contact cleaning

Reaction score
hey, just wondering whats the best way and things to use to clean the contacts in the phantom that the battery connects too

noticed some black markings starting to appear now from sliding the battery on and off the connectors so i want to clean them off to avoid any sudden power loss while in the air

cheers.

Perhaps somewhat controversial but I use a typewriter eraser to slightly burnish the surface. Controversial in that these surfaces are plated and any burnishing can cause the plating to come off. That said, a very light burnishing on occasion shouldn't cause any problems. What's a typewriter eraser?. (Google)
Secondly, you must clean after the eraser to eliminate any eraser crumbs that might be left. You can use household alcohol. After that I apply a light coating of contact cleaner. I use DeOxit D-5.

I also suggest not to overdue this. Maybe after every 3-5 flights.

Recently I did the eraser job but didn't clean it after. During the next flight I got an error saying "battery communication error, fly carefully" about that time it fell out of the sky with no power from 80'! Now, with the follow up of cleaning I've had no further problems.

Geo

im guessing i have to spray it on a cotton bud or something as i cant just spray it directly on the contacts

assamite1984 said:
im guessing i have to spray it on a cotton bud or something as i cant just spray it directly on the contacts
The DeOxit I bought is not a spray... and came with several synthetic, non-cotton swabs... seemed to be the way to go.

Geoelectro said:
Perhaps somewhat controversial but I use a typewriter eraser to slightly burnish the surface........What's a typewriter eraser?. (Google)

Geo
Geoelectro,
I got a real good :lol: when you put that in there. Or you may have been asked, "What's a typewriter?"
About as bad as telling young people about an 8 track tape player. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl