Contacting local Airports

Reaction score
I’m curious how other drone owners contact airports if they are within the 5 mile radius. I have one small airport and about six private airports around my main flying area. I have emailed the small airport but haven’t gotten a response back, even with a follow up email.

The only information I can find for the private airport is a supposed mailing address for the owner.

Just wanted to get feedback/suggestions from more experienced drone operators.

Last edited:
Thanks, still seems ridiculous to have to make seven phone calls before I can use my drone. Especially considering all but one are private airports

Last edited:
Thanks, still seems ridiculous to have to make seven phone calls before I can use my drone. Especially considering all but one are private airports

So they don't have an answering machine? You are not required to obtain permission, only notify them of the flight.

I'd say an email in advance of the flight would be good enough as well. Include your phone number.

So maybe I don’t need to contact the airport. “A hobbyist may choose to operate under the requirements of Part 107 as it may be beneficial, for example there is no requirement to operate under any CBO guidelines or to notify nearby airports. Another benefit of operating under Part 107 is you can seek approval for access to certain airspace (Class B, C, D, and portions of E) via a process mostly automated. An operator can make this request to air traffic control via the FAA’s UAS website . “

So maybe I don’t need to contact the airport. “A hobbyist may choose to operate under the requirements of Part 107 as it may be beneficial, for example there is no requirement to operate under any CBO guidelines or to notify nearby airports. Another benefit of operating under Part 107 is you can seek approval for access to certain airspace (Class B, C, D, and portions of E) via a process mostly automated. An operator can make this request to air traffic control via the FAA’s UAS website . “

Well just to be clear, you can operate under Part 107 provided that you have an FAA Remote Pilot License - i.e. you are Part 107 certified. Are you?

Once you are a Part 107 holder you can decide, per flight, whether you're going to operate that flight completely as a Hobbyist or as Part 107 flight. Whichever the operator chooses the entire flight must be flown under those circumstances.

For instance: As a hobbyist you can fly within 5 miles of an airport (in Controlled Air Space) by simply giving ATC a notification of your intentions. Part 107 is required to get an Airspace Authorization for Controlled air Space which right now takes upwards of 90 days in some instances. So one might think they could A) Start the flight within 5 miles of the airport using "Notification Only" method and B) once in the air convert to a Part 107/Commercial/Civil flight and fly for furthering their business.

This is VERY wrong and why the entire flight must adhere to the rules/guidelines that you started the flight with. You can NOT mix & match the regulations to suit your needs/desires.

That's where the statement you quoted stems from. If you aren't a Part 107 certificate holder you can not exercise the privileges of Part 107 FARs.

Once you are a Part 107 holder you can decide, per flight, whether you're going to operate that flight completely as a Hobbyist or as Part 107 flight. Whichever the operator chooses the entire flight must be flown under those circumstances.

For instance: As a hobbyist you can fly within 5 miles of an airport (in Controlled Air Space) by simply giving ATC a notification of your intentions. Part 107 is required to get an Airspace Authorization for Controlled air Space which right now takes upwards of 90 days in some instances. So one might think they could A) Start the flight within 5 miles of the airport using "Notification Only" method and B) once in the air convert to a Part 107/Commercial/Civil flight and fly for furthering their business.

This is VERY wrong and why the entire flight must adhere to the rules/guidelines that you started the flight with. You can NOT mix & match the regulations to suit your needs/desires.

That's where the statement you quoted stems from. If you aren't a Part 107 certificate holder you can not exercise the privileges of Part 107 FARs.

Al, did you mean to say that as a hobbyist you can fly in controlled airspace after getting "permission" of ATC?

Al, did you mean to say that as a hobbyist you can fly in controlled airspace after getting "permission" of ATC?

I did not mean to say "permission". The ONLY airspace (well airspace that we can realistically fly in as Alpha is 18,000 and up) that requires "Permission/Approval" for a Hobbyist is BRAVO. As a hobbyist your requirement is to NOTIFY if you're within 5m of the airport. Notify is key because they will not say "Permission Granted/Approved" etc. They will acknowledge your notification or they might "Deny" (they can tell you No if it causes a safety threat to the National Airspace) and it's up to you whether you fly or not (I would highly suggest NOT).

As a hobbyist you do have to get ATC permission to fly inside of any BRAVO air space.

Part 107 Operations must have Airspace Authorization (occasionally can still get verbal) prior to entering any "Controlled Airspace" except Golf airspace. It's a bit more confusing than that but to simplify it for the sake of this conversation let's keep it at that.

Reactions: ViperJ07
I did not mean to say "permission". The ONLY airspace (well airspace that we can realistically fly in as Alpha is 18,000 and up) that requires "Permission/Approval" for a Hobbyist is BRAVO. As a hobbyist your requirement is to NOTIFY if you're within 5m of the airport. Notify is key because they will not say "Permission Granted/Approved" etc. They will acknowledge your notification or they might "Deny" (they can tell you No if it causes a safety threat to the National Airspace) and it's up to you whether you fly or not (I would highly suggest NOT).

As a hobbyist you do have to get ATC permission to fly inside of any BRAVO air space.

Part 107 Operations must have Airspace Authorization (occasionally can still get verbal) prior to entering any "Controlled Airspace" except Golf airspace. It's a bit more confusing than that but to simplify it for the sake of this conversation let's keep it at that.

Copy.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am also a SEL private pilot and just got my part 107 cert a few months ago. Here is the verbiage from the FAA:

"Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination."

What I find a little confusing is: flying under Part 107 rules. Notifying any private airstrip within 5 miles of your flight. Most are not listed in the chart supplements and phone numbers listed in other directories like Airmap, etc. tend to be non-current. I don't think email existed back when most of these guys registered their airports. So I have to make 3 phone calls ( I still have yet to reach one of them for the first time) to go out and test fly for my business under part 107. That is my understanding and I find the requirement a bit nebulous in light of the poorly updated contact information.

Also, I understand that there is Beta test scheduled to start for a system through Airmap and one other provider that will facilitate almost instantaneous permissions from ATC controlled airports but what about these grass strip guys? I find that requirement to be rather annoying and hard to be in compliance.

As a follow up, I am having a hard time finding that notification requirement under Part 107 rules. There are statements that class G airspace is allowed and (unless I am mistaken) that includes most private airports with no tower. No verbiage about notifications

As a follow up, I am having a hard time finding that notification requirement under Part 107 rules. There are statements that class G airspace is allowed and (unless I am mistaken) that includes most private airports with no tower. No verbiage about notifications

Part 107 only requires contact if your Airspace Authorization/Waiver stipulates this. Class GOLF has no requirement but if you're fairly close to an airport, heliport, seaport it's a VERY good idea to make the notification just to be on the safe side.

roger that and I do make the attempts. It just gets a little annoying to try and fail repeatedly. (sort of like repeating the same behavior over and over and expecting a different result) You know what they say about that o_O. Flight service does have a utility to define a UOA (Usas Operating Area) for your part 107 flights for specific locations and times. A notam is not generated or required if there is no COA involved. I don't know how many manned pilots actually check that however.

roger that and I do make the attempts. It just gets a little annoying to try and fail repeatedly. (sort of like repeating the same behavior over and over and expecting a different result) You know what they say about that o_O. Flight service does have a utility to define a UOA (Usas Operating Area) for your part 107 flights for specific locations and times. A notam is not generated or required if there is no COA involved. I don't know how many manned pilots actually check that however.

We check them before EVERY flight now. This time 2 years ago not so much but today EVERY flight.

1-800-WXBRIEF is how you can get your NOTAM published. This gives you a 2 part system in that your conversation is recorded Just In Case there is an incident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72