Cooling down a battery before recharging

Reaction score
Are there any tips for safely cooling down a battery before charging it back up? I have two batteries and plan flying more than what would available on two full charges. I don't want to damage the batteries by charging them while they are still warm. Are there any tips for cooling them down faster without damaging them? I was thinking I would just put them in a cool that had one of the little frozen packets. I don't want to freeze them, have them be in 50 to 60 degree air instead of 70-80.

They won't charge anyway, if they are too warm. The charger and control won't let them. Yes, a few minutes in a cooler would be just fine I would think. Just not too cold. They don't like the cold either..:)

They won't charge if they are to hot, have you every seen the indicator when they are to hot.
I have powered them on not even in the phantom, they had been in the car, they indicated it was to hot.

Rod

I think I would use a small cooler like you said with an ice pack, the battery would never get to a freezing point, I have never had my beer freeze in a cooler. :)

Rod

Just be careful of moisture and condensation.

Reactions: RodPad
Hum, good point, Dry Ice :D

Rod

Then you would have to wait for it to cool. it would melt the bag.
Or you would have to use freezer bags, doesn't that help with freezer burns?

So have you seen the battery when its to hot?

I have four, and when I'm trying Litchi experiments from my house, I actually get behind because I start each with fully charged. Seems like it takes about 15-20 mins for it to cool down. I flew a 11 min flight 85 F last night I wanted to put it on the charger, didn't feel that hot, soon as tapped the power button it indicated to hot.

I have a refer in my garage, stuck in the freezer section for about 5 mins, freezer of coarse being around 0-10 F. Stuck on the charger went and ate dinner. :)

Refer seems smarter, but whole lot more moisture.

We work on home appliances and run charts on refers to check them.

Freezers run about -5 to 5 F.
Refer section about 34 to 42 F.
You usually want average of 0 F, 38 F.

Rod

One thing that works really good is a battery fan that we use to charge our rc car lipos. It cools them fast and without the condinsation issue. I could post a picture of one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic