Confusing dji article

^^^^ This makes a lotta sense...
^^^^ This makes no sense at all.
All you people getting your knickers in a twist over what you IMAGINE might be coming are almost certainly completely misunderstanding what DJI is doing.
How about waiting to you have some actual facts before going off at the deep end.
It just makes you look silly.

Reactions: WyoFlier and sar104
I'm starting to think you are right. DJI is worried about lawsuits since the U.S. Federal Appeals Court ruling says we can fly drones anonymously. If one of us does something naughty with a drone, they wanna be able to find out who did what and report it to the authorities.
I'm gonna really enjoy my attorney taking DJI to the cleaners ..... I might be able to afford a new 2017 Lamborghini Aventador with the settlement check :p
Like so much in this thread, this is complete nonsense. Really stupid stuff that doesn't stand up to any intelligent analysis.
It has absolutely nothing to do with any recent court decisions in the USA and probably little if anything to do with the FAA.
We're dealing with a company located in a country that enjoys spying on it's 1.4 billion citizens with impunity. Now, this company wants to spy on every other country using their drones as the surveillance apparatus. Welcome to Big Brother ....... Ming-style, baby :eek:
You might like to broaden your education by looking into what the NSA does.

2, its been clearly stated that AS LONG AS YOU LOG IN NO RESTRICTIONS WILL APPLY
That statement from DJI only means that as long as you update, the penalty limitations (preventing live camera streaming and limiting your flights to a 50 meter radius and 30 meter altitude) will not apply, it does not indicate that the update itself will offer no new restrictions. That's true even if it is in red. ;)

Until we know exactly what "ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile" means then we don't have the full answer. But yes, no one should be jumping to any conclusions until all this is clear and both the wild assumptions concerning limitations and the assurances that all this is nothing are meaningless until this settles out.

Last edited:
^^^^ This makes no sense at all.
All you people getting your knickers in a twist over what you IMAGINE might be coming are almost certainly completely misunderstanding what DJI is doing.
How about waiting to you have some actual facts before going off at the deep end.
It just makes you look silly.
Err, I guess I should not believe this article either..
DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

Yes I have a huge problem with this which I'm sure many others will to.

"City fliers, prepare to start taking country trips to get your flying fix."

My first thought after reading the email and following the link was confirmed...

Like so much in this thread, this is complete nonsense. Really stupid stuff that doesn't stand up to any intelligent analysis.
It has absolutely nothing to do with any recent court decisions in the USA and probably little if anything to do with the FAA.

You might like to broaden your education by looking into what the NSA does.
Sorry we should have checked with you first before we all showed interest in dji's vague update announcement. As you were everybody, Meta4 says don't worry about it so it must not be a big deal.............. Funny you can say for sure what its not but were all stupid for having an opinion about what it may mean. Were stupid for guessing but you know for sure what its not. So how long you been with dji again?

Last edited:
Reactions: DC_Dr0ne
Err, I guess I should not believe this article either..
DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

I believe the biggest issue is that the email that DJI sent to everyone raises more questions than it answers. The email specifically says that available functions would be determined by your profile and geographic location but says absolutely nothing about what any limitations might be. It's no wonder that some people are concerned.
It would have been very easy for DJI to include in that email, a link to a table which clearly shows any limitations by region. They made no effort to do so or even to clarify what "functions" they were referring to. They have also ignored requests in another forum to provide any clarification. Personally, I'm disappointed but not surprised at the poor nature of the DJI communication on this change. I'm not going to panic but any panic that does exist in this forum is purely as a result of DJI's poor customer communication skills.

I believe the biggest issue is that the email that DJI sent to everyone raises more questions than it answers. The email specifically says that available functions would be determined by your profile and geographic location but says absolutely nothing about what any limitations might be. It's no wonder that some people are concerned.
It would have been very easy for DJI to include in that email, a link to a table which clearly shows any limitations by region. They made no effort to do so or even to clarify what "functions" they were referring to. They have also ignored requests in another forum to provide any clarification. Personally, I'm disappointed but not surprised at the poor nature of the DJI communication on this change. I'm not going to panic but any panic that does exist in this forum is purely as a result of DJI's poor customer communication skills.
At the bottom of the email is a link that explains a lttle...

>>> DJI - Fly Safe

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 01.30.07.png

According to post #23 above - yes, you shouldn't believe it.
"City fliers, prepare to start taking country trips to get your flying fix."
My first thought after reading the email and following the link was confirmed...
Your problem (and many others here) is that you're going off at something you imagine without knowing what it really is.
All the inflammatory talk is only confusing things and escalating the panic unnecessarily.

Reactions: sar104 and V tail
Sorry we should have checked with you first before we all showed interest in dji's vague update announcement. As you were everybody, Meta4 says don't worry about it so it must not be a big deal.............. Funny you can say for sure what its not but were all stupid for having an opinion about what it may mean. Were stupid for guessing but you know for sure what its not. So how long you been with dji again?
No .. you should wait to find out what DJI's doing rather than going off with the pitchforks and flaming torches over what you imagine.

Reactions: sar104
I never mentioned anything about pitch forks or torches. I simply stated what I felt like this update means given what I have learned and what is obvious given recent events and you felt the need to pick every single piece of it apart and blasted the people that agreed with me. I stand by my earlier statement and its looking more and more like I am correct.

I never mentioned anything about pitch forks or torches. I simply stated what I felt like this update means given what I have learned and what is obvious given recent events and you felt the need to pick every single piece of it apart and blasted the people that agreed with me. I stand by my earlier statement and its looking more and more like I am correct.
It's looking more and more like you (and quite a few others here) have no idea at all but don't allow that to get in the way.

Wow. Just wow. Everyone needs to take a breath.

Seems there has been a terrorist bombing in my hometown of Manchester tonight, a few miles away from me. Putting this whole DJI update fiasco in perspective.

Reactions: Helihover
According to post #23 above - yes, you shouldn't believe it.

Your problem (and many others here) is that you're going off at something you imagine without knowing what it really is.
All the inflammatory talk is only confusing things and escalating the panic unnecessarily.
Maybe so but if things were explained clearly we wouldn't be here, don't you think its really strange that they made an announcement about a coming firmware instead of just releasing it ? Something fishy's goin on...

Maybe so but if things were explained clearly we wouldn't be here, don't you think its really strange that they made an announcement about a coming firmware instead of just releasing it ? Something fishy's goin on...

This is completely ridiculous. If they don't announce things you all get offended and now you are worked up because they have announced something. How do you ever sleep at night? The government is out to get you, DJI is out to get you, everyone is out to get you. Do you learn nothing from history? These kinds of wild inflammatory theories never turn out to be correct. Look back even on this forum, and you will find endless similar examples of posters predicting dire restrictions, everyone deserting DJI, and endless lawsuits. It doesn't happen. There's nothing fishy here at all. It's not strange. And they don't owe you a more detailed explantion just to assuage your irrational fears. Just stop acting like a child.

Ok so the whole issue is vague as to what is going to be the nett effect.
One question, assuming one has done the re-log in BS and your country of origin/flight location is geospatially correct, what happens when you want to take your bird, A/C not girlfriend, on a holiday?

Ever-helpful DJI Joe's comments do not adress the fundamental question concerning the statement "This new step, to take effect at the end of next week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile." from the DJI announcement.

What's confusing is that DJI aircraft already use geospatial information based on GPS location to determine hard flight restrictions (NFZ's and Authorization Zones), and also provides advisory information via the Geo system. Since all of this is already in place now, exactly what is changing? Until that is clarified nothing has been answered.

Reactions: Casper`s P4
Ever-helpful DJI Joe's comments do not adress the fundamental question concerning the statement "This new step, to take effect at the end of next week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile." from the DJI announcement.

What's confusing is that DJI aircraft already use geospatial information based on GPS location to determine hard flight restrictions (NFZ's and Authorization Zones), and also provides advisory information via the Geo system. Since all of this is already in place now, exactly what is changing? Until that is clarified nothing has been answered.

I wonder if they are going to differentiate between hobby and Part 107 in the US so that, for example, it reminds hobby flies to call any airports within 5 miles but uses airspace classification for Part 107 pilots. That would be a significant improvement, but might be too data rich at this stage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor