Could really use some help with my P1 - v1.1.1

Reaction score
I could really use someone's help on what I think might be an issue (I'm not sure).

My P1 is brand new. Never has been flown yet.

I have been through the Assistant pretty much a dozen times. I performed an IMU calibration (advanced and basic) and I "believe I have everything set up properly....but here's the presumed issue.....

Let's say I have the P1 on the ground after compass calibration and getting all the proper GPS locks and ready lights etc.

Now I start the motors with a CSC command...motors start normally and go to idle and will remain there AS LONG as I do not raise the throttle from idle.

Now, let's say I RAISE the throttle to about 75% briefly (1 second) then lower it back to the center position.
What happens next is baffling.....(assume I let he throttle go to center and don't touch it)

Gradually, the P1 begins to increase the throttle all by itself. It takes a few seconds but then it slowly goes quite high if unchecked. Perhaps full throttle. It just keeps increasing? I can lower the throttle manually but it will just insist on going back to high throttle as soon as I let go of the throttle stick and allow it to center. And I can shut the motors off by pushing the stick ALL the way down into the lock detent at the lowest position....but I'm not sure it should be increasing the throttle all by itself this way.

I'm wondering if it will just go into a climb and try to climb out of sight until the battery runs out if I try to fly it.

One other forum member has mentioned that I re-check the GAIN settings. I assume he meant the THROTTLE gain settings? Would that cause the behavior I described?

Or...Is the P1 initiating a landing procedure? (Read that in the manual).

I just am at a loss to figure out WHY this thing is doing this and I'm not going to take it for it's maiden flight without FULLY understanding why it is doing this and whether or not it's normal or abnormal.

Should I re- calibrate the TRANSMITTER? (everything seems to respond properly)

I would REALLY appreciate some advice here as it's sitting...never flown...waiting on resolution to this issue.

Thanks for your help !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JKDSensei
Mr Sensel when you push the throttle up and the quad lifts off the you go to the neutral position the quad should immediately hover at that location. If it continues to climb. Land and do not take off again until you correct the issue. Calibrate the Remote Control,sticks. Then test it again. The quad should only do what you tell it to do through the Controller. With both stick in the center neutral position the quad should just sit there and hover.

Thanks guys!
You pointed me in the direction I needed to understand this issue.

Here's a link to a thread from people with the EXACT same issue.
(I searched this forum high and low over the last few weeks and never found this thread)

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/pv2-behavior.4637/

Seems the only (and correct) way to deal with this is the use the left stick to immediately shut down the motors upon landing. Never leave it idling.

I would assume (uh oh) that ALL people with P1's and P2's have to do this?

Ok, I consider this resolved and it's time for the maiden flight.

Im glad u got ur issue possibly solved. My 1.1.1 has been great so far i always check it with the naza software and go through it making sure everything looks good.

JKD, you have a similar thread elsewhere on this.

This is not a calibration issue.

There is a well know 'issue' of what you describe. As you can see it dates back to 2013.
Some think it's a bug but I disagree.
Flight Controllers control flight, once you have started motors and increased throttle above 10%... It's ON!

Remember the system is a closed loop with sensors for inputs and motors for outputs. As it sits on the ground [after the >10% input] it thinks it's flying.
Sensors drift and it tries to correct 'flight' position/attitude/etc. in response to this. Eventually it will tip over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers