Concise Procedure for Unlocking NO FLY (Yellow) Zones?

Reaction score
Has anyone worked out the step-by-step workflow for unlocking a NoFly Zone in the United States?

My confusion comes from first working with a desktop computer while planning, and then later working with my non-phone - wifi only - mobile device (GO App) in the field. I do not want a conflict in the field. I have not yet tried this; just wanting to avoid this conflict/surprise after driving many miles to a location.

Say, two days before flying I have been authorized for a specific time window by the local Air Force base, which is Class D Airspace (and Yellow on the account.dji.com unlock page). I have done the unlock ON MY DESKTOP at this point.

My question boils down to this: When I arrive at the area in question and am ready to call the ATC guy, how does my device know it is okay to fly in the zone?

Please accept my apology if this is a dumb question, but what is the basic procedure to be sure the mobile device and GO App do not give you any trouble in your unlocked area?

Oh, and BY THE WAY, I do not have the latest DJI GO App on my Android tablet used for flying; mine happens to be Version 2.1.0, for several reasons including the fact IT WORKS without any issues.

Thanks - Phil

Last edited:
I was given a new GOapp 2.7.0 by dji tech guys and when I ran it . . it seems to have automatically upgraded by GO App v2.6.0 to v3.0.0 . . . and it all worked but not without a lot of messy procedural stuff that is anything by straight forward. The "unlimit" switch remains greyed out after being activated only ONCE ( that's because it activates the whole time period even over several days and cannot be activated a second time so being greyed out it seems like to are no longer "unlimited" in the location) . . and I needed a web connection in the field to allow it to activate in the first place, so I had to set up a hotspot on my iphone to allow a wifi connection to the djiGO app on the ipad. Perhaps you can activate an area at home but I was given to believe it can only be activated when you are on site and the right time/date . . so I never tried to fly when I went back a second time because it was greyed out.
All very confusing. . . have you had any better luck?

What color is the area you are trying to unlock. Yellow or red. The way I see them when I'm flying is this... Red = NFZ (I don't know that you can unlock these) Yellow = authorization zones (you can unlock these) for me I have an iPad air. I just check the boxs that pop up and go.

All very confusing. . . have you had any better luck?
No. Still sticky and cumbersome. In fact, since things have changed a lot since my original post - NOW flying under the Part 107 - I find things even more difficult due to having a non-phone/non-data tablet controlling the aircraft.
I know DJI meant well (or perhaps was also trying not to be involved in lawsuits in the USA), but I have always felt it is the responsibility of the Remote Pilot to fly safely and NOT that of DJI to play big brother. After all, that is how it works for manned aircraft, yes?

This "second guess system" to my own good sense is THE ONLY REASON I have not purchased a Mavic, as wonderful as it is. Oh well. Sorry for the useless rant.

I see it both ways. I understand the frustration with the system especially if you don't have the ability to unlock in the field. I will say I live in an area about 60 miles from an active military bombing range, it is locked down as a NFZ. I know that there are countless idiots running around with these things who absolutely would fly them where they aren't supposed to be flying them. So I see it both ways. As to the unlock of "authorization zones" I simply click the check boxes and click confirm. That's it takes a total of about 2 seconds. Am I missing something?

Reactions: NRJ
No I must be the one missing things... I see how it is done now but there is no "click click GO" here in Canada... Why does a Chinese flying camera have any say in Canadian airspace at all... Especially when I sign off on a " you're not responsible " clause

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The dji doc tells you all ABOUT the system and how it works . . but the mechanics of doing it are hardly clear.
I finally figured things out . . . here are some things I found confusing.

DJI had me download v2.7.0 "DJI GO-unlimit" app . . but it somehow upgraded my "DJI GO" v2.6.0 to v3.0.0 and added the "unlimit" switch menu to both versions. . . and there was no indication that I required an internet link to make it work ( there should be a prompt or at least a reminder in the Unlimit switch panel). Also, no one mentioned that the "Unlimit" switch can only be activated when you are AT THE LOCATION . . and only with a web connection . . . and CAN ONLY BE ACTIVATED ONCE per requested time and place, even if it spans several days. So if you go back to the same site a few days later, a second time, you find the Activation switch Greyed out again telling you it is no longer valid even though it is still within the time that was approved . . .I t appeared as though you needed to select the mission and then activate it ANYTIME you are in the LOCATION and during an approved TIME. No . . instead it means "you've already activated the area for the 5 day period". It did not make any sense to try to takeoff or FLY in a limited area with the "Unlimit" switch Greyed Out, so initially I did not try. . . Finally I said what the heck and took off anyway. . . Also, what does the YELLOW circle mean if the area has been set to "unlimited"? makes no sense either.

That interface needs a bit of work!
and why does a Chinese Camera company have any say over Canadian Airspace . . especially when I've signed a complete release of them having any responsibility over any event.

Last edited:
I need to clarify why this appears not to work well in the field...I know this is going to reveal my ignorance, but so be it.

My Android tablet has no data connection; it only has wi-fi and GPS. I use cached maps on the tablet.
When I check the no-fly zones ahead of time, I am on my desktop computer, sign-in and do the required unlock procedure on my account.
My tablet, of course, has no idea I did this.

So, is everybody signing in FROM their wifi only tablet only, or...? I just need a simple procedure to follow every time.

Is there any chance at all that DJI will drop this impediment from their DJI GO App in the near future? Or at least allow American 107 users to register and then be able to simply turn off this wonderful (not really) feature?

Reactions: Jason myers
Going back out this morning for more testing in the same RED and YELLOW zones. I'll try an document a more complete procedure although the tough part is just understanding the feature and how the interface is supposed to work. Phantom 4 is a great machine . . does everything I ask and seems to be quite forgiving occasionally in the hands of the untrained but they have to change/eliminate this function. WARNINGS are all that is actually needed!

I'm updating iPad4 mini to iOS10.1 too . . so wish me luck!

Last edited:
Got it to work finally, but here is the problem with the interface . . when you try to start engines the system in the restricted zone it prevents you and says NOFLY . . you are in a RED zone. Note: you must now have an internet link (either wifi or cellular) or nothing works. OK . . so you go to the "Unlimit" Screen and select the Unlimit function that is greyed out . . . Nothing . . . BUT . . if you touch the LAT LONG Date/TIme there is still no indication you selected anything . .all is greyed out . below you notice a pop up that says "Data sent to Aircraft" . . . the Unlimit switch is still greyed out, but if you now try it . . it switches ON and the RED Zone disappears. . and you can now start the aircraft and FLY . . . then it warns you "you are near an airport - the aircraft will pause and hover" but . . there is no RED zone and the P4 will happily fly anywhere you send it. . . the interface is anything but straight forward. It would be a lot easier to understand the function if it at least lets you know you selected the unlimited zone in the DJI interface and then either activate it or deactivate it at a time that is authorized . . My preference would be to scrap all this "approval" stuff and make it advisory for those of us who have already been authorized by our respective governments.
IMG_5757.JPG

I stayed away from the on-course and communicated with any aircraft approaching or departing and was finally able to get the video the farmer was after . .mainly a "Corn maze" constructed for Halloween . . Immediately after I shut down the display looked like this. RED zone was back and NOFLY was restored . . so I had to repeat the whole process when I changed batteries.

FlitPath.jpg

I went to 400ft... I did get a 3 month UNLOCK from DJI... and after resolving some typos in the location all was find till I had to send it back for a IMU calibration issue . Now got it back few days ago. Now it's a new serial no. So have to apply again

I'm so glad that Latvia is not implemented in the GEO FlySafe system. WE still have the Red / pale Red older zone system.

Nigel

Just spent some time with DJI exec at trade show in Toronto... they are streamlining the process for pre cleared operators that should fix things a bit... bigger issue still is transport Canada regulation framework

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic