Controller and Drone Sd cards

Reaction score
Checking on how the two cards work in the application? What the best way to get your pics/videos to pc or text them from my CS display..
Thank you

Hello,

Pictures and video are recorded only to the SD card in the drone. A low-res version can be streamed to your phone/tablet if you enable that setting, but still not to the controller. Really the only use for the SD card in the controller is if you want to use it to update the firmware.

Reactions: Oso
@PhantomFandom

Is it better to buy a HDMI to Micro usb Verse the USB to Micro Usb?

I just bought 3 cards - see below- Saw some good suggestions to change card every time you change your battery .
I looked up the specs on the SD card , Hope I did ok..
Thank you

• 61zZJtQgzYL._SX679_.jpg

SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC Memory Card Plus SD Adapter up to 100 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30, A1 - 64 GB

@PhantomFandom

Is it better to buy a HDMI to Micro usb Verse the USB to Micro Usb?

I just bought 3 cards - see below- Saw some good suggestions to change card every time you change your battery .
I looked up the specs on the SD card , Hope I did ok..
Thank you

• 61zZJtQgzYL._SX679_.jpg

SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC Memory Card Plus SD Adapter up to 100 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30, A1 - 64 GB

I don't understand what you're asking in your first question regarding HDMI.
Yes that card should work fine. I use Samsung Evo Select in my drones and tablets without any issues.

As you know the cable that came with the drone is USB-( On Controller) to Micro usd ( On Drone )
I was wondering if using the HDMI port on the controller to Micro usb on drone is more is better when connected on data exchange ?
Greatly appreciated...

As you know the cable that came with the drone is USB-( On Controller) to Micro usd ( On Drone )
I was wondering if using the HDMI port on the controller to Micro usb on drone is more is better when connected on data exchange ?
Greatly appreciated...

No it isn't. USB to Micro USB is a data connection. You transfer files and data over that cable. HDMI is a video and sound cable, and is not used to transfer data.

Besides, why are you connecting the controller to the drone? If you want to get your data (picture and video files) off of the drone, the best ways to do it are either connecting the drone to your computer/phone/tablet or take out the SD card and transfer the data off of it directly onto a computer. I use that method as I find it the easiest without needing to power up my drone or need cables. I take out the SD card and slip it directly into a slot in my tablet, or insert it into a SD card USB device and put that in my desktop PC.

Reactions: The Flyer
Correct I meant Micro usb I wrote Micro usd..lol - I was wondering if you used the HDMI, I agree on pulling the sd card to PC.
When I activated the drone for this first time the prompt had me connect the controller to drone for a update..
I run windows - Which setting do you use for video format ? Mov or Mp4
Thank you

Regarding SD cards, I had a strange situation with my V 2.0. It suddenly lost gimbal control and video. Nothing related to the camera or gimbal worked. Data showed no video signal and some sort of gimbal error or disconnect. I worked for two hours trying to solve the problem. I then tried another SD card and worked 100%! I then removed card and still had full control though I got the usual warning of no video card inserted. I checked bad card in computer and it checked good as it still had last three flight videos on it. I reformatted it and it then worked again. So based on this it appears that the gimbal control signals go through the SD card along with the video.

I posted this problem here but so far no one has had this problem nor any idea about the card controlling the camera or gimbal. Here’s hoping someone knows.

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: White Shadow
I don't understand what you're asking in your first question regarding HDMI.
Yes that card should work fine. I use Samsung Evo Select in my drones and tablets without any issues.
I use an apple lightning cord for my as and transfer to my phone in the field

Reactions: White Shadow
Regarding SD cards, I had a strange situation with my V 2.0. It suddenly lost gimbal control and video. Nothing related to the camera or gimbal worked. Data showed no video signal and some sort of gimbal error or disconnect. I worked for two hours trying to solve the problem. I then tried another SD card and worked 100%! I then removed card and still had full control though I got the usual warning of no video card inserted. I checked bad card in computer and it checked good as it still had last three flight videos on it. I reformatted it and it then worked again. So based on this it appears that the gimbal control signals go through the SD card along with the video.

I posted this problem here but so far no one has had this problem nor any idea about the card controlling the camera or gimbal. Here’s hoping someone knows.

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF
Same thing happened to me. I did exactly as you did except I recalibrated the gimbal. (Not sure I needed to do that) as a different sd card worked fine in it. I formatted the card that was causing the same problems you had and it worked also. Hmmm.

Technically speaking, the gimble and camera control would not use or go thru the SD card. HOWEVER, as in Windows OS, if there is a problem with a com port, it will hang forever and nothing will function. I suspect that might be the issue here. The system gets hung up on trying to do something on the SD card - like verify it - and nothing associated with the camera will function. Formatting the card removed that anomoly and let the system run thru the verification so everything worked. IMHO.

ruggb, thanks for that info. Makes sense too! I didn't really think all that control commands were dependent on the SD card but based on what I tried, that was all I could come up with. I was not using Windows though, instead flying with an iPad and IOS. It is an older model unit and Litchi but neither would it work with DJI GO 4. I only used GO 4 to test, not ever would I fly with it again. So, do you think the same com port issue would apply to an Apple system?

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

the windows com port is an example of why it stopped working. It has nothing to do with the problem. The OS in the AC appears to check the SD card and hung up because it found a problem and couldn't resolve it. It should have timed out and issued a message. DJI are you listening? IOS or android has no bearing

Riggs I still don’t understand. Does a Windows com port come into play even though Windows is not used on iPhones or iPads?

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Riggs I still don’t understand. Does a Windows com port come into play even though Windows is not used on iPhones or iPads?

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF
I’m assuming by Riggs you were referring to Ruggb. I’m pretty certain he mentioned Windows purely as an example of how COM port errors can hang the whole system. I have encountered this many times with Windows, especially in the olden days with sensitive and precocious 56K modems, back then hardware compatibility was a critical and massive element in system stability, even though the likes of Microsoft tried desperately to market their PnP otherwise. More recently I have noticed similar problems when a hard drive is beginning to fail, or a mouse is playing silly buggers.
At least I took it as purely an example.

The same COM port interference would apply on any device, regardless of opsys. Ideally good opsys coding would minimise occurrences hence I see far far fewer system hangs on iOS vs Windows (I don’t use Andriod or others so can’t comment on those).

COM port issues are often hardware triggered and therefore seem to eat right into the sub-code opsys level, and tend to be terminal. That’s where you’ll see BSOD and need system reboots.

NO, the ref to windows was just an example. IE, windows does similar things when it is trying to verify components.
Why they don't make it time out and issue an error I do not know.

NO, the ref to windows was just an example. IE, windows does similar things when it is trying to verify components.
Why they don't make it time out and issue an error I do not know.

My guess is that it may be that the problem is occurring beneath the level of operating system programming, and as such it is halting the microcode running on the processor itself. This then stops the multi-core (pseudo-parallel processing) code, which still sits below the operating system (Windows, or iOS or whatever) which is still essentially a linear process, and therefore doesn’t actually progress through its code. Essentially, the computer itself doesn’t know it stopped.
I think the issue still lies with poor quality communication at a hardware level, this could be something as simple as a slightly dirty gold plated connector between devices, or less than the best handling of voltage fluctuations, and therefore it can drop the odd one or zero causing comms errors. Always an excellent reason to have a good quality eraser to hand to keep these clean.

Thanks fellows! I got the basic understanding of what you said though it’s above my pay grade a kot[emoji12]. I’ll check the connector and cord before I fly again. Good info and thanks again for posting!
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom