tell you to get another whole camera like the authorized repair places tell you?

Does DJI give quotes before you send it if you tell them what you need? Or do you send and wait not knowing how much it would be??? Plus did DJI even repair gimbals or just tell you to get another whole camera like the authorized repair places tell you?
You wait not knowing. Sometimes they are quick but mostly it is a long wait. It can take weeks

They just sell you a new camera.

Pretty easy repair. I've hit power lines, walls, trees, you name it. I've done all repairs myself. Landing struts are easy. Camera/Gimbal is easy. I clipped a tree one time come back to my LZ and had the replace the camera and gimbal. $300 for parts.Simple installation.

If you decide to send it off instead of doing the repairs yourself check with DroneNerds in Florida. Fast and their prices are reasonable.

www.dronenerds.com

Looks like about 60 dollars of repair in the US. You can get the pitch and roll board, cable set and compass board off ebay. You probably need props, too. It's a pain to snap apart the body, and you nred to buy the toolkit with all the securiy bits to disassemble it.

Looks like about 60 dollars of repair in the US. You can get the pitch and roll board, cable set and compass board off ebay. You probably need props, too. It's a pain to snap apart the body, and you nred to buy the toolkit with all the securiy bits to disassemble it.

My P2A came apart easily with just a Phillips screwdriver. The newer models might be different and may use hex head screws. The tools are available at Harbor Freight. If doing any soldering you need to use a small low wattage iron. I use an Antex with a variable temperature controller. When soldering near IC's and other surface components you need to get the job done fast. Solder and remove the heat as quick as possible. Otherwise the heat will flow to those components and possibly cause damage. I replaced the bottom shell of my P3A and had to transfer all of the "guts" over. Not hard if you're used to working with electronics. I spent 20+ years repairing 35mm cameras so a drone is a piece of cake. One suggestion I would give drone manufacturers is install thermal fuses on the motor control boards. My P2A landed upside down and I my kill the motors signal did not reach it. The motors overheated and warped the shell. Thermal fuses would have saved me some time and money. My P2V went down in a like so now I'm flying a P3A. Love it but I'll eventually upgrade. I'll keep the P3A as a back up unless I drown it or crash it beyond repair. o_O

Never soldered a thing in my life.

:) It's easy with the right equipment. With so much stuff today it's just plugging in boards. No soldering needed. I noticed on my P3A the motor speed controllers are located on the main board. Good or bad design? I'm not sure. Cheaper to manufacture but more expensive to repair. Here's the inside of a P2V and the melted motor mounts on the shell.
DSCN0547.JPG
DSCN0547.JPG
Melted motor mounts.JPG

Hey man gravity always brings me down so I can relate send it to Robb at alltronix he will fix it cheap and fast so you can get back in the air 260-498-6892

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav