Confusing dji article

The drone people have no appreciation for how simplistic the rules they have to follow are, compared to flying a "real" airplane.
FWIW I have a license to fly real airplanes, and real helicopters too, and I understand how your father felt. And yes, drone regulations aren't nearly as complicated... yet... ;)

Reactions: Crack The Sky
Nothing's going to change peeps..... What everyone is complaining about is already in place:)

What REALLY needs to happen is a separation from commercial and hobby. I can already see the two growing apart and if DJI could separate the two, we'd be sitting pretty good.

Quoted straight from US DJI support....

"we are asking for a one time activation after this update.. this is updating the current profile with geo location . It's truly that simple.. others would like to think something evil is going on... I tell them don't update until they see the waters are fine..

It's truly amazing though some of the conspiracies people have come up with, even when our current system has become more relaxed and not more constrictive
rolleyes.gif
"

I think that's correct. If you update the firmware and the DJI Go4 App and DO NOT register, then your drone will be severely disabled. Ain't that just great? I'll have a Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Pro in the same condition as I'm in.

Bud

Hold on and I reading it wrong?

Does the restrictions only apply if you DO update but DONT re register? Is that where I'm getting confused?

OK, so, bottom line. If I do nothing, and there are consequences... will they show up this coming weekend?
No. If you do nothing such as do not update the Go 4 app nor update the firmware you will still operate as you have operated in the past.

The new app and new firmware instate the new rules.

Hi msinger;

Can you help me by telling me what setting to put my iPad Mini 4 in so that I can still use it to fly, but will not automatically download the DJI Go4 app or any firmware?

Thanks for any help.

Bud

DJI is not clear as to what's going to be restricted with these new changes in place. If you don't want to be affected by the changes, then make sure you're running everything in a bubble (i.e. don't connect to the Internet, don't update DJI GO, don't update the firmware). Running in a bubble is not really practical though. Whatever DJI is cooking up will most likely be applied to anything you buy from them in the future.

On another note. If you upgrade the DJI Go4 App and any new firmware (with all the new geo-mapping relevant to your region), and do the new one-time only re-registration of your drone, then perhaps they've set it up so that you won't be able to override anything if you are inside any type of NO FLY ZONE such as within a certain distance of any airport, aerodrome or airstrip, ANYWHERE.

I sure hope THAT isn't what they're doing to us all at DJI.

This is how we need to fight back against the arrogant DJI ---- let's all band together and file a class action lawsuit against them and teach 'em a good lesson that WE are the boss because we buy their products. They are not Big Brother and can not arbitrarily decide who is breaking mysterious parameters about height or distance limits. This is exactly how the Chinese govt. works in secrecy and it really p*sses me off that a Chinese company thinks they have a right to monitor and control what their customers do in every country of the world !! Communism is NOT my cup of tea! :mad:

This (second to last sentence). This is the norm where DJI is based. People are expected to fall in line.

I believe it means that by updating the firmware and/or the DJI Go 4 App, that you will not be allowed to fly your drone in those specific NO FLY ZONES that (the FAA or in my case Transport Canada) deem unsafe.

These specific areas or Geospatial Zones will be built into the drone so that it probably won't even start if you are within a certain distance of an airport, an aerodrome, or anywhere an aircraft (helo's included) can take off.

I'm almost certain that by using firmware, DJI can prevent a drone from even starting their motors if you attempt to fly anywhere that the new firmware upgrade says is unlawful.

Just my humble opinion.

Bud

Everyone is getting hung up on the piece of the notification that states there will be limitations if you don't login. That's not the concerning bit. The bit that says:

"This new step, to take effect at the end of next week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile."

What the heck does that mean?? The correct set of functions as determined by my geographical location. The correct set of functions are the ones I purchased when I bought my P4. Nothing more or less.

And how does this affect second hand drones, where the bird wasn't initially registered in the owners name?

.... but, if the US government has told DJI that unless they insert firmware that will allow the drone to do only this, or only that, then they will stop all importation of drones from DJI.

This could certainly force DJI to do what the US government tells them to do, don't you think? Perhaps it's not on DJI at all. Maybe this is all coming from the US government in an attempt to curtail the actions of drone pilots like that dangerous fool Neistat in New York City for example.

Bud

This is how we need to fight back against the arrogant DJI ---- let's all band together and file a class action lawsuit against them and teach 'em a good lesson that WE are the boss because we buy their products. They are not Big Brother and can not arbitrarily decide who is breaking mysterious parameters about height or distance limits. This is exactly how the Chinese govt. works in secrecy and it really p*sses me off that a Chinese company thinks they have a right to monitor and control what their customers do in every country of the world !! Communism is NOT my cup of tea! :mad:

I think in certain circumstances this is an excellent idea. However, what drone company makes a drone as good and as versatile and as affordable as DJI?

Besides, it wouldn't be very long before these same restriction would be imposed on all drone manufacturers that wish to export their products to the US and other countries.

Bud

Why do you put up with such abuse?
Why not vote with your wallet and move along to another brand/make/model?

Reactions: Falcon900
That's two comments Sparky.

Bud

I believe there is a higher authority behind these changes that are forcing DJI to make changes.
It seems certain authorities have stuff to hide and the fact we've taken back a fraction of our power in the name of fun and freedom we've rumbled some cages somewhere.
I've one comment for them [emoji111]

I don't know why DJI doesn't just simply jump the gun so to speak and install firmware that would automatically force the drone to descend to say 25 ft. off the ground if it came within a certain distance of any aircraft. Then, after the aircraft was a certain distance away, the pilot would be able to resume whatever he or she was doing.

To my way of thinking, this would alleviate all of the worries of colliding with private or commercial aircraft.

It couldn't be that difficult to do could it?

Bud

I understand the concern, but it may be unrealistic to expect that there will be no further restrictions. As these become more popular they will probably need to be more regulated for all kinds of reasons - safety, privacy, noise, nuisance etc.. The new UAVs really are a paradigm shift in terms of airspace use.

If I had to guess, at this point, I think that all except the real toy aircraft will end up with transponders along the lines of ADS-B, not in order to spy on or track the users but to avoid conflicts with other traffic and to keep them out of TFRs and other restricted airspace. Maybe there will also be some kind of flexibility introduced for very low-altitude flights of limited range.

Voting with your wallet is fine, but what if you just dropped $1200+ and aren't quite ready to throw that in the garbage?

Reactions: Drusha
Can you help me by telling me what setting to put my iPad Mini 4 in so that I can still use it to fly, but will not automatically download the DJI Go4 app or any firmware?
To prevent new DJI GO app updates from auto installing, disable the "Updates" setting in iOS like this. You don't need to worry about the firmware. It doesn't automatically update.

Thank you very much msinger. I appreciate your kind assistance.

All the best to you sir.

Bud

To prevent new DJI GO app updates from auto installing, disable the "Updates" setting in iOS like this. You don't need to worry about the firmware. It doesn't automatically update.

I have a p3p with older firmware but runs on current app. I have turned everything on and have not received this message everyone is talking about. Will the new Go App force me to update to continue to use it like they did when they dropped google maps? Then once you update the app will they force me to update my firmware?? Or do they just want people to log into the account on the app? I am always logged in so is this why I havent seen this pop up message on my app???

You see this statement a lot but it's rather naive. Even DJI's own white paper (linked above) points out many perfectly legal situations where broadcast of ID would be undesirable.

I disagree. I see no reason why a user of the NAS should expect anonymity in any of those situations.

Reactions: Crack The Sky

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel