Crash Resulted in Cracked Camera Glass - Need Advice

Reaction score
Hi all, clipped a tree landed hard and ended up cracking the glass on my advanced camera.

Everything still works, video now is obviously not as clear. Appears to have sun spots. Isn't as bad as it could be.

Looking for advice on what to do... Obviously a repair is in order. Should I try to buy someone else's part from their wreck, send back to dji, get repaired at authorized repair shop...? Pull the broken glass pieces off and expose the the lens. Fly like it is and
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1433712632.044334.jpg
repeat oh well all the time.

It almost appears that the glass piece is removable as a ring- can anyone confirm this?

I kind of doubt parts are even available at this point.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark.

You can buy a new one from DJI here.

In the meantime, you could just unscrew it and fly without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
Hi all, clipped a tree landed hard and ended up cracking the glass on my advanced camera.

Everything still works, video now is obviously not as clear. Appears to have sun spots. Isn't as bad as it could be.

Looking for advice on what to do... Obviously a repair is in order. Should I try to buy someone else's part from their wreck, send back to dji, get repaired at authorized repair shop...? Pull the broken glass pieces off and expose the the lens. Fly like it is andView attachment 21365 repeat oh well all the time.

It almost appears that the glass piece is removable as a ring- can anyone confirm this?

I kind of doubt parts are even available at this point.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark.
If I can find my at the bottom of the lake next weekend I will have a spare part for you.

Thank you. It doesn't want to unscrew very easily. So happy to know I can buy a new one.

Has anyone had luck unscrewing their's?

dalebb- My broken lens is far less of a problem than yours at the bottom of the lake. [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Mark

Grip by the very front edge and twist off. Some people have had luck using a rubberband for grip

Reactions: skyhighdiver
It will screw off. Does anyone know is it a special type of glass as in magnification or could it be replaced and recut in a glass shop?

It will screw off. Does anyone know is it a special type of glass as in magnification or could it be replaced and recut in a glass shop?

I'm just a noob flyer but have been doing photography for a long time. I believe the front glass is a UV filter and I would say not totally needed in digital photography. A lot of photographers use them for lens protection which would be important for aerial photography IMO. I would say a high quality or optical quality glass should be fine.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
I'm just a noob flyer but have been doing photography for a long time. I believe the front glass is a UV filter and I would say not totally needed in digital photography. A lot of photographers use them for lens protection which would be important for aerial photography IMO. I would say a high quality or optical quality glass should be fine.
That was the sort of answer I was hoping for, and thanks. My first idea would be (McGyvor) going to my local window glazer or mirror shop, bringing a shard of the front glass with me so the could measure the depth of it and cutting a circular piece of similar depth glass in a circle using the unscrewed cap as a measurement. Can't see them charging more than 20 quid? Would be worth a shot in my eyes. Maybe consult a camera shop for advice on the glass first?

That was the sort of answer I was hoping for, and thanks. My first idea would be (McGyvor) going to my local window glazer or mirror shop, bringing a shard of the front glass with me so the could measure the depth of it and cutting a circular piece of similar depth glass in a circle using the unscrewed cap as a measurement. Can't see them charging more than 20 quid? Would be worth a shot in my eyes. Maybe consult a camera shop for advice on the glass first?

You might try getting a UV filter at some place like Best Buy ( if you have them where you are) or Amazon. Just get it well oversized and maybe they could cut that for you. I would think the thickness should be similar. Don't scrimp too much as the filter can affect image quality if the glass is not good. Also some photographic UV filters are a high grade plastic that you might be able to work with more easily.

I was looking at this sample pack, unavailable from rosco, b&h and Amazon but I found one or 2 places online that have them and they seem to be the perfect size being capable of making 2 filters from each sample and they are on sale for $1.50

Remember about the rubber gasket, you need that seal... so take care when removing,

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Thanks all for your help. I was able to remove the damaged lens cover. I ordered the Polar Pro filter kit. Comes with 3 different filters. Wasn't really looking to mess with the photography side of things, as this is just a flying hobby for me, but looks like I'm jumping in full force.

I figure dji's replacement is $49 and the 3 filter kit was $69. Maybe I'll become the next Ariel Ansel Adams. [emoji16]

Thank you all for keeping me informed and knowledgeable [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Mark.

Guys it's "MacGyver" .....not McGiver etc....
btw I'm just breaking your balls ;)
But lets stop "MacGyver(ing) the name.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31