Connecting the compass from the landing gear to the Power Interface Module in the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0

Reaction score
So, it looks like the way the landing gear is connected to the rest of the drone is different in the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 as compared to the Phantom 4 Pro, and it's really annoying because it looks like every video online shows the Phantom 4 Pro. Basically, as can be seen here, with the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 there are only two antenna wires instead of four: a gray one and a white one; and more importantly the two compass wires are in opposite corners: the front left-hand corner and the back right-hand corner. Disregarding this AliExpress link, that's also what I see on my Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 that I took apart a few months ago.

So here's my issue: I'm trying to reassemble my drone, and one of the two compass wires that are in opposite corners is too short to reach to the Power Interface Module (the board in the front of the drone). I don't get it. I cannot flip over one of the feet, so that the two wires would come from the front of the drone, as the two feet aren't symmetrical. Somehow, everything was connected, but I can't figure it out.

Does anyone have experience with doing repairs with the V2.0 version of the drone?

Last edited:
To illustrate my issue: the connectors from the compass are circled in red. Where I need to connect them (where the Power Interface Module will be) is circled in green. For the top left connector there's no issue, but the bottom right one is way too short.

drone_issue.jpg

It seems like I cannot make both of them come from the same side because I can't flip just one foot over, as the feet aren't symmetrical... What am I missing?

Last edited:
To illustrate my issue: the connectors from the compass are circled in red. Where I need to connect them (where the power interface module will be) is circled in green. For the top left connector there's no issue, but the bottom right one is way too short.

View attachment 118149

It seems like I cannot make both of them come from the same side because I can't flip just one foot over, as the feet aren't symmetrical... What am I missing?

To illustrate my issue: the connectors from the compass are circled in red. Where I need to connect them (where the power interface module will be) is circled in green. For the top left connector there's no issue, but the bottom right one is way too short.

View attachment 118149

View attachment 118149

I can't insert the end circled in green back into the module. I disconnected it from the landing gear to give more cord but the space is just too small.

Why can't you just flip "both" to the other side?

If I flip both, the problem is the same: the two compass cables are still in opposite corners, just the two other ones. As long as the compass cables are in opposite corners, they can't both reach the front of the drone (where the Power Interface Module is).

I can't insert the end circled in green back into the module. I disconnected it from the landing gear to give more cord but the space is just too small.

I don’t understand what you are saying, what I circled in green is where the module is, so the end that is there (circled in red) definitely reaches it. It's the other one that's too far away.

Anyway, are you saying the drone works with one of the compasses disconnected in the landing gear?

I found an old picture that dates back from when I took my drone apart, which shows the setup it had:

925545BC-3A8F-4784-BC99-40246BEE2D97.jpeg

• In the back left-hand corner: gray antenna cable.
  • In the front right-hand corner: white antenna cable.
  • In the front left-hand corner: gray compass cable with a large connector that I can connect to the power interface module.
  • In the back right-hand corner: white compass cable with a small connector (that I still have), which is too short to reach the Power Interface Module and whose connector is too small to fit in the connector on the module anyway.
I have no idea what to connect this last cable to, I see nothing. It would make sense if a second cable that went from that connector to the Power Interface Module existed, but I don't have that, can't find it in websites that list Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 parts, can't find it for sale etc., so it probably doesn't exist. I'm very confused.

Okay I'm pretty sure I've figured it out. The white compass cable from the back right-hand corner should simply be connected to... nothing I believe. And one of the connectors from the Power Interface Module should remain empty. The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 probably only uses a single compass. That would explain why when you buy a landing gear replacement for the V2.0 version of the drone, they only give you one connector. Since they reduced the number of antennas from four to two, it makes sense that they would have reduced the number of used compasses from 2 to 1 I guess.

Now, why there is still a connector in the other foot with presumably another compass, I have no idea. So that they can connect it to this white cable in case the other one fails?

I just went through this exact scenario last week as I was replacing the shells and landing gear on my v2.0. Yes each leg has one wire as you described. Then there is a multi-wire cable that comes from the connector shown in this picture and goes into one of the legs to the tiny board and receptacle on it. As you are assembling the shell, route that cable as shown in the pic just before you close it up. It can be a bit confusing.
p4pinnards-1.jpg

Okay I'm pretty sure I've figured it out. The white compass cable from the back right-hand corner should simply be connected to... nothing I believe. And one of the connectors from the Power Interface Module should remain empty. The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 probably only uses a single compass. That would explain why when you buy a landing gear replacement for the V2.0 version of the drone, they only give you one connector. Since they reduced the number of antennas from four to two, it makes sense that they would have reduced the number of used compasses from 2 to 1 I guess.

Now, why there is still a connector in the other foot with presumably another compass, I have no idea. So that they can connect it to this white cable in case the other one fails?

Yes!

Thanks a lot for confirming! It's really odd that one of the connectors is supposed to remain empty, but I guess they just didn't want to redesign the Power Interface Module for the V2.0.

I don’t understand what you are saying, what I circled in green is where the module is, so the end that is there (circled in red) definitely reaches it. It's the other one that's too far away.

Anyway, are you saying the drone works with one of the compasses disconnected in the landing gear?
I believe the short cable with identical connectors on both ends that connects into the right landing gear is for transmission from the drone to the controller. I damaged the connection on the drone and couldn't insert it. I reassembled the drone and powered it up and could not connected on Go 4.

I believe the short cable with identical connectors on both ends that connects into the right landing gear is for transmission from the drone to the controller. I damaged the connection on the drone and couldn't insert it. I reassembled the drone and powered it up and could not connected on Go 4.
Thanks for clearing this issue up for me as well. I was going mad. I thought I had misplaced the cable not knowing that by default DJI purposefully left one compass port empty. Look at the attached. So can I say that it is safe to fly the drone using only one compass??

Attachments

• P4PV2 MAIN BOARD.jpg
    P4PV2 MAIN BOARD.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 917
OK, I have read through all of this. I repair DJI drones and have consulted with DJI on this before. Here is the short answer.
The compass cable with both ends the same connects to the 3 in 1 board on top. It is almost under the downward sensors. Many times this cable is damaged in a crash and you are left looking for a replacement. As of today you will not find one. There is a secret cure for this. Some people take 2 of the regular P4P compass cables and combine them so they end up with a cable with both ends the same small connector. We have found that this is difficult for some to do. You need to solder and use shrink tubing. Here is an easy way to solve this.
Take a leg for the P4p on that side and use it. There will be an antenna wire you won't need. just disregard it or take it out.
Use a regular compass cable and plug it into the empty spot on the power board opposite the other compass connection. You will now have both compasses working. Someday when the "special" cable is available you can put everything back . But why bother. We have used this method several times with no issues.

Thanks for clearing this issue up for me as well. I was going mad. I thought I had misplaced the cable not knowing that by default DJI purposefully left one compass port empty. Look at the attached. So can I say that it is safe to fly the drone using only one compass??
that cable connects to the 3 in 1 board near the downward sensor

goes on the 3 in 1 board as shown

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 299
OK, I have read through all of this. I repair DJI drones and have consulted with DJI on this before. Here is the short answer.
The compass cable with both ends the same connects to the 3 in 1 board on top. It is almost under the downward sensors. Many times this cable is damaged in a crash and you are left looking for a replacement. As of today you will not find one. There is a secret cure for this. Some people take 2 of the regular P4P compass cables and combine them so they end up with a cable with both ends the same small connector. We have found that this is difficult for some to do. You need to solder and use shrink tubing. Here is an easy way to solve this.
Take a leg for the P4p on that side and use it. There will be an antenna wire you won't need. just disregard it or take it out.
Use a regular compass cable and plug it into the empty spot on the power board opposite the other compass connection. You will now have both compasses working. Someday when the "special" cable is available you can put everything back . But why bother. We have used this method several times with no issues.
Thanks for posting this, I have been going crazy for the last couple of weeks trying to find one of these wires and they are nowhere to be found. If I understand you right, I just use a P4P landing gear leg and plug the P4P wire into the open slot on the powerboard and everything work normal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.