Controller charging problems

Reaction score
Posted in Phantom 4 discussion. If I am double posting I am sorry. I would just ask if anyone else is having trouble when charging their controller. or is it just the Phantom 4.

I think I got it fixed. I took the board out and did the heat thing. I used a hair dryer type blower with tin foil wrapped around the end to make a small hole so I could direct the heat better. I used my infrared heat gun to watch how hot I was heating the board. When I took it apart apart I had two strong blue lights and one weak one. After I took it apart I had one light. I started heating it slowly. First couple of times I heated it to 130 degrees around the plug. I got to where I had three lights. I finally heated it to about 190 degrees and let it cool. Tried it again and now I have all four lights. Now I hope I can get it back together. I am going to have to buy me a good pair of tweezers. Hope it works after I get it back together.

Reactions: Oso and Capt KO
At least the remotes for the P4 are pretty cheap now. Regularly in the $100+ range. And batteries for around $60. Just in case.

You have a phantom 4? It's a widely known problem
I feel like the wife...always the last to know. I have a P4 and a controller charging problem is news to me. What exactly is the problem to look for? Does it appear to charge but doesn't or doesn't appear to charge but does?

Mine would never show all four lights blinking while charging or charge up to 100% or so. I Thought it was the battery and put a new one in. did the same thing after the new battery. I think I fixed it. To anyone else does their battery show 100% after you charge it on the controller.
100.00 isn't to bad for a controller. Is this used or a new one. Bad thing about a used one is it might do the same thing I guess.

I haven't seen a used controller for $100, and I agree that you could wind up with the same problem. I've reflowed my RC a number of times to get 4 lights charging and 100% on GO4. After some use it reverts back and settles between 65% & 75%, which means nothing because I can only get in 4 flights before I need to recharge the RC. For most jobs I do that's enough flight time. From what I've read it's a bad regulator chip on the main board. Thinking about sending it back to DJI, but I'm concerned they'll send me a refurbished one with updated firmware. Then I assume I'll have to update my P4p which I'm reluctant to do. I know others have had no issue updating, but I have read about issues.

Yes that is cheap for a controller. Don't know what a new one cost. No more than I fly hopefully it will be ok for a while. I did update mine a while ago but I am leary of it. It worked ok but I don't like to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic