Crashed in a city

Kind of ironic but at the same time the topic of not calling our drones/UAVs/UASs "toys" came up at about the same time on the 3DR forum I belong to, and I posted this there right after making my post here.
I don't mean to derail this thread, but I think we should recognize that even a "toy" can have a pretty important impact in our lives. This is what I posted there, and why I don't see calling my quadcopter a toy belittles it in any way:

A bit off topic, but a few years ago I was diagnosed with Cancer, Hodgkin's Lymphoma. As far as cancers go, this is an easy one to cure - but it is the cure that makes you wish you were dead.
They told me to take up a hobby to help with the stress of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. I'm not the type to sit at a desk and collect stamps, I needed something that took my mind off my predicament and that made me happy. I had flown RC planes years before, so I went out and bought an RC plane, then another, then I saw the Phantom 1 advertised. I bought one and was hooked. Every two weeks I had chemo, and in between there were about 5 days where I felt almost normal - I'd spend that time at the flying field flying fixed wings and the P1. Somedays I was so weak that I could barely hold the transmitter. As the chemo progressed I developed neuropathy in my thumbs and fingers and nearly lost all feeling (fully recovered now) in my finger tips. It made it very hard to fly a fixed wing, so the Phantom was all I flew for the last months of treatment.
Looking forward to flying was what got me through those last months of treatment.
That drone was my toy, and all the subsequent ones have filled the same roll.
Cancer has been gone for 3 years now, I'm fully recoverd, and drones will always be a special, sort of sanity saving toy in my mind. Flying was a form of therapy then, and it still serves as a great stress reliever.

Now back on topic.

@GoodnNuff,
Hey, glad you are still here, to tell the tale. ;-)

Thanks for sharing a personal life experience.

RedHotPoker

Toy posters, back on topic please. This guy wants to know why he wrecked his bird.

I agree that there are some pretty vindictive posts. Most of which are incorrect conclusions. You can fly in urban areas but you have to do it very cautiously. There are risks everywhere.

The cause of this incident is compass interference. Clearly and without question. Toilet bowl effect (TBE) as some of have rightly pointed out already which is the sudden and un-commanded circling motion caused by discrepancies between GPS course and magnetic heading. This is a great example of the dangers surrounding the compass. The flight starts on cobbles that likely have their own magnetic field and are the cause for the crash.

It is very important to notice that the P3 didn't detect the interference with the compass and allowed itself to fly. This is one of the challenges of the compass. It can't reliably detect interference. Sometimes strong interference can look perfectly normal.

So you have to be smart. You cannot calibrate or take off anywhere near a localized magnetic field. If you do find your P3 suddenly swirling like this, it's TBE and you need to switch to ATTI mode to regain control.

Actually a masochist would call them implements of torture, his/her toys.
A sadist would classify those as tools of the trade.
In our modern civilized society.

Do you like my forum handle? Hahaha
What about my self TREPANATION avatar? ;-)

RedHotPoker

FIFY

Trepanantion lets the EVIL out you know.

LOL

77 flights... Compass calibrated becoz new location.. Imu calibrated aftr firmware update.. Gps got weak signal aftr watching the flight rec... Went p opt n p atti mode simultaneos before crashing.

Download flight data, So plug the USB into the body of the aircraft. Hook up your controller to your device you fly with, just like you are going flying. Go to the Aircraft Settings Advanced Menu, Click on "Enter flight data mode" you bird will show up as a new drive. Copy the applicable files to your computer, I periodically copy them all.

At least there's a lesson here... If the p3 stars to act up... Immediately switch to atti mode and full throttle up. That could have saved the bird in this case..
atti mode and full throttle? Couldn't that cause that Vortex of Death spiral?

atti mode and full throttle? Couldn't that cause that Vortex of Death spiral?

What is that?

I'm sorry but does anyone know what that means?

If you are talking VRS than no, that is a phenomenon which can occur during rapid descent which would be near minimum throttle and makes no difference if it's Atti. or any other mode.
The P3s have modifications to reduce or eliminate that from happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantom13flyer
I am no expert, but just watching the vid..the guy went up then left over the roof and my theory is he lost signal due to no LOS and all the metal holding the concrete building together. Apart from the skeletal H girders...ever level of floor would have steel meshing to add strength between the lateral floor girders. As the bid started my first thought was.....mistake! Sad to see though, hope he gets it sorted soon.

[emoji106] enough said. I would not have even considered that flight

No. Just because you wouldn't consider it does not make it the wrong thing to do. Flying in urban areas is perfectly viable with the right precautions. The OP's mistake was to not understand and implement those precautions.

I am no expert, but just watching the vid..the guy went up then left over the roof and my theory is he lost signal due to no LOS and all the metal holding the concrete building together. Apart from the skeletal H girders...ever level of floor would have steel meshing to add strength between the lateral floor girders. As the bid started my first thought was.....mistake! Sad to see though, hope he gets it sorted soon.

No. Loss of signal would not result in the Phantom flying in a giant circle. It was TBE brought on by calibrating and taking off from a locally magnetized area.

I wont rehash all of the comments on what you should have done. I think that is abundantly clear at this point. I am curious about one thing however. At about the :08 or :09 point of your video, there is a guy walking by with a plastic bag. It looks like from the video that you launch just as that guy was at his closest to your Phantom. Very close in fact. Aside from that being very ill advised, did that guy stop to give you any feedback?

Reactions: JoBe
No. Just because you wouldn't consider it does not make it the wrong thing to do. Flying in urban areas is perfectly viable with the right precautions. The OP's mistake was to not understand and implement those precautions.

No. Loss of signal would not result in the Phantom flying in a giant circle. It was TBE brought on by calibrating and taking off from a locally magnetized area.

Ian you have to be joking right?? Flying in a city is ok? Look what happened here. Your on this forum enough to see that 90% of the crashes are due to interference.

Ian you have to be joking right?? Flying in a city is ok? Look what happened here. Your on this forum enough to see that 90% of the crashes are due to interference.

With the right precautions, flying in the city is perfectly fine. I'm not suggesting everyone do it. In fact, if you aren't prepared to invest the time in all the precautions, I would advise against it. I fly in the city all the time.

Ian - would you advise flying atti mode when around any building? I'm starting to do roof surveys, sometimes in between chimney stacks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4