Crashed into pool - a few questions. . .

Reaction score
Yes, I'm one of the dumbasses who managed to crash their P4's into a pool. I just upgraded the firmware and took it flying over the pool for the local swim team for some video. I was standing on a platform that was surrounded by a metal fence (perhaps that had something to do it as I kept getting bad signals and it would not let me take off from the platform) and the drone became unresponsive, flew into lane flags and crashed into the pool. It was in the pool about 1 minute before I removed it. I've taken most of it apart and have an industrial fan blowing on it (one of those big water damage fans for carpet or sheetrock water damage). At this time things seem pretty dry, but I want to keep the fan going for another day. I know it is most likely a lost cause (although it did power up - just beeped a lot) , but I want to do what I can - so two questions?

1) It is a chlorinated pool - should I rinse the thing off in Isopropyl Alcohol or distilled water and then dry again? If so, it is a true rinse or is it a soak? Are there parts I want to keep out of the rinse or soak or can all electrical go in - even the camera? What about the motors?

2) After it is all dry, is there any advantage to spraying it down with LPS1 lube?

Thanks

I would put in in rice for at least 3 days after the fan just to make sure there are no drops left because that's all it takes to short circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Malcolm Reynolds
Yes, I'm one of the dumbasses who managed to crash their P4's into a pool. I just upgraded the firmware and took it flying over the pool for the local swim team for some video. I was standing on a platform that was surrounded by a metal fence (perhaps that had something to do it as I kept getting bad signals and it would not let me take off from the platform) and the drone became unresponsive, flew into lane flags and crashed into the pool. It was in the pool about 1 minute before I removed it. I've taken most of it apart and have an industrial fan blowing on it (one of those big water damage fans for carpet or sheetrock water damage). At this time things seem pretty dry, but I want to keep the fan going for another day. I know it is most likely a lost cause (although it did power up - just beeped a lot) , but I want to do what I can - so two questions?

1) It is a chlorinated pool - should I rinse the thing off in Isopropyl Alcohol or distilled water and then dry again? If so, it is a true rinse or is it a soak? Are there parts I want to keep out of the rinse or soak or can all electrical go in - even the camera? What about the motors?

2) After it is all dry, is there any advantage to spraying it down with LPS1 lube?

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

I made a set of pontoons for mine, just in case.

I would rinse again to hopefully minimize the effects of Cl or Bromine and other dissolved solids. Distilled water then a quick rinse with the fast drying methanol-gas line antifreeze water absorbent. Can be found in automotive stores. Then a good means of blow drying and slow drying. Best of luck. Others have had luck rescuing from short dips

Reactions: DocStinky313
And don't fly near metal objects like fences. Hope everything's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does the metal interrupt the signal? Is that why I lost control before the crash?
...Doc, most likely it was the VPS getting confused on the surface of the water if flying ≤30ft.. if still avail i'd like to see
your DJIFlightRecord_*.txt file, if you don't mind that is.. you could post it here or email it to me at the following email
address:
vadata(at)yahoo(dot)com
Thanks
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
..BTW, i've flown directly over (within 10-20ft) a 80'x320' metal bldg with NO adverse effects to flight or ctrl, with both my Inspire1 & P4..

I would open it up and clean the boards with alcohol. I have saved numerous receivers and servos from my RC boats by doing this. What I have found is as the water dries mineral deposits dry on the board and short them out.

Reactions: Malcolm Reynolds
Man bunch up a bunch of silicon packets. Always can find them in shoe boxes!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

don't be this guy :eek: skip to 5:30

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers