Crashed drone into ocean help

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I crashed my drone into the ocean it was only in there for about 5 seconds. WHAT DO I DO. Will be prize if fixed thanks

Sorry to hear that buddy. Can you upload the flight log files on here from your tablet or phone that way we can see what happened in more detail

Well by now I'm sure the salt is drying. Are you willing to take it apart? Go from there. Sorry to hear thay.

Here????

Attachments

• 7E60FFD0-5482-493B-BB99-FD8F2B59521F.jpeg
    7E60FFD0-5482-493B-BB99-FD8F2B59521F.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 516
Sorry to hear that buddy. Can you upload the flight log files on here from your tablet or phone that way we can see what happened in more detail
I just

Attachments

• ACA3637E-78D1-4B3C-8939-4B1CD90B160B.jpeg
    ACA3637E-78D1-4B3C-8939-4B1CD90B160B.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 429
Because it crashed into salt water, you'll need to properly flush it out to remove salt residue to reduce corrosion. If you search this site you should find plenty of threads with information about restoration after salt water crashes. Good luck.

Search on cleaning salt water, and do it NOW. The longer you wait, the more likely that is going to be destroyed.

What we rely need is the flight log text also known as a DAT. file or even a CSV file. You can find these on your phone in the DJI folders (assuming you have android) upload that and we can then see what is happening
1523878548350.jpg

It will look like this.... Upload the latest one (usually the one at the top) once that's on here we can then investigate what happened
1523878619456.png

If it was in there for only 5 seconds it does have a chance, open it up and clean it and get rid of the salt water, but the battery may be gone

Battery Def dead by now and the salt would have caused bad damage. If the tide hasn't claimed it then I am hoping the owner will get it back, even if it's just to put on the shelf as a trophy so to speak.

If it was in there for only 5 seconds it does have a chance, open it up and clean it and get rid of the salt water, but the battery may be gone

The battery is gone. The rest may be salvageable. As has been said, get it hosed down in fresh water - fast. If it was just briefly soaked I would probably not *soak*it in water, just hose it. First in tap water, then deionized or distilled.

Then let it dry. People talk about putting it in a giant bag of rice (Pro tip - do not show this to your wife) or a warm, dry room. And leave it there - for weeks. I recently recovered a P3 after it spent much of the winter in a snowbank. Two of the motors were rusted, the rest of the thing works fine. This, of course, is a slightly different case - it wasn't immersed, just dripped - and it was mostly fresh water.

Long story short - you can likely salvage the frame, motors and electronics. The camera and gimbal are a maybe. The battery is toast.

Been there, done that although every time I've dropped mine in the ocean they've sank to the bottom in an impressively rapid fashion. I do have a pair of rod buddies on my open water Phantom (water activated floats that will hopefully allow me to retrieve the thing). I'm sure I will find out if these help at some point.....

Rice is not the best option to help dry electronics, quite the contrary. Not only it doesn't absorb that much humidity (and a sealed bag would not allow any humidity to escape), rice flour (e.g. dust from the rice) can get gummy and cause problems, and so can random rice grains in the wrong places. In case you don't believe me, here's from one of the best websites dealing with device repairs Don't Put Your Device in Rice. Here's Why...

Use isopropyl alcohol or, if you really want to get rid of humidity, use sealed bags of silica (cheap to buy, can be renewed endlessly in a low temperature oven)

Reactions: Neon Euc and andy_k
Use isopropyl alcohol or, if you really want to get rid of humidity, use sealed bags of silica (cheap to buy, can be renewed endlessly in a low temperature oven)

I had several large bags of desiccant (silica gel) that were set aside from assembling some furniture. I stuffed them in the battery compartment after my Phantom took a brief swim in a lake lay summer. That, and sitting next to dehumidifier for a week, salvaged my bird. Unfortunately, the battery didn't fare as well.

I've been trying to recover a Phantom One after it was dipped "very quickly in fresh water. The owner told me everything was running perfectly so like a mug I bought it. By the time I got hold of it, 2 motors wouldn't spin and 2 ESCs needed replacing. Obviously there was no way it ran at all after being dunked.

Although the remainder of of the electronics was OK, every plug and socket were showing that greenish colour copper gets when it's tarnished. I've tried everything to clean it off, but a few days later it's back. The pins in the flight controller were very badly pitted, clearly the ex owner forgot to clean off and dry any of the connectors.

The worse hit was the GPS plug, the small white one. It's impossible to clean internally. As a last resort I doused it in Surgical alcohol and let it sit in a small container of it for a couple of days. I pulled it out and hit it with compressed air, plugged it in and gave it a dose of Conformal spray. At least no air will get at it again.

Everything's working apart from the two ESCs and motors, whether or not the GPS is working I won't bother with until I find replacements, which hopefully are on their way from Canada. It's currently lounging in the bottom of a cupboard with a container of Silica Gel, which doesn't appear to be absorbing anything, thankfully. It can stay there until those parts arrive. By the way, I tried to contact the ex owner, strangely he's refusing to talk. It's definitely the last time I use Bank Transfer and my dream of owning a DJI Phantom is just about over. OK, I know, it's only a P1, but when that's all you can afford it's good enough, or at least it was supposed to be. Good luck with yours Tom.

DJI will repair a water damaged drone but WILL NOT provide any warranty for repaired water damage. Given the price of the repair and shipping, in my case, I felt buying a new drone was faster and cheaper. In my case, that also meant getting a newer drone with obstacle avoidance as well as learning some new "don't do's" regarding flying practices.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl