Crashed my drone!!! Should I even bother repairing it???

Reaction score
So I backed my Phantom 4 into a pole. Really bummed. It's not even paid off yet. I don't know if I should just chuck this up as a loss or if there is something I do to replace it myself if I buy parts. I just don't know how complicated it is. These are what I have noticed.

(I don't know how to post pics so click the link to see pics of what I am talking about...Drone Damage Link.)

1. Landing gear was the main victim. A Cable was cut... I think it is the compass. The compass shows disconnected. The other 4 cable ribbon is just disconnected. What is that for?

2. Camera issues. I keep getting gimbal motor overloaded. It keeps twitching. Calibration gets stuck at 5%. I noticed that the black rubber collar is out too. Should the collar be like that?

Anyway... I'm hoping the camera is fine since that is the big dollar problem. Is the camera and landing gear something I can do myself? Should I just chuck this up as a loss being that if I have to replace the camera and the landing gear looks like almost if not half the price I paid for the drone.

If it's just the landing gear...maybe. Would love to hear your thoughts. How easy is this to repair???

Attachments

• IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,175
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,194
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_2943.JPG
    IMG_2943.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG_2945.PNG
    IMG_2945.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,191
  • IMG_2951.JPG
    IMG_2951.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,191
Last edited:
Posting pictures is easy. Click the Upload a File button just down there to the right. That opens files in your computer. Select the one you want then click to upload.
There are several antennae in the legs of the landing gear, that's what the wires are for. You could replace the LG. That is pretty simple if you have basic mechanical abilities.
The camera... now that's a different story. Very complicated and delicate.
Try tucking that rubber collar back in, it is a dust boot and is likely interfering with the gimbal in it's present state.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
It appears to be very repairable if you have the skills. Doesn't look that bad to me but I've been doing RC planes and helis for over 25 years and was raised in a garage.

That bad boy can be fixed fairly easily. Just take your time and take pictures along the way and keep them in order for working in reverse. ;)

Posting pictures is easy. Click the Upload a File button just down there to the right. That opens files in your computer. Select the one you want then click to upload.
There are several antennae in the legs of the landing gear, that's what the wires are for. You could replace the LG. That is pretty simple if you have basic mechanical abilities.
The camera... now that's a different story. Very complicated and delicate.
Try tucking that rubber collar back in, it is a dust boot and is likely interfering with the gimbal in it's present state.

Thanks for the tip on uploading the files!

It appears to be very repairable if you have the skills. Doesn't look that bad to me but I've been doing RC planes and helis for over 25 years and was raised in a garage.

That bad boy can be fixed fairly easily. Just take your time and take pictures along the way and keep them in order for working in reverse. ;)

The camera seems to work but the gimbal is acting really wonky. Do I need to get a whole camera if it still works or are there parts for just the gimbal stuff?

Also anyone have any videos that shows how to replace even the landing gear???

Yes!!! By all means try to fix it yourself. I'd never send another one to DJI and have to talk to that bunch again. All they know how to do is lie! Even when telling the truth is easier and faster, they LIE! I fought with them all of February and never did get my question answered. They would make up some off the cuff excuse that had no bearing on my drone and then I'd get someone else next call who would have no idea what my last phone call was about and they would make up another different story, along with a stupid answer! I even finally got to a supposed supervisor who reviewed my "file" and told me something entirely different! That is the most unorganized bunch I have ever had to deal with. AVOID them at all costs! You will do better to try to fix it yourself and if unsuccessful sent it to someone else, but not to DJI!!!

Jim
WA5TEF

Here is a picture of the position the camera gets stuck in when I do the calibration. Here is a link with a short video. It does this almost everytime. It just tilts to this one side, going up and down, rotating a bit but staying all the way to one side.

Gimbal Calibration Video Link
Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 12.56.16 AM.png

One of the greatest lessons I learned as a small boy on a farm and growing up in a garage was, "What good is it to you the way it is?" Grab ya some screwdrivers and a pair of small needle-nose pliers and TAKE YOUR TIME. Youtube is your friend if you don't want to adventure alone.

remove gimbal phantom 4 - YouTube

How does the gimbal move by hand movements with everything turned off? Does anything LOOK out of place (Like the rubber ring. Did you get that back right? Are you SURE?)? Try the easy stuff first.

Last edited:
This is very easy to do. Mine was in a worst state, camera snapped off, shell busted. And yet just like you... Still paying it off... DJI fixed it all up for £90. Very much worth it. Yours will be a lot lower. To be honest the parts on mine came to £40, it was the labour at £50 that was the most expensive. No idea how to fix it otherwise I would have saved the extra cash and done it myself

Reactions: DocDiggler
Just look for gimbal repair at youtube i just replaced my ribbon cable on my drone and is not that hard just take your time and you will be flying faster then sending it for repairs [emoji106][emoji106]

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
So after researching, I realized that the issue could be multiple things... Could be gimbal motor, PCB of gimbal, etc. I read various people talking about how they would replace one part and still have an issue. I just don't have the time especially if I don't know exactly what needs to be replaced. Plus, with the compass being cut I was told I would have to open the body. I've never done anything like that before. Most repair places I contacted was all like, just replace the entire camera/gimbal system because DJI doesn't sell individual parts of the gimbal... All the repair places said that. One place was willing to take the needed gimbal parts off of a DJI camera. Another place said they use a supplier in China that sources gimbal parts from DJI. It's still expensive. Like a few hundred. Will let you know what ends up happening. Hopefully there aren't other hidden things found wrong.

Reactions: Yo quisiera dji
So I backed my Phantom 4 into a pole. Really bummed. It's not even paid off yet. I don't know if I should just chuck this up as a loss or if there is something I do to replace it myself if I buy parts. I just don't know how complicated it is. These are what I have noticed.

(I don't know how to post pics so click the link to see pics of what I am talking about...Drone Damage Link.)

1. Landing gear was the main victim. A Cable was cut... I think it is the compass. The compass shows disconnected. The other 4 cable ribbon is just disconnected. What is that for?

2. Camera issues. I keep getting gimbal motor overloaded. It keeps twitching. Calibration gets stuck at 5%. I noticed that the black rubber collar is out too. Should the collar be like that?

Anyway... I'm hoping the camera is fine since that is the big dollar problem. Is the camera and landing gear something I can do myself? Should I just chuck this up as a loss being that if I have to replace the camera and the landing gear looks like almost if not half the price I paid for the drone.

If it's just the landing gear...maybe. Would love to hear your thoughts. How easy is this to repair???

Depending on where you live, see if you can find an authorized DJI Repair Centre. I live in the UK and had a cracked shell on my Phantom 3 Standard. I found a place about an hours drive from me that replaced it in a couple of days. I dropped mine off and collected it. Parts were £56 and the labour £70 and they re calibrated everything too. Much better than shipping it back to DJI.

Exhaust all efforts to you before you send it to DJI. You'll be in for a frustrating ordeal if you have to send it to them. They will lie to you when simply telling the truth is easier and quicker! Strange people indeed.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Ok everyone so here's the deal... I was told I need a new camera. I also have to get the other stuff I mentioned above fixed. Taking into account shipping it there and back and the repair, I am over half of what I paid for the drone. I would like to sell it for parts. What do you think is reasonable to get for a drone just as parts (nothing else included, just drone itself)?

If I had the change lying around $200 for the motors alone for mine if I ever get to 100hrs. I'm sure someone who was down because of parts you have left would pay more.

OK, yes you may be able to fix it yourself. You will need to take photos of where some of the wires go from the landing gear. they are different colors.ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing. When you buy the new landing gear, make 100% sure that they come with the wires. I see yours may be bad. The camera is a whole different story. Very difficult if the Yaw motor or sensor are damaged. Getting it to point straight ahead is impossible for most. Is the body of the drone damaged? Replacing the bottom is easy but the top is difficult because you have to un-solder and re-solder all the wires from the motors..
I am going to PM you with an offer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj