Controller Won't Charge

it does not have anything to do with the Go app as the controller will run and even connect to the P4 without the Go app running. The battery error happens when connected and not connected to the app.

I've done some searching and it seems like this is a _very_ common problem. My only issue is that my warranty was up 10 days ago. I think I'll need to call DJI on Monday and see about sending it in. While I think this really looks like a manufactures defect, I don't see them addressing the issue without charging me something.

I replaced mine with a 5000mah 2s battery (Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack w/XT-90).

I had my inspire 1 GL658C act up, it is in face the balance board going out. I left the balance port in place that way i can check the cells every so charges to ensure they are in fact staying balanced.

May be other issues for some users, but that fix seems to have taken care of it so far. My controller went completely dead, would be all lights once connected to the charger.

From a lipo standpoint, you will almost never throw them out of balance slow charging and discharging. But i guess DJI wants to ensure they have their checks in play, or it may have been an add on from the battery manufacturer to add in the balance circuit.

OK I've done a little checking and this is my take......
So it was flashing and beeping on last led...took it apart to measure battery voltage....8.32volts
Plugged in the charger and it went up to 8.4 and beeping stopped and flashed 1(first) led. Went for 5mins then stopped charging (as usual) and then volts dropped back to 8.33.
Conclusion ......battery fully charged rc not reporting correct charge.
Taped up the speaker ...flew for 30mins......battery NOT flat!!

Started up rc the next day to show it had 2 LEDs ...wtf
So I suspect it is not showing correct voltage but is a little intermittent with the error

If you suspect a similar I would try and cycle your rc battery by flattening it out and a recharge.

OK I've done a little checking and this is my take......
So it was flashing and beeping on last led...took it apart to measure battery voltage....8.32volts
Plugged in the charger and it went up to 8.4 and beeping stopped and flashed 1(first) led. Went for 5mins then stopped charging (as usual) and then volts dropped back to 8.33.
Conclusion ......battery fully charged rc not reporting correct charge.
Taped up the speaker ...flew for 30mins......battery NOT flat!!

Started up rc the next day to show it had 2 LEDs ...wtf
So I suspect it is not showing correct voltage but is a little intermittent with the error

If you suspect a similar I would try and cycle your rc battery by flattening it out and a recharge.
It is a known battery issue, the battery has a built in "regulator" board.

You have 1 of 2 options.
1. Remove that board and just connect lipos directly to the controller board

2. Remove lipo pack and add a brand new replacement equivalent 2s capacity lipo pack with similar mah values. I went with this option as it is safer and easier to monitor.

I kept the balance plugs on the back of my controller and after 10-15 flights I checked the battery pack with a standalone balance reader on the balance port. Both cells showed identical voltages showing the battery pack is being maintained at a healthy rate.

This controller has been going strong for a few months now on my inspire1, so its a successful fix in my opinion.

Thanks Linuxglobal but I went with option 3 and it fixed it . I was so impressed with this process it deserves a mention here as it addresses the issue that I have had. (not a battery problem)
I now enjoy the RC is back to normal and I spent less than the postage back to warranty repair just to asses if it was a warranty issue (over a year old now)

Here is the link if you have my symptoms
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is a known battery issue, the battery has a built in "regulator" board.

You have 1 of 2 options.
1. Remove that board and just connect lipos directly to the controller board

2. Remove lipo pack and add a brand new replacement equivalent 2s capacity lipo pack with similar mah values. I went with this option as it is safer and easier to monitor.

I kept the balance plugs on the back of my controller and after 10-15 flights I checked the battery pack with a standalone balance reader on the balance port. Both cells showed identical voltages showing the battery pack is being maintained at a healthy rate.

This controller has been going strong for a few months now on my inspire1, so its a successful fix in my opinion.

Where would one find said Lipo pack?

There is plenty on line but just look for 7.4 volt battery with roughly same dimensions. Be sure its the battery that is the problem first before you go through all the conversion. Although the "reflowing" process as above is a little more tedious it repaired the rc back to "standard" instead of a work around by battery conversion. Check ur battery voltage first with a known good meter. That said here's a link for a battery I was thinking of using.

Look at this on eBay 7.4V 5200mAh 30C LiPo RC Battery for RC Evader BX Car Truck Truggy Hobby Drone | eBay

So when the RC is on charge do all 4 lights flash in sequence to the right ? Or do they slowly increase in flash like 1 led flash then the 2nd and 3rd etc then they are all going as the battery is "full"?.

Do all lights flash in sequence if the battery is low/flat or just far left?

Have not used my P4 in awhile so a few days ago I charged up some batteries and turned everything on. Controller needed an update so this was done. AC needed a firmware update so this was attempted but failed. During this process it appeared that the controller charge went low. So I connected the controller to the charger.

When I plugged the controller in, one white light on the left lit up and flashed. About 2 seconds later that white continued to flash, the red light started to flash and the controller started to beep very fast. I left the controller plugged in over night but the same thing happened the next day. I tried many times to go into the app, turn the controller off and on and combinations of things while charging. Nothing changed. I tested the battery in the controller and both "sides" are 18.4 volts. So the battery shows fully charged. The controller seems to confirm it's plugged into the charger as when I do this, it starts to flash one light.

Here is a video:

I've reset the controller and relinked it to the P4. It connects just fine but there is an error that the controller battery is low. The aircraft battery shows 4 lights, was fully charged and I don't see that it's low. The controller battery is showing low. I go into the app and the controller battery showed 0%. I left it on the charged all day and also kept plugging it in and unplugging it about 50 times. Later when I brought up the app it showed 5% and a few seconds later showed 1%.

I _think_ either the controller battery is bad or it's fully charged and the controlled is not reading it correctly.

Some additional information:

Some times when I plug the charger in the lights flash and tick up from left to right as it normally does when it's charging. But then they just all turn off (as they do in the video). Now when I plug it in, the left white light flashes but there is no red light and the controlled does not beep. This is another reason why I think the battery is fully charged but the controlled does not acknowledge this.

Any ideas?
Hi, my controller would not charge, as when connected to the charger, only the first level light illuminates. I found a YouTube link which shows 'refloating' the circuit board around the battery connection and charging point. This worked and now my controller charges and operates the P4 fine. The refloating requires dismantling of the controller but this is carefully showed in the you tube skip. See fixed - DO I Phantom 4 pro remote control battery charge issue. This video also shows how rto easily get to your battery to re
,ace if necessary.

Hi, my controller would not charge, as when connected to the charger, only the first level light illuminates. I found a YouTube link which shows 'refloating' the circuit board around the battery connection and charging point. This worked and now my controller charges and operates the P4 fine. The refloating requires dismantling of the controller but this is carefully showed in the you tube skip. See fixed - DO I Phantom 4 pro remote control battery charge issue. This video also shows how rto easily get to your battery to re
,ace if necessary.
can you take a better picture of which part you re-flowed ?? the video I found way back was in spanish and not very clear.

Maybe we can finally resolve this ongoing issue lol

can you take a better picture of which part you re-flowed ?? the video I found way back was in spanish and not very clear.

The link below goes to the youtube video fixing the problem.. Some have said that just disconnecting the battery fixes also, as the procedure also does this perhaps its that simple. The video clearly shows the areas to be reflowed.

I dont know if you fixed it yet but you need to reflow the IC (8 Legged black box) next to the fourth led light. Just to the right of the leds. This is the regulator. Should be working okay after that.

Reactions: Linuxglobal
I dont know if you fixed it yet but you need to reflow the IC (8 Legged black box) next to the fourth led light. Just to the right of the leds. This is the regulator. Should be working okay after that.

Ive been busy over the cold months but I will certainly give it a try, I have 2 controllers with this issue now that were replaced and are just sitting around now.

Ill take pics of the 8 leg IC next to the 4th led, if it works, I owe you several free coffees my friend :)

Also, some posts above asked which batteries can be used, I got mine from hobbyking, 5000 mah 2s lipo with slow discharge work well. I usually get them in single cell as I need them to be smaller in size and high MAH.
Turnigy 5000mAh 1S 20C Lipoly (Single Cell)

I have come acorss the following dead cotroller cases:
1. bad battery (wont charge, shows low voltage) - may be the balance board? Solution = new battery from hobbyking or equiv, issue solved.

2. Bad balance board ONLY, remove balance board from battery, resolder leads DIRECTLY to original battery if its not swollen etc. Should start charging and no issues, tape up leads with electrical tape.

3. Bad board, swapped a few good tested batteries, sometimes get 3 leds, other times 1 and flashing red beeping, no solution for this one yet. Will try reflow IC 8 leg near led.

Regards,
-C

Ive been busy over the cold months but I will certainly give it a try, I have 2 controllers with this issue now that were replaced and are just sitting around now.

Ill take pics of the 8 leg IC next to the 4th led, if it works, I owe you several free coffees my friend :)

Also, some posts above asked which batteries can be used, I got mine from hobbyking, 5000 mah 2s lipo with slow discharge work well. I usually get them in single cell as I need them to be smaller in size and high MAH.
Turnigy 5000mAh 1S 20C Lipoly (Single Cell)

I have come acorss the following dead cotroller cases:
1. bad battery (wont charge, shows low voltage) - may be the balance board? Solution = new battery from hobbyking or equiv, issue solved.

2. Bad balance board ONLY, remove balance board from battery, resolder leads DIRECTLY to original battery if its not swollen etc. Should start charging and no issues, tape up leads with electrical tape.

3. Bad board, swapped a few good tested batteries, sometimes get 3 leds, other times 1 and flashing red beeping, no solution for this one yet. Will try reflow IC 8 leg near led.

Regards,
-C
Sorry i don't have the picture. But its really easy. Its the right to the last led light, the 4th one. Its a little black chip. With eight legs. Cant miss it. If your controller has been idle for long time and its suffering with charging, its definitely the cold solder issue. A reflow should work like a charm. You can take. It apart yourself and reflow it or just bring it to the shop. Dont worry its a high quality remote. Even the ribbons are strong. You wont damage anything. I did it myself and take it to a repair mobile shop to repair. About 25seconds. Voila. Booom all 4 lights on. And go app is showing 100 percent. DJI won't fix his problem and will just send you a new remote whereas its just a 10 dollar fix at a nearby shop. Hope it fixes your remote. Cheers. Let me know.
Greetings from Mauritius. [emoji1164]

For easy disassembly.

I'm on my 5th reflow of the 8 legged gas gauge voltage regulator chip.....the one next to the last led. The last reflow I had the heat gun at 375 degrees c and held it on that little sucker for a count of 20.
As I have been finding that the problem seems to return after the rc has been sitting for a few weeks got to thinking its constant voltage present all the time eroding or corroding the voltage reader chip so after some deliberation fitted a switch to the positive battery wire to the rc. See pics for this experiment. Just a small toggle switch and a simple figment to the back of the RC between the output board and battery. I turn this off when not in use so no power to the RC. Its a RISC that it could be switched off in flight but the location of the toggle switch is reasonably protected by the bulge in the battery compartment and the output module on the back of the rc.

A small slider switch would have been better but hard to cut a square hole. The plastic body of the rc was thicker than I thought ....well made.

Working well so far.
Hope this helps ones that are having to do multiple reflows and G'day from Australia

Attachments

• 20190318_114852.jpg
    20190318_114852.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 251
  • 20190318_114801.jpg
    20190318_114801.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads