Composing and recording music

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice, assuming they'll be a few music composers on the forum.

We're a poly family: three wonderful women and myself. One is the niece of a famous international singer (and film star) who had many No 1 hits. The aunt is now deceased, but the musical influence and ear for detail was passed down to the niece. I don't want to give her real name, but her nickname - approved by herself, and often used in public - is Nipples.

Nipples has helped select five tracks for five films that we've done or are doing. And they're good. But the choice of fee-paying royalty free music out there is mostly mediocre. Nipples thinks she can probably do better. She's composed the occasional song for us on her guitar, but this is different. But if she can compose a piece of "background" cinematic music like she can dance, then it'll be great or at least better than a lot available.

I understand she'll need a DAW. There are many product reviews online, but I'm ignorant. I don't want to contact a top musical composer I know, simply because this is a much simpler "home" effort that we're looking at. So who of you on our forum has the necessary experience of composing and recording music on a DAW? What advice/guidance would you give? Nipples is highly intelligent and a quick learner. Whether at a live concert or listening to recorded music, she hears levels or detail that the vast majority of us miss.

Thank you, in anticipation.

A DAW is actually a workstation with faders and input/output jacks. This is something to work toward after familiarizing yourself with the software of choice.
Personally I use a focusrite 2i2 interface and for software I use Mixcraft. I have used pro tools in the past but Mixcraft is very user friendly with a low learning curve and can output fully professional soundtracks.

Reactions: BigAl07
Nightwolf: Many thanks for your suggestion, which I'll pass on. Mixcraft sounds like a good option. (Sorry about the pun. :cool:)

Anyone else out there who composes their own music for drone films?

Reactions: Nightwolf
Here's my set up
20180831_165044.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj