Controller update problem

Buk

Reaction score
I have a first version Phantom 2 for which I just purchased an iPad Ground Station. I've been quite happily running at 3.04 or 3.06 firmware, or whatever low number it was, but decided to upgrade everything to 3.12 to perhaps cure battery problems and get ready to run iPad GS.

However, while I haven't flown yet to verify it yet, I saw nothing happen to the batteries during updating and more importantly, I have lost function of S1 on the controller. It appears to be stuck in Atti position when viewed both by Assistants and GS software.

The controller no longer has a red power on LED,but rather green. The controller now beeps three times when turned on and no amount of calibration with either Assistants software returns S1 to a functional state. And yes, I'm sure it's programmed as basic controller not the updated controller.

I don't feel it's a hardware failure, anyone have any advice? Thanks.

If you are inside the house the top two positions of the S1 will be in Atti and the bottom of S1 should say failsafe that is if you setup in the P2 assistant under the RC tab.

Perhaps I'm not clear. I flew just fine one day, switch S1 worked fine, the next day I updated and S1 does not work. The LEDs on the copter indicate it is in ATTI mode no matter the position of the switch. When connected to a computer with either of the Assistants (RC or P2) the switch does not register as working. Indoors or outdoors would have no bearing on the position or the function of the switch.

I've had an S1 switch fail on my Phantom 1 and I could jiggle it and flip it from one position to another and it would randomly work and change the Phantom LEDs and when connected to the software work, sometimes.

This (appears) to be a software/firmware issue as the failure of the switch correlates to other software/firmware changes in the controller. (Red LED now green, No beeps now three)

Thanks for your interest.

If you had to open your transmitter to plug the usb cable in and if this happened right after the update maybe try opening it back up and make sure that all the plugs for all wires are in there sockets all the way. and that none of the wires that go to the switch are broken or pinched.

On the Phantom 1, the S1 switch failed intermittently and when I opened the case and measured resistance it was clear one set of contacts was failing in the GPS position.

On the Phantom 2, this problem arose with the S1 switch the moment i upgraded. The USB port is on the outside of the controller, so I did not open the case. The S2 switch registers correctly, the gimbal lever calibrates fine and the sticks calibrate fine.

I'll open the case and test continuity of S1 and report back.

Try reloading v3.6 as it's still available on DJI's download site.

For what it's worth, the S1 or S2 switches in the middle position is basically in the "fail to state"...It being OFF. Sounds like a failure of the switch or it's connection to the controller board or somewhere in-between.

Continuity tests show the S1 switch is functioning. The Phantom 2 non-vision controller appears to have been erroneously reprogrammed to be a Phantom 2 Vision controller and the S1 switch is no longer recognized. At some point in my efforts to upgrade controller, Phantom2, BTU, and Data-link of Ground Station, I've fouled up the controller.

Buk said:
Continuity tests show the S1 switch is functioning. The Phantom 2 non-vision controller appears to have been erroneously reprogrammed to be a Phantom 2 Vision controller and the S1 switch is no longer recognized. At some point in my efforts to upgrade controller, Phantom2, BTU, and Data-link of Ground Station, I've fouled up the controller.

I'm right again, somewhere in-between is the source of the problem... ;)

That's strange for it not to recognize the S1 switch, in any Phantom 2 configuration. Anyway, glad you found the problem to your troubles.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl